Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Posters using affiliate links

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:18 pm
Is this against the rules?

Say I’m looking for great black skirt and I start a thread asking for recs. I’ve noticed certain posters are sending me to links using an affiliate link, where they can potentially make money off my purchase.

If it’s not against the rules, shouldn’t there be a disclaimer of some sort before posting?

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:27 pm
Why should there be a disclaimer?

If you ask for links and someone posts links you can use them or not.

It’s not like they’re starting a post advertising their links. They’re trying to be helpful and maybe get a small kickback in return

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is this against the rules?

Say I’m looking for great black skirt and I start a thread asking for recs. I’ve noticed certain posters are sending me to links using an affiliate link, where they can potentially make money off my purchase.

If it’s not against the rules, shouldn’t there be a disclaimer of some sort before posting?

If you like the skirt, who cares?

They aren't advertising their services or their own company, which is against the rules.

You need a product, they have a recommendation and will get paid of you like it too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:16 pm
Well there using the audience as a marketing tool. I like to know before I’m clicking on a random imas click if she is making money off me or if she’s helping out to be nice.

Everywhere else in the big wide world you need to put a disclaimer before posting an affiliate link.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Well there using the audience as a marketing tool. I like to know before I’m clicking on a random imas click if she is making money off me or if she’s helping out to be nice.

Everywhere else in the big wide world you need to put a disclaimer before posting an affiliate link.

If another yid is making money by helping me, that’s awesome!

Maybe after 120 you’ll see that shopping wasn’t just a waste of time, it was your way of giving parnossah to a fellow yid

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:17 pm
amother OP wrote:

Maybe there should be a rule that you need to put a disclaimer, or that it can only be posted under your username with a disclaimer in your signature line.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:18 pm
In the US, it's legally required to disclose when you are sharing affiliate links.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:18 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

Maybe after 120 you’ll see that shopping wasn’t just a waste of time, it was your way of giving parnossah to a fellow yid

It's great that a yid is making money, but transparency helps you make decisions over what to buy or not.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:19 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

So then I think there should be rules. Like you can’t post an affiliate link if you’re anonymous and you need a small disclaimer on the bottom of your post.

I find it very dishonest/distasteful

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:21 pm
Links from which you profit are addressed in the imamother rules, see #4: https://www.imamother.com/forum/rules.php

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
So then I think there should be rules. Like you can’t post an affiliate link if you’re anonymous and you need a small disclaimer on the bottom of your post.

I hear your request for a disclaimer, but why does it bother you if they’re anonymous?

Yael

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:23 pm
It is against the rules to post links with your affiliate link.
When you post a link without an affiliate code we get affiliate income automatically generated when a user clicks through it.
When someone uses their own affiliate link they are taking that income away from us for themselves. Our system doesn’t override your affiliate and it is wrong to take that away from us.

Imamother relies on income from ads and affiliates in order to keep us running. Please support us so that we can continue to be here for you.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:24 pm
amother OP wrote:

So you have no problem asking people to be your personal shopper for free but have an issue with someone making a few cents off of doing you a service when it still doesn't cost you anything?

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:27 pm
I would probably appreciate a disclaimer. It's not that I mind really, but I think it's polite to say that you would get money for someone using your link.
It's about honesty. And about being able to make an informed choice. Also I usually like to use websites where I can get my own cashback and if I'm using their link, I won't be able to do it myself.
I don't really care who the poster is, and whether they use their username. I just think they should mention that it's an affiliate link. When I click on links on betweencarpools or other websites or instagram, I assume they will be affiliate links. On imamother, I assume it's some helpful mom like me, and I wouldn't assume they're making money off helping me.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:31 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
So you have no problem asking people to be your personal shopper for free but have an issue with someone making a few cents off of doing you a service when it still doesn't cost you anything?

Aside from Yael saying it's an issue, I don't mind someone doing it, just tell me. Also if I post I'm looking for something, you can just move on past it. Unless you're someone who loves searching and shopping and will spend hours, most people will just post things they found for themselves. I will post links to the dress or coat or whatever I bought on amazon/ali. I won't spend ages searching for that item.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:

This has nothing to do with me not wanting someone else to make a few cents off me. It has to do with yashrus and honesty and promoting a business without the consumer knowing.

At this point this topic is irrelevant due to Yael’s post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics