Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Are we allowed to start talking about seminary 2024-2025?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 4:48 pm
With everything going on in Israel, has anyone's school starting talking about seminary? I wonder if there will still be open houses and interviews in the next few months.

And if your school starting talking, I'd love to hear any new/interesting information about seminaries for next year.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 5:10 pm
Yes!! In my daughter's school they definently are very busy with seminaries as usually
No idea about open houses but if anyone knows please post thanks!

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 5:20 pm
Seminary is a lucrative business and I am sure they will do everything they can to open as usual next year

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 5:27 pm
Yes they are planning open houses bezras hashem as usual. But applications will be distributed end of November instead of mid November to give 12th grade mom's a chance to calm down from what they are hearing and actually agree to let their kids go.

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:06 pm
do we think that less girls will go next year?

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:09 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:

Schools will be full. Maybe parents will hem and haw at the idea about being sent so far and dangerous but the students will not be afraid. Full schools, full tuitions.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:24 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:

Absolutely not.
By covid everyone said girls would stop going after the sense sent everyone home with no refunds. But that did not happen. The demand for sem is greater than ever

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
The demand for sem is greater than ever

This I completely do not agree with.
In the past few years I've heard more parents than ever before question the importance of sem, and I've seen more girls than before opt out of going.
The demand definitely is not more than before, no way

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:34 pm
Double post

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 2:36 pm
I also think that the same number of girls will keep going. In my OOT community, I'd say about 95% of the graduating seniors go.

So does anyone have any thoughts/questions about specific seminaries?

bubbyjane54

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 2:07 am
My granddaughter will be coming to seminary 2024-2025. She applied to 3 pretty "yeshivish" seminaries. I see plenty of scholarships available for "modern orthodox" seminaries, but I'm not seeing scholarships for "yeshivish" seminaries. Anyone have information about seminary scholarships. With tuition around $28,000, even with financial help from relatives, it will leave the family, where the father is a rebbe and already paying yeshivah tuitions for several children, with a rather large bill. Any help in finding scholarships is greatly appreciated. I know her high school principal has some places they can apply to, but I'm trying to help find more.

kugelEater

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 2:38 am
bubbyjane54 wrote:
My granddaughter will be coming to seminary 2024-2025. She applied to 3 pretty "yeshivish" seminaries. I see plenty of scholarships available for "modern orthodox" seminaries, but I'm not seeing scholarships for "yeshivish" seminaries. Anyone have information about seminary scholarships. With tuition around $28,000, even with financial help from relatives, it will leave the family, where the father is a rebbe and already paying yeshivah tuitions for several children, with a rather large bill. Any help in finding scholarships is greatly appreciated. I know her high school principal has some places they can apply to, but I'm trying to help find more.

As soon as she receives an acceptance letter, her parents should call the admissions office and ask for a break. The sooner the better, ie dont wait the entire week to make your decision. If she is accepted to more than 1 place, they can call and compare to find out which place would give the biggest break. My parents were able to get at least 5k off for my sister. If she is in NY/NJ, there are also college programs that give a substantial amt of govt funding/ FAFSA, and if she is planning on going for a degree anyway it is a great headstart.

bubbyjane54

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 2:51 am
Thanks. They are not in NY/NJ area. They are in the Midwest. I don’t know if college is in their picture. I will tell them to call and ask for a break as soon as she gets accepted. The HS principal told them they could expect about $8,000-9,000 off from all scholarships. Plus they have the $ for the deposit. So after the deposit and scholarship money they will be left with about $14,000-15,000. I’m trying to find more scholarship money for them.

kugelEater

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 2:54 am
bubbyjane54 wrote:
Thanks. They are not in NY/NJ area. They are in the Midwest. I don’t know if college is in their picture. I will tell them to call and ask for a break as soon as she gets accepted. The HS principal told them they could expect about $8,000-9,000 off from all scholarships. Plus they have the $ for the deposit. So after the deposit and scholarship money they will be left with about $14,000-15,000. I’m trying to find more scholarship money for them.

Not sure where your GD lives but if she is in chicago she should look into TI/HTC Israel option if college is in the picture, she can get FAFSA for that as well. TTI and Sara Schenirer are only worth it if you get the state grants on top of the federal, which you can only get in NY, but she can get state grants for TI if she lives in chicago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info