Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
A Question for Obama's Supporters
Previous  1  2  3  4

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 5:33 pm
flowerpower wrote:
The thing with Obama is that he's a good speaker and after hearing his speeches people get turned on by him and think he's the one.
Anyone who has the slightest intelligence will look past his (or any other politician's) speaking skills, and see if the issues he stands for are in line with what they want.

I'm not an Obama supporter, but not because of his race or religion. And sometimes it seems that those who carry on about his race know nothing of his policies, they simply look at him and decide to hate him because he's black.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 5:36 pm
many jews were upset that lieberman was on the ballot a couple of years ago. this might have been b/c they didn't want him to be a figurehead for the jews. could the blacks possibly feel that way about this candidate too? especially being that he's half white and everything. I don't think all of them are thrilled about obama running. I could be wrong though.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 5:53 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Moses was most likely much darker skinned than Europeans Jews; probably closer to Sephardim, possibly darker than Sephardim, but who knows really.

He didn't have a Muslim family though, he would, but he didn't then.

So all the Jews would have been darker-skinned...

I don't get what the poster was trying to say.

All the Jews of the time probably were darker skinned.
The poster was trying to show that race shouldn't make a difference, that if we would be bothered by Obama's black skin should we have been bothered by Moshe's black skin?

And if your point is that "but we have light skin so we should be bothered..." then that my dear is racism.

Was this directed at me? I don't have any problem with Obama being black. I think it's the stupidest argument out there, oh he's black, isn't that a problem.

I also found it kind of demeaning when there was the race between Hillary and Obama, and the polls were all about "Is Obama getting all the blacks? Is Hillary getting the white women? Oh no, a few black women like Hillary! Is Obama doomed now that the blackity black black women are voting for Hillary?"

For a country that's supposed to have moved past racism and sexism, there's still a long way to go. Rolling Eyes

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:26 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

I also found it kind of demeaning when there was the race between Hillary and Obama, and the polls were all about "Is Obama getting all the blacks? Is Hillary getting the white women? Oh no, a few black women like Hillary! Is Obama doomed now that the blackity black black women are voting for Hillary?"

For a country that's supposed to have moved past racism and sexism, there's still a long way to go. Rolling Eyes

But it is an issue. There are many African Americans who usually don't vote who will davka come out to vote for Obama. In terms of election projection it's important.

ETA: I DON"T CARE THAT HE'S BLACK, OR GREW UP IN INDONESIA, OR WHATEVER.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:28 pm
I don't know. In the last election, people expected young blacks to vote against Bush, but there was a really low voter turnout for that demographic. I think a lot of people who are expected to vote don't follow through with it.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:32 pm
I think it's because it's a lot harder to become galvanized against something than it is to be for it. (Vietnam War notwithstanding.) John Kerry excited no one and drew no one to the polls. It was the biggest dud of an election, a lose-lose situation. Obama has managed to convince a lot of people that he understands them (he is them) and will do something to change their station in life. That, I believe, is a draw if their ever was one.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:33 pm
cassandra wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

But it is an issue. There are many African Americans who usually don't vote who will davka come out to vote for Obama. In terms of election projection it's important.

I just thought it was over the top.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:34 pm
I don't know. Remember all of those MTV "Rock the Vote" programs and commercials way back when? Did they really rock the vote? Young people are still largely disconnected, from what I've seen.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:37 pm
I actually just switched my voting name and address through Rock the Vote. That Kennedy person must have crept into my subconscious. (What ever happened to her?)

As for your point, all I can say is that we live in different times. Have some faith in my generation.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:38 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
cassandra wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

I just thought it was over the top.

Eh, I just wanted to say "election projection"

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:42 pm
cassandra wrote:
I actually just switched my voting name and address through Rock the Vote. That Kennedy person must have crept into my subconscious. (What ever happened to her?)

As for your point, all I can say is that we live in different times. Have some faith in my generation.

Kennedy can be found on Wikipedia under her real name, Lisa Kennedy Montgomery. I'm sure she'd appreciate your interest.

We live in different times? It's not just that I'm older, it's that we actually live in different times? I'm in some kind of special geriatric time zone now? This is like Kubrick's "2001," right? I'm an old man, but I'm also some kind of weird floating baby, or you're the floating baby, or someone is a monolith in front of some apes? I'm very confused.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 7:46 pm
No, I think we're both floating babies, what I meant was that the election of 2008 cannot be compared to any election in the last 30 years, because we are dealing with very different issues and very different candidates.

fish123

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 12:35 am
I seriously am going to vote for Obama because of his positions on issues that are very important to me such as health care.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 1:00 am
Akeres Habayis wrote:
hinda rochel thanks for the quickread Wink of what the pages discuss
btw
my angry faces was to the blatant racist statement made by queen
I found it repulsive,obviously she doesn't realize there are darkerskinned jews who are on imamothers Rolling Eyes who would take serious offense to her comment.
moi

Oh I agree! I just thought that I should clarify what responses there were and why. Perhaps I should have explained yours, I thought I did! Sorry if I neglected to clarify what your faces were about.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 1:07 am
Crayon210 wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Moses was most likely much darker skinned than Europeans Jews; probably closer to Sephardim, possibly darker than Sephardim, but who knows really.

He didn't have a Muslim family though, he would, but he didn't then.

So all the Jews would have been darker-skinned...

I don't get what the poster was trying to say.

All the Jews of the time probably were darker skinned.
The poster was trying to show that race shouldn't make a difference, that if we would be bothered by Obama's black skin should we have been bothered by Moshe's black skin?

And if your point is that "but we have light skin so we should be bothered..." then that my dear is racism.

Was this directed at me? I don't have any problem with Obama being black. I think it's the stupidest argument out there, oh he's black, isn't that a problem.

Okay Crayon. I was sort of cutting off any argument at the pass. I probably should have eliminated the "you" and I apologize. I generally try to, I did not this time, and so I am sorry for what probably sounded like an accusation.

I also find it demeaning that people would assume Obama has the "black vote" locked up. He does not. Blacks don't vote as a group. He might receive the majority of the black vote, or he might not. He may or may not have a lock on the "young vote".

I find the whole concept quite annoying.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 5:12 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Either you're kidding, or you have the most adorable kid ever, or your kid has been watching too many old episodes of Mr. Spock on "Star Trek."

She truly does. She has never ever seen a Star Trek episode. I would imagine she gets the peace onto you from saying Sholom Aleichem.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics