Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Which dips do you buy for shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:45 am
My kids were really into a certain companies charif but they seemed to have changed the recipe recently and now my kids don’t like it at all.

They like sharp dips.
I don’t like anything sharp so I buy something else for myself.

Need some changes here.
Please give us some new dip ideas.

justforfun87

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:50 am
I hate spending money on dips but rarely get around to making them. The onion dip is the first one finished. We also love olive dip, babaganoush, matbucha. I take one piece of challah and make a spot for each one... Ok, I am lying I sometimes have two pieces. Smile

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:52 am
Jalapeño dip.

You can make your own schug. I make it with jalapeños, parsley, cilantro, olive oil and salt. Comes out slightly different every time but it’s good

Add red chili to tomato dip

I usually make dips. These are my staples:
Hummus
Tehina
Olive dip
Scallion dip
Jalapeño

When I’m expecting a larger crowd I also make:
Tomato dip
Schug
Onion dip
Roasted Garlic Jalapeño Dip
Dill Dip
Babagaboush

Goody2shoes

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:54 am
I don't buy, everything is home made but here are some idea

Jalapeño dip
Crunchy Pickle Dip
Schug for my spicy loving husband
Tomato dip with hot pepper in it
Chrein is one thing I do buy

Milder dips for rest of us ith lower pain tolerance is
olive dip
roasted garlic
dill dip
roasted eggplant

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:55 am
We generally have 4 types of dips, they last 2-3 shabbosim.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:57 am
We make our own dips. Generally, we make: Jalapeno dill dip (sometimes I don't make it in the middle of the winter, because the jalapenos aren't so sharp then, and we like it sharp!), roasted whole eggplant with homemade tehina, fried eggplant, babaganoush, tomato dip, olive dip.

Except for the jalapeno dip and the roasted eggplant, we make the other dips in larger quantities and freeze them. I pull out 3-4 dips every week, so we rotate them. So fried eggplant, olive dip, tomato dip, tehina, and babaganoush freeze well.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:58 am
Cantaloupe, can you please share your recipe for crunchy pickle dip? TIA!

justforfun87

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 10:59 am
Chayalle wrote:
We make our own dips. Generally, we make: Jalapeno dill dip (sometimes I don't make it in the middle of the winter, because the jalapenos aren't so sharp then, and we like it sharp!), roasted whole eggplant with homemade tehina, fried eggplant, babaganoush, tomato dip, olive dip.

Except for the jalapeno dip and the roasted eggplant, we make the other dips in larger quantities and freeze them. I pull out 3-4 dips every week, so we rotate them. So fried eggplant, olive dip, tomato dip, tehina, and babaganoush freeze well.

Is the olive dip/tomato with just oil and not mayo? Please share recipe. Would love to make in bulk.

Highstrung

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:00 am
We don’t buy . We make:

Grilled eggplant
Jalapeño dip
Techina
Chummus
Occasionally, dill dip , tomatoe dip , creamy olives , olive dip.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:05 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Is the olive dip/tomato with just oil and not mayo? Please share recipe. Would love to make in bulk.

The olive dip has mayo but not alot, and freezes ok (jalapeno dip is much more mayo, and doesn't freeze well). And yes, tomato dip is no mayo.

tomato dip - I use grape tomatoes, but you could use any. I just fill a round pan with a bunch of tomatoes, I put in some peppers (green, red, yellow, whatever) cut in strips, and a jalapeno or two (cut in half and seeded), and 3-4 cloves of garlic (chopped). Drizzle the whole thing with olive oil, salt and pepper. Stick it in the oven when you have it on for other stuff - 350 - for 45 minutes or so, till the vegetables are roasted. Then place it all in the food processor and process till smooth. Place in small containers and freeze what you aren't using right away.

I've been using this olive dip recipe https://kosher.com/recipe/oliv....._gl=1*1bydc89*_ga*NzQ3NTYwNzQwLjE2OTQwNDI4NDA.*_ga_5SKJR68LJ0*MTY5ODQxODk5NS4xMS4xLjE2OTg0MTkwNTIuMC4wLjA.
I use a cube of parsley and a cube of basil for the fresh in the recipe.

Goody2shoes

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:06 am
Chayalle wrote:
Cantaloupe, can you please share your recipe for crunchy pickle dip? TIA!

1 can pickles in brinees
mayo to cover
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
a little honey

I dice the pickles small but not tiny, it needs to have a crunch, and then add the rest of the ingredients.
It's my favorite dip to make, so easy and full of flavor

Last edited by Goody2shoes on Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

cupcake123

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:07 am
I would love pickle dip and a sharp jalapeño dip recipe

I don't know if garlic confit is counted but that's our staple. Then we have matbucha almost always and tomatoe dip, onion dip, jalapeño sometimes.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:08 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
1 can pickles in brinees
mayo to cover
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
a little honey

I dice the pickles small but not tiny, it needs to have a crunch, and then add the rest of the ingredients.
It's my favorite dip to make, so easy and full of flavor

Sounds yummy! I think I'll try this!

imthatawesome

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:10 am
Chayalle wrote:

Yum! May I have the recipe for your jalapeño dill dip?

Chayalle

We also do roasted garlic here and there. Take a head of garlic, peel down the outer layers of the peel so that there's just a little peel. Put in pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stick in oven for a while, till garlic is very soft. Serve as is - you take a clove and squeeze it out on your challah.

mha3484

I buy dips some weeks and other weeks make them or do a bunch of small salads. Otherwise it gets expensive.

The weeks I buy we like: mushroom/onion, eggplant, my son really likes the toasted sesame one, olive dip. I like tomato but no one else does so I don't buy it too often.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:14 am
imthatawesome wrote:
Yum! May I have the recipe for your jalapeño dill dip?

It's sort of not so exact, but:

Put dill in the food processor (I get a bunch of dill, I use some of it in my chicken soup, and what's left is for the dill dip. I wash it well using spritzer from my sink, and lay it out to check over paper towel.)
4 cloves fresh garlic
drop of lemon juice
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
1/2 tsp salt

Process. Add 1/2 jar of mayonnaise (make sure to use a good quality mayo, like Hellmans, or it will be liquidy) and process.

ETA it doesn't freeze well, but it does last in the fridge for 2-3 weeks at least.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:18 am
Another delicious way to make pickles dip:
Pickles (regular, not Israeli) diced into tiny pieces
Drain the juice
Mayo
Dill weed spice
Really good!

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 11:20 am
Garlic confit 2 ways:

Garlic cloves
Crushed red pepper spice
Olive oil
Bake covered at 300• till soft and golden

Garlic cloves
Jalapeno pepper sliced
Olive oil
Black pepper
Tinge of salt
Bake uncovered at 350•-400• approx an hour

bbhem5

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 12:17 pm
We use a lot of onion, shallot and garlic dips. Since all 3 are mayo based, they can't be frozen prepared.
However, I freeze sauteed onions, shallots,and garlic in small containers or ziplocks and use these to quickly and easily assemble 'fresh' dips. I've also roasted tons of jalapenos, blended them with spices, and frozen the extras to assemble fresh with mayo when needed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note