Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Wedding Gift for Non-Jewish Colleague
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 4:54 pm
I work closely with a non-Jewish woman. She has been living with her boyfriend for years (they bought a house together) and are legally married since last year. Next week is the wedding ceremony. It's on Shabbos so I'm obviously not going. (I wouldn't have gone anyway, but B"H this is a kind way to opt out without hurting her feelings.) They don't have children and they're self-sufficient and established with jobs and such, so they have everything they need. She's not the domestic type at all.

What do I give as a wedding gift? I'm totally clueless. There a no gift registry.

Any suggestions from people that know these things?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 4:55 pm
Does she have a registry?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I work closely with a non-Jewish woman. She has been living with her boyfriend for years (they bought a house together) and are legally married since last year. Next week is the wedding ceremony. It's on Shabbos so I'm obviously not going. (I wouldn't have gone anyway, but B"H this is a kind way to opt out without hurting her feelings.) They don't have children and they're self-sufficient and established with jobs and such, so they have everything they need. She's not the domestic type at all.

What do I give as a wedding gift? I'm totally clueless.

Ask her if she has a wedding registry which she probably does if not get her an Amazon gift card.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 4:58 pm
No registry. I'll add that to the OP.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 4:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
No registry. I'll add that to the OP.

I would then do a gift card to Amazon and write a nice note

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:00 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
Ask her if she has a wedding registry which she probably does if not get her an Amazon gift card.

An Amazon gift card is so convenient! How much? Do I buy a wedding card and just enclose it? It's not a cop-out?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
An Amazon gift card is so convenient! How much? Do I buy a wedding card and just enclose it? It's not a cop-out?

It’s not a cop out it might be the most useful thing! How much according to your budget and what you feel. I would buy a wedding card write a note why you can’t attend and wish her well

Golde

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:01 pm
Something from her registry.
If she doesn't have one; a vase, something nice for the house, a nice bottle of wine, flowers, a gift card are all fairly common wedding gifts for co-workers.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:03 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
It’s not a cop out it might be the most useful thing! How much according to your budget and what you feel. I would buy a wedding card write a note why you can’t attend and wish her well

She knows why I can't attend. She's really sweet and asked if she sends a car for me would I come 😊. She does share a lot about her home life and about her fiance. I met him at her mother's funeral. So she feels close.

Is $50 normal? I don't have a frame of reference here.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
She knows why I can't attend. She's really sweet and asked if she sends a car for me would I come 😊. She does share a lot about her home life and about her fiance. I met him at her mother's funeral. So she feels close.

Is $50 normal? I don't have a frame of reference here.

Yes I do think so

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:05 pm
Golde wrote:
Something from her registry.
If she doesn't have one; a vase, something nice for the house, a nice bottle of wine, flowers, a gift card are all fairly common wedding gifts for co-workers.

Which type of gift card? Anywhere besides Amazon? For how much?

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

What do I give as a wedding gift? I'm totally clueless. There a no gift registry.

When I had similar, I gave cash. Gift card works, too--Visa gift card is good if they want to use towards a honeymoon etc. Will there be a work bridal shower? If so, that's the easiest--you can help organize/chip in to a group gift (which may actually be cash).

Golde

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Which type of gift card? Anywhere besides Amazon? For how much?

$40-50 maybe?
If it were me I would have gotten a $40 gift card from a home store if I didn't have any other specific ideas

Golde

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:11 pm
Golde wrote:
$40-50 maybe?
If it were me I would have gotten a $40 gift card from a home store if I didn't have any other specific ideas

I know you said she isn't the domestic type, but it's still a very common wedding present. I'm sure she can find something she likes

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:11 pm
I'd recommend $50, at least. Maybe $75.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:25 pm
My non-Jewish co-worker gave me a $50 check.
I think cash or gift card is the way to go.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:57 am
If you don't want to give cash, you could give her a beautiful picture frame, a subscription to a magazine (travel or home), or even a stack of beautiful dish towels from Williams Sonoma (everyone needs those.) So nice that you have fostered a relationship with your colleague and a real Kiddush Hashem (which we all need right now.)

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:14 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
My non-Jewish co-worker gave me a $50 check.
I think cash or gift card is the way to go.

Personally, I wouldn't know what to do with cash anymore. Gift card is the way to go.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:45 am
amother Camellia wrote:
I'd recommend $50, at least. Maybe $75.

Yes, I was going to say, the non-Jewish co-workers I had gave more money for weddings than $50. It was usually $75/$100

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:02 am
If you could afford it I would say not less than $75.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette