Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp chaviva
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:16 pm
Hi,
My oldest is considering applying to camp chaviva, with her good friend - were from out of town. She’s very cute and put together but also quiet and not “camp” type. She’s ok being away from home but I don’t picture her jumping on bleachers and cheering. She will enjoy the cozy nights and kumzits and imyh making new friends.

I am a deer in headlights since she’s my oldest daughter, and I haven’t been to camp in at least 25 years. I also worry since my daughter is quiet and a goody two shoes and therefore can go unnoticed.

Can someone tell me if a bais yaakov OOT (but not super yeshivish) would do well in a camp like this ?
Is it hard to get into? Is one half easier to get into than the other half ?
Do certain half’s gear more towards in-town, OOT, more yeshivish, less yeshivish?
Is there visiting day ?
Is the camp warm/staff feels like family, or totally not?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:22 pm
My second daughter is iyh going this year too. I had a wonderful experience with my older daughter. Warm camp, many out of town kids. Wholesome fun.

The past few years, they do not have visiting day. Regarding which half to go, my daughter went only the 2nd halves because thats what they had available.

Let me know if you have more questions

How old is your daughter?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:24 pm
I do not have enough wonderful things to say about the staff. They know every camper by name and its super easy to get in touch if you have an issue.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:25 pm
We are also considering applying to Chaviva from out of town. Is second half more out of town ish? What are the material pressures like? Dd is very social, aware of trends and I don’t want her coming home feeling like she needs a new wardrobe and acting snobby.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:27 pm
My daughter went to camp Chaviva last year and plans to return IYH this year. It's a very warm camp, I found the camp staff to be warm and helpful (for example, when she had to come home for my older DD's vort, they drove her to the bus stop, they made sure she got on safely, etc...her whole bunk helped her get ready....) My daughter isn't quiet but she isn't the screaming cheering type either. She loved camp.

I know they say first half is more in-towny and 2nd half more OOTy (I found this to be true in CBY, where my older DD went). I don't know enough about Camp Chaviva to say if it's true there or not. This DD went first half (she likes to go to camp as soon as school is over, and work 2nd half.)

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:34 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
We are also considering applying to Chaviva from out of town. Is second half more out of town ish? What are the material pressures like? Dd is very social, aware of trends and I don’t want her coming home feeling like she needs a new wardrobe and acting snobby.

Yes, second half is more out of townish. Not snobby or clicky. Girls wore regular simple clothes.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:04 pm
What is the first half crowd like? where are the girls mostly from? Is it the type where every last thing they wear has to be a fancy company?

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,
My oldest is considering applying to camp chaviva, with her good friend - were from out of town. She’s very cute and put together but also quiet and not “camp” type. She’s ok being away from home but I don’t picture her jumping on bleachers and cheering. She will enjoy the cozy nights and kumzits and imyh making new friends.

I am a deer in headlights since she’s my oldest daughter, and I haven’t been to camp in at least 25 years. I also worry since my daughter is quiet and a goody two shoes and therefore can go unnoticed.

Can someone tell me if a bais yaakov OOT (but not super yeshivish) would do well in a camp like this ?
Is it hard to get into? Is one half easier to get into than the other half ?
Do certain half’s gear more towards in-town, OOT, more yeshivish, less yeshivish?
Is there visiting day ?
Is the camp warm/staff feels like family, or totally not?

I was staff there a bunch of years ago and to compare it to the other few camps I was staff and camper in, Chaviva was by far the most professional ,warm, and enjoyable camp. however the head staff changed since I was there but the Munks are still the owners and they have a huge impact.
They take excellent care of the campers
Every week as counselors we met with the directors to discuss each and every camper and how they were doing
it was very impressive

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:16 pm
Who is the head staff of Chaviva?

We are also looking into camps for my oldest. We are from in town, but I’d really like her to have a more out of town crowd, etc…

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:12 pm
can someone give me an idea where the campers are from first half? 2nd half I heard there is definitely lakewood girls, where are the main bulk of girls from for the first half?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:27 pm
My daughter went first half, from Lakewood. There wasn't a huge Lakewood crowd (one bus, a handful of people milling around at the bus stop). There were definitely OOTers in camp, as I've heard her say, but also a strong Brooklyn presence. She said there were plenty of girls with designer clothes there, but she was fine without it and had no issues making friends and feeling part of things in her non-designer clothes.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Who is the head staff of Chaviva?

We are also looking into camps for my oldest. We are from in town, but I’d really like her to have a more out of town crowd, etc…

The Munks are the owners. I have known them all my life and they are amazing people! I don't know who the head staff is but the Munks are very involved.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:22 pm
Not to hi-jack this thread but can anyone answer a few questions for me about Chaviva? I don’t have anyone to ask in real life 🙈.
Do the parents get updates during the week of what’s going on in camp? Is there a way to see pictures?
Are they very strict about the girls coming on time to activities davening etc? My daughter isn’t looking for a super rigid camp but doesn’t want to get in trouble if she’s a few minutes late to something.
Are the bunkhouses basically clean and have a/c? She’s not really one to rough it too much…
Do they have visiting day? How about packages?

Thanks so much to whoever has time to answer!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:28 pm
Yes, they sent an email weekly about various activities, and pictures. The first week there was a video with various bunks in it, I sort of spotted DD for a second in it. (lots of campers, lots of pictures).
There is no visiting day, and no packages allowed. AFAIK the bunks were clean and a/c. Don't know about the being on time to activities, didn't hear any complaints but I think it's a fairly structured camp.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:46 pm
BTW one thing I liked about Camp Chaviva was that you can email your daughter (she cannot email you. She gets a printout). You can do it every day if you wish (my daughter certainly wished! I aimed for twice weekly - once in the beginning of the week, and Gut Shabbos wishes toward the end.) They also have specific days they can call home, which I found great for between the email.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 4:06 pm
Does anyone know when applications open? And what is the fee to apply as we will probably apply to at least 2 camps

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 6:38 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
Does anyone know when applications open? And what is the fee to apply as we will probably apply to at least 2 camps

Applications opened today. I applied my daughter- anyone know when we will hear back one way or the other?
Are the Munk;s involved in the camp's day-to-day, or is it more Liebermans?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 6:44 pm
Also, anyone know how much this camp costs? It doesn't say anywhere, just says the amount that will be drafted from your cc if they accept (850). Wondering what the total is.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 12:10 pm
Is it too late to apply for second half? I know applications are open but if I apply today do I stand a chance?

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 12:17 pm
Total is 3,700 including 150 tip and 150 canteen
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps