Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp chaviva
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 4:31 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Any other places to apply? Maarava closed registration and levavi didn't accept my daughter which I'm still trying to figure out they didn't even speak to her teachers

Camps don’t only call the teachers. They call people that might know you.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 4:35 pm
Or there’s even a camp (not chaviva) that won’t even call if you live in a certain area. Because that must mean you are a certain type. You will automatically get rejected unless you have tons of pull 🙄

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 10:45 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Or there’s even a camp (not chaviva) that won’t even call if you live in a certain area. Because that must mean you are a certain type. You will automatically get rejected unless you have tons of pull 🙄

What type of are could be a problem? I live OOT and my daughters got into camp, and I dont believe teachers were called. Do in towners have a harder time getting in?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 11:41 pm
amother Dill wrote:
What type of are could be a problem? I live OOT and my daughters got into camp, and I dont believe teachers were called. Do in towners have a harder time getting in?

I mean a certain town that has a name for being very unyeshivish. A certain camp will see that you live there and automatically throw away your application (and yes I know this for a fact). I call that extremely close-minded. I’d get in because I have major pull, but almost anyone else wouldn’t. I’m yeshivish and have lots of yeshivish neighbors but we live in this town so we must be unyeshivish

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 12:29 am
I mean a certain town that has a name for being very unyeshivish. A certain camp will see that you live there and automatically throw away your application (and yes I know this for a fact). I call that extremely close-minded. I’d get in because I have major pull, but almost anyone else wouldn’t. I’m yeshivish and have lots of yeshivish neighbors but we live in this town so we must be unyeshivish

Pardon me for having no clue but I am really curious, what "town" is this? Toms river?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 7:38 am
amother Dill wrote:
Pardon me for having no clue but I am really curious, what "town" is this? Toms river?

Well I don’t want to out the camp that is extremely close-minded about the town, or feed into anyone else’s thoughts about the town, as this town has many people who are not yeshivish and who gave the town this stereotype, as well as many yeshivish people. I am way more yeshivish than some of my friends who live in a different town, yet they’d get into this “exclusive” 🙄 camp without beating an eyelash. As I said before, I’d get in because I have major pull so it’s not that I’m bitter about not getting in. I just think this attitude is horrible

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:08 am
Well I don’t want to out the camp that is extremely close-minded about the town, or feed into anyone else’s thoughts about the town, as this town has many people who are not yeshivish and who gave the town this stereotype, as well as many yeshivish people. I am way more yeshivish than some of my friends who live in a different town, yet they’d get into this “exclusive” 🙄 camp without beating an eyelash. As I said before, I’d get in because I have major pull so it’s not that I’m bitter about not getting in. I just think this attitude is horrible

When you refer to “this exclusive camp” are you referring to camp Chaviva? Or sleepaway camps in general ?
Asking because my daughter is going there and we’re simple OOT and when you say “exclusive” in terms of camp chaviva in particular , it freaks me out a bit.

And I am still
Assuming you’re referring to Tom’s River , can’t think of another “town” that has a reputation of being less yeshivish than the rest of Lakewood.
Agree with you that labeling a neighborhood as “not yeshivish” is ridiculous , and each girl should get a fair chance , references should be called etc. are you positive this camp simply won’t take kids from Tom’s River just because their parents happened to by a house there ? Crazy .

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 4:49 am
amother Dill wrote:
When you refer to “this exclusive camp” are you referring to camp Chaviva? Or sleepaway camps in general ?
Asking because my daughter is going there and we’re simple OOT and when you say “exclusive” in terms of camp chaviva in particular , it freaks me out a bit.

And I am still
Assuming you’re referring to Tom’s River , can’t think of another “town” that has a reputation of being less yeshivish than the rest of Lakewood.
Agree with you that labeling a neighborhood as “not yeshivish” is ridiculous , and each girl should get a fair chance , references should be called etc. are you positive this camp simply won’t take kids from Tom’s River just because their parents happened to by a house there ? Crazy .

I originally said it’s not chaviva. Don’t worry about sending your daughter there, I heard it’s a great camp with phenomenal head staff!
About the town, I didn’t compare it to Lakewood, not saying yes or no, but may not be as compared to Lakewood.
Yes I am sure the camp won’t even look into anyone from that town. I was told so when I moved (head of that camp, you could’ve bought me my house in a more yeshivish town because you obviously could afford that, but I couldn’t, hence me and my plenty of yeshivish neighbors live here. No one else, not schools, other camps, etc are so close-minded about this. They look into the child. But that one sleepaway “exclusive” camp (again, not chaviva!) is so close-minded about it and won’t even hide that fact. Told a rebbetzin in the town basically that they won’t take someone because she lives there! (At least they were smart enough to not say that straight out to the rebbetzin, but she told the yeshivish person trying to get in that she feels like that’s their issue, and I was able to confirm it because I was told that straight out

K sorry to derail this thread! People started talking about other camps and their asking information about the kids and I got on my soapbox. Let’s continue on about chaviva now

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:17 am
I originally said it’s not chaviva. Don’t worry about sending your daughter there, I heard it’s a great camp with phenomenal head staff!
About the town, I didn’t compare it to Lakewood, not saying yes or no, but may not be as compared to Lakewood.
Yes I am sure the camp won’t even look into anyone from that town. I was told so when I moved (head of that camp, you could’ve bought me my house in a more yeshivish town because you obviously could afford that, but I couldn’t, hence me and my plenty of yeshivish neighbors live here. No one else, not schools, other camps, etc are so close-minded about this. They look into the child. But that one sleepaway “exclusive” camp (again, not chaviva!) is so close-minded about it and won’t even hide that fact. Told a rebbetzin in the town basically that they won’t take someone because she lives there! (At least they were smart enough to not say that straight out to the rebbetzin, but she told the yeshivish person trying to get in that she feels like that’s their issue, and I was able to confirm it because I was told that straight out

K sorry to derail this thread! People started talking about other camps and their asking information about the kids and I got on my soapbox. Let’s continue on about chaviva now

Ya I lost you sorry.
And not that it matters in the slightest but you’re talking about Tom’s River and I don’t know why you’re being so coy about it since you’re anonymous. Weird .

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:01 am
amother Dill wrote:
Ya I lost you sorry.
And not that it matters in the slightest but you’re talking about Tom’s River and I don’t know why you’re being so coy about it since you’re anonymous. Weird .

I remember hearing years ago about schools not accepting students from a certain neighborhood in Lakewood. Over time, the demographics changed. Yeah, I think it's ridiculous.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:16 am
amother Dill wrote:
Ya I lost you sorry.

Probably because LH?

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 9:24 am
Camps can do whatever they want!!! There are waiting lists to most camps, so they can be as picky as they want and nobody can do anything about it....
Reminds me, a teacher was once talking about a specific school and how they accepted a girl from Russia and they are so amazing... Lady, that was back when they were new and accepting! Today, they are super picky!!

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:23 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Probably because LH?

I dont think hilchos LH apply to neighborhoods. I don’t think we need to worry about “Tom’s River’s” feelings.

And it is ridiculous for a girl to not get into camp because they live in a neighborhood her parents happened to buy a house in.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps