Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO Your (Polish or Hungarian) Bubby’s Recipes
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:37 pm
Unfortunately we never got my grandmothers’ recipes,

I had one Hungarian and one Polish. (Yes, mixed marriage Smile)

Please please share yours!

Thank you
Back to top

amother
Tangerine


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:51 pm
Paprikash chicken
Rupish krumpli
Kindel
Hooliptchis
Kutchenu
Russel


What would you like?
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:05 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Paprikash chicken
Rupish krumpli
Kindel
Hooliptchis
Kutchenu
Russel


What would you like?


Can you explain what they are? Aside from the chicken paprikash and hooliptchus?

One is is potato dish?

Edited to add- kuchenyu is the fish jelly one, right?
Back to top

amother
Eggplant


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:08 pm
Not Hungarian or Polish, but following for the recipes Smile
Back to top

amother
Oak


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:39 pm
Not op but I would love an authentic Hungarian kindle recipe.
Back to top

amother
Broom


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Paprikash chicken
Rupish krumpli
Kindel
Hooliptchis
Kutchenu
Russel


What would you like?

Isn't it ruket krumpli?
Back to top

amother
Heather


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:01 pm
Goulash
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:18 pm
I am named after the Hungarian one, so I obviously don’t remember those. I know my mother says she always made these amazing pastries/cakes? That was very hard to make and people would finish them before shabbos.

From my other grandmother: sugar cookies - we never found a recipe that was like hers, her apple cake - so good, and sponge cake, honey cake… so sad to e don’t have the recipes. people - get your mothers’ recipes!!!
Back to top

amother
Clematis


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am named after the Hungarian one, so I obviously don’t remember those. I know my mother says she always made these amazing pastries/cakes? That was very hard to make and people would finish them before shabbos.

From my other grandmother: sugar cookies - we never found a recipe that was like hers, her apple cake - so good, and sponge cake, honey cake… so sad to e don’t have the recipes. people - get your mothers’ recipes!!!

My grandmother was from Poland. I have her apple cake and yapsuk (potato cholent) recipe and also galla (calf's foot jelly). Her chicken soup was legendary. She would put in gravy she collected from her roast chicken.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:51 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
My grandmother was from Poland. I have her apple cake and yapsuk (potato cholent) recipe and also galla (calf's foot jelly). Her chicken soup was legendary. She would put in gravy she collected from her roast chicken.


Yes - chicken soup too, but don’t think she collected the gravy!

Can you please send the apple cake recipe?
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 1:09 pm
I’d love a Rakkott Krumpli recipe, please.

And my aunt said she used to make a cake called “Londoni Szelet that my Grandmother used to make. Would love to make that for her. Sliced into diamonds?

She also said sour Cherry soup - Megy Leves- not sure I’ll try that but I’d take the recipe !
Back to top

cbsp




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 1:19 pm
Maybe do a search for "Hungarian" on kosher.com? They have many recipes from the Nitra "Heimishe Kitchen" cookbooks
Back to top

amother
Broom


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 1:21 pm
cbsp wrote:
Maybe do a search for "Hungarian" on kosher.com? They have many recipes from the Nitra "Heimishe Kitchen" cookbooks

Or buy the cookbook.
Back to top

amother
Broom


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 1:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’d love a Rakkott Krumpli recipe, please.

And my aunt said she used to make a cake called “Londoni Szelet that my Grandmother used to make. Would love to make that for her. Sliced into diamonds?

She also said sour Cherry soup - Megy Leves- not sure I’ll try that but I’d take the recipe !

I have one. Not sure where it's from though. Maybe I'll post later when I have time.

Edit: cherry soup
Back to top

amother
Oldlace


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 1:29 pm
Yes, the Nitra cookbook has lots of good Hungarian recipes.
Back to top

ewwpeas20




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 1:32 pm
Following for the recipes
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 5:01 pm
Thanks everyone !

Yes I did do searches on kosher.com and google Smile “Bubby’s” “Bubbie’s” “Bobby’s” “Hungarian” etc

For the google ones that are not form Jewish sources, I’d prefer the Jewish version. Maybe it will taste the same, but I have a feeling many items will be specific for the Jewish community.

I guess I’m trying to get people’s actual grandma’s recipes.

Thanks for the Nitra Cookbook suggestion. I will see if I can purchase one.
Back to top

Tao




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 5:03 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Isn't it ruket krumpli?


It's rucket krumpli.
Also, boundash and challah kugel - so you never had to waste leftover challah.
Nothing beats my grandmother's cocoa. (Hint: it had twice the amount of sugar most people would put today)
Back to top

amother
Broom


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 5:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone !

Yes I did do searches on kosher.com and google Smile “Bubby’s” “Bubbie’s” “Bobby’s” “Hungarian” etc

For the google ones that are not form Jewish sources, I’d prefer the Jewish version. Maybe it will taste the same, but I have a feeling many items will be specific for the Jewish community.

I guess I’m trying to get people’s actual grandma’s recipes.

Thanks for the Nitra Cookbook suggestion. I will see if I can purchase one.

There are a few. Don't know what's the best. https://www.amazon.com/s?I=str.....ss_tl

This is what I have. Currently unavailable on amazon.
The Original Heimishe Kitchen Nitra Cookbook / The Best of Volumes 1 and 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008.....ss_tl
Back to top

amother
Clematis


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 5:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes - chicken soup too, but don’t think she collected the gravy!

Can you please send the apple cake recipe?

2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 egg

2 pounds apples
handful sugar
cinnamon, lemon juice and drop of oil

Preheat oven to 350° F.
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Cream shortening and add sugar gradually until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, water and dry ingredients. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Cube half of the apples and grate the other half. Mix with the sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and oil.
Layer the dough and apples.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Recipes that freeze well
by amother
7 Yesterday at 10:23 am View last post
Iso tried and true salatim recipes
by amother
2 Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:45 am View last post
Moroccan recipes anyone?
by amother
6 Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:17 pm View last post
Best recipes in "Ready in the Betty"?
by amother
6 Sun, Feb 18 2024, 4:48 am View last post
Recipes with ground almonds please 6 Tue, Feb 13 2024, 11:13 am View last post