Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:47 am
Not trying to do lashon hara but this is the second frum school I’ve worked at that has told me I they can’t cover my pumping breaks. I’m running out of supply and having to feed my baby formula not to mention really uncomfortable. I want to quit but I need the money. Baby is only four months and I wanted to nurse to at least a year. Not to mention the pathetic maternity leave I got. (None)
Back to top

amother
Latte


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:49 am
They're legally required to give you a break. You can report them for noncompliance
Back to top

amother
Sage


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:54 am
Do you have a break but want additional time to pump? It makes sense that they can't have a teacher leaving class to pump... Its really hard, what do the other teachers do? Very few places give paid maternity leave. Most people need to apply for disability for that time...
Back to top

amother
Charcoal


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:58 am
How many hours do you work? Do you get any breaks? Can you get there a bit early, pump and then pump right before you leave?
Back to top

amother
Razzmatazz


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:01 am
To be DLZ, I possibly hear both sides.

How long do you pump for? What do you teach-a classroom in 3rd grade, or specific periods in high school and then maybe you could teach one less, and have those 53 minutes as a break for you to pump.
Is there a recess or snack time that someone can watch your class during while you pump? Who would realistically be available? Are you expecting them to hire a sub to provide coverage, or can they schedule a specialty (art/music /gym) at that time?

Can you use the Willow Go or something similar to pump while teaching?

What do you think is a reasonable solution? Present it to them.
Back to top

gigglemom




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:11 am
thats not ok. they are required legally to give you a lunch break.
Back to top

amother
Lightblue


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:13 am
OP, are you getting no breaks at all (most teachers get breaks), or do you want additional breaks? Wanting additional breaks isn't realistic. You have to pump on your breaks.
Back to top

amother
Lightblue


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:14 am
gigglemom wrote:
thats not ok. they are required legally to give you a lunch break.


If she works in a school, she most likely does get a lunch break, plus additional breaks.
Back to top

amother
Antiquewhite


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:54 am
By law they must give you breaks, however they can be your normal lunch/ rest breaks that you need to pump in. They also need to give you a private room with a door, an outlet and a chair that isn't a bathroom to pump in. I think they can force you to be off the clock if you are paid hourly.

Talk to a frum attorney who can give you some free advice? See how to best request this?
Yes it is inconvenient for the school but this is the LAW. And I guess they shouldn't hire women who may have kids but that is illegal too.
Back to top

amother
Hyacinth


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:23 pm
gigglemom wrote:
thats not ok. they are required legally to give you a lunch break.


If she works part time then they are not required to give a lunch break. Many teachers work only half a day

As far as maternity leave, I'm not a teacher and didn't get paid maternity leave either. unfortunately that is common in the US
Back to top

amother
Hyacinth


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:37 pm
gigglemom wrote:
thats not ok. they are required legally to give you a lunch break.


If she works part time then they are not required to give a lunch break. Many teachers work only half a day

As far as maternity leave, I'm not a teacher and didn't get paid maternity leave either. unfortunately that is common in the US
Back to top

amother
NeonOrange


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:38 pm
Hi! I am also a teacher and I don’t get breaks specifically for pumping. I use my lunch break. I have a random break that I also use, but it wasn’t provided for pumping. I wish they’d give me proper breaks but unfortunately they treat mothers horribly. I also had no maternity leave. Your teaching straight from 9-4 tho? U have absolutely no breaks? Not lunch or recess or mincha? I’d do lunch as my morning pump and mincha as my afternoon. If you mamish don’t get breaks then I guess you would have to do hands free. All options are
Horrible but I find schools are the least flexible and bringing in legal will probably just make them angry etc. You are an awesome mom to even try to make this work and take the time out of your day!! It is so so hard and your baby is so so lucky!!
Back to top

amother
Lightblue


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
By law they must give you breaks, however they can be your normal lunch/ rest breaks that you need to pump in. They also need to give you a private room with a door, an outlet and a chair that isn't a bathroom to pump in. I think they can force you to be off the clock if you are paid hourly.

Talk to a frum attorney who can give you some free advice? See how to best request this?
Yes it is inconvenient for the school but this is the LAW. And I guess they shouldn't hire women who may have kids but that is illegal too.


No, they don't need to do all this. A place to nurse, yes. But an outlet? No.
Back to top

amother
NeonOrange


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:40 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
If she works part time then they are not required to give a lunch break. Many teachers work only half a day

As far as maternity leave, I'm not a teacher and didn't get paid maternity leave either. unfortunately that is common in the US



If she works part time then she wouldn’t need a lunch break to pump in she could pump when she gets home no?
Back to top

amother
Lightblue


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:40 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Hi! I am also a teacher and I don’t get breaks specifically for pumping. I use my lunch break. I have a random break that I also use, but it wasn’t provided for pumping. I wish they’d give me proper breaks but unfortunately they treat mothers horribly. I also had no maternity leave. Your teaching straight from 9-4 tho? U have absolutely no breaks? Not lunch or recess or mincha? I’d do lunch as my morning pump and mincha as my afternoon. If you mamish don’t get breaks then I guess you would have to do hands free. All options are
Horrible but I find schools are the least flexible and bringing in legal will probably just make them angry etc. You are an awesome mom to even try to make this work and take the time out of your day!! It is so so hard and your baby is so so lucky!!


You get breaks. I don't call not giving additional breaks for pumping, "horrible" treatment.
Schools in my community (and other communities I know of) all have on site babysitting for their staff. I don't call that horrible treatment.
Back to top

amother
NeonOrange


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:44 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
You get breaks. I don't call not giving additional breaks for pumping, "horrible" treatment.


For someone working 9-4 and using their only break to pump is pretty horrible. No time to eat, go to the bathroom, prep, print etc. and really I was referring to having no maternity leave as horrible, which I do think is horrible. However if you think having no maternity leave is not horrible then I give you bracha that you always have that mindset because it is one that I wish I had! Maybe I expect too much that women should be able to have time off to recover…
Back to top

amother
Lightblue


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:47 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
For someone working 9-4 and using their only break to pump is pretty horrible. No time to eat, go to the bathroom, prep, print etc. and really I was referring to having no maternity leave as horrible, which I do think is horrible. However if you think having no maternity leave is not horrible then I give you bracha that you always have that mindset because it is one that I wish I had! Maybe I expect too much that women should be able to have time off to recover…

No paid maternity leave is not a school issue. Most places in the US don't give paid maternity leave.
I didn't get paid leave, same for most women I know.
Back to top

amother
NeonOrange


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:49 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
No paid maternity leave is not a school issue. Most places in the US don't give paid maternity leave.
I didn't get paid leave, same for most women I know.


I’m not saying whose issue it is. I’m saying in general it is horrible that people don’t get maternity leave! However once again, if you are someone who does not find that an issue, then I am only inspired by your strength and fortitude!!
Back to top

amother
Ginger


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:54 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
For someone working 9-4 and using their only break to pump is pretty horrible. No time to eat, go to the bathroom, prep, print etc. and really I was referring to having no maternity leave as horrible, which I do think is horrible. However if you think having no maternity leave is not horrible then I give you bracha that you always have that mindset because it is one that I wish I had! Maybe I expect too much that women should be able to have time off to recover…


You’re supposed to get paid Disability through the state, for maternity leave. Not directly by the school.
Back to top

amother
NeonOrange


 

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:56 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
You’re supposed to get paid Disability through the state, for maternity leave. Not directly by the school.


I don’t want to takeaway from the original post, so let’s focus on helpful pumping tips for op! However not all states give disability unfortunately:(
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Help me get into nursing school
by amother
8 Today at 7:59 pm View last post
S/O something accepted in society... nursing
by amother
39 Mon, Feb 19 2024, 11:12 am View last post
Nursing home themed mm
by amother
51 Fri, Feb 16 2024, 9:52 am View last post
Baby stopped nursing cold turkey
by amother
27 Thu, Jan 18 2024, 6:39 am View last post
ISO plus size nursing friendly dresses
by amother
0 Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:17 am View last post