Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Who pays for DD's car?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:24 pm
DD is getting a car and we'll probably pay half and she'll pay half.

I'm just curios what others do, do you pay or does she pay for it?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:36 pm
What stage of life is she in? Why is she getting a car?
What are hers and your finances?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:43 pm
She's single, a year out of sem
Until now she's been going to work with a neighbor that works in the same place. It's not working perfectly so she wants her own car.
She has money, been working for a year.
With a bit of difficulty we can help her cover a lot of it.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:48 pm
This obviously varies.
I paid for my brand new car in cash qoth my hard earned money.

I have friends who are married who's parents still pay for their leases, and whej the lease is up they pay for the next etc.

My in laws bought dh a car.

The list goes on...

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:48 pm
It depends on finances completely.

I live in an area where there is really no good mass transportation so parents buy their children cars as soon as they get licenses because it makes the parents life easier.

I grew up in New York City and so mass transportation was good - having my own car wasn't so critical.

When I got my license, my parents just let me use the car whenever I wanted or needed it. We had different schedules so I was able to use the car almost all the time I wanted to.

When I needed a car in college I bought it with a gift from my grandmother and my parents. They paid for insurance and maintenance. I paid for gas. Since I came home during the summers, my father actually used my car during the day.

While my parents weren't wealthy, we were solidly middle class so my parents could well afford to cover insurance and maintenance. At any rate, it would be moot since they were paying my tuition and living expenses for college anyway LOL

When I moved back to New York I had my own apartment in Manhattan for awhile and I kept the car parked at my parent's house. My father used it and if I needed it for some reason - I.e. a road trip with girlfriends, he would drive it into the city for me to use

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:49 pm
This varies a lot. I wouldn’t pay for my working adult child’s car unless I was easily able to because I was wealthy.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 2:49 pm
My kids aren't old enough yet to drive, but I remember when I was in a similar position then I think my parents were like, you want a car, you need to pay for it.
Remember it's not just the initial cost of the car, it's also the upkeep-maintaining it, fixing issues, and obviously the gas. And insurance etc.
If you can afford to help her out, I think it's nice, but not necessary.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:12 pm
DD18 working, bought her own car & pays for her own insurance and petrol.
She wouldn't dream of asking me to pay.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:15 pm
I bought my own car when I was 19.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:25 pm
DD20 is in college and working and recently paid for her own car and pays for insurance and gas. She has more money in savings than we do! (We do pay for her college education though and obviously many other things as she still lives at home.)

Her friends from wealthy homes all have their parents pay for their cars and all associated costs. I think everyone else pays for it themselves. We are not poor bH and make it through each month adequately but definitely don't have extra money for something we consider a luxury and also something she is bH in the position to pay for herself as she has the funds. If either of those were not true (it was a necessity and she had no means of paying for it) OR we were wealthy, we'd pay for it ourselves.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:29 pm
My parents lent me the money so I saved on interest but I paid them back and paid for the car myself. It was used and not that expensive. I was working.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:50 pm
My parents paid so I wouldn’t have to pay interest and could pay them back over a couple of years. They didn’t ask me to pay back the full amount so I ended up paying around 75%
My parents covered insurance and ezpass. I covered gas.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 4:11 pm
My dd bought her own (used)car and pays for her gas. We pay insurance.
It would cost her a (bigger!) fortune to insure on her own.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 4:15 pm
We leased my daughter a car after seminary then bought out the lease and gifted her the car. We also cover the insurance.
She pays for her own gas though.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 4:18 pm
My DD's bought their own cars. We pay half their insurance, and occasionally I fill up their gas for them.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 8:44 am
I grew up in a place with terrible public transportation. When I came home from seminary my parents were just about to need a new car, so they gave me their old one and I paid insurance and gas.
By the time I finished college, I leased myself a new car, paid everything myself and my next sibling got the old car.

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 9:47 am
I shared a car with my parents until I bought my own used car. I would drive one to work, go to work, do any errands they needed, and pick them up.

When that couldn't work anymore I bought an old used car for 6k.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 10:03 am
My parents bought me a car in high school but it was easily affordable to them. I was the only one who had my own car

The majority of my friends got cars after sem once they started working, buying cheaper used older cars themselves or getting a lease.

My DH got his own car when he was working a couple years, but his parents wouldn’t even co-sign.

cfriedman2

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 10:21 am
my parents bought us a car if we went to college since we needed one to get there and back. My next car I got when my father got a new one. After that I bought my own.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 10:54 am
My kids are not driving age yet, but I'd think for a working young adult who's still living at home it would be a really good lesson in finances to buy/ maintain their own car. Keep in mind though if this will eat up a big chunk of their savings/ income you may end up chipping in at a later time on other expenses they couldn't save up for...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children