Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Imrei shefer - monsey- learning level

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:07 pm
Hi
I've been hearing that they have a lower learning level than other cheiders.
I'm interested in hearing from imas that send here and also to other places, Is it really important the learning level, when deciding where to send your average+ child? I've heard wonderful things about their chinuch method. The only thing holding me back is the learning level. Im wondering how important it actually is at the end of the day. Any insight appreciated.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:22 pm
I had to switch my son out because he was terribly bored and way ahead of his class(he came in from a different cheder). He was forgetting basic kriya. It was really hard to watch him slide backwards. If your child can handle learning at average, and definitely if he's above average, I would say learning level is very important.if the child isn't stimulated he will not only suffer academically but possibly behaviorally as well.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:26 pm
Yes, learning level is very important. Especially for a bright, smart, kid. You don't want your child to be bored. And mainstream yeshiva's do not really want to accept boys from Imrei Shefer.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:47 pm
amother Tan wrote:
I had to switch my son out because he was terribly bored and way ahead of his class(he came in from a different cheder). He was forgetting basic kriya. It was really hard to watch him slide backwards. If your child can handle learning at average, and definitely if he's above average, I would say learning level is very important.if the child isn't stimulated he will not only suffer academically but possibly behaviorally as well.

Agree. I was going to repeat my son in kindergarten. But his principal strongly suggested against it. He said even though my son is probably the youngest in his class and he's extremely petite too, he was kyh bh gebentched with a really good head, is bright and socially very mature. he said it's rather a boy struggle a bit than it being too easy. If a boy isn't engaged enough, more often than not, they shut off academically and act out behaviorally. She now he's just 4 years old and in kita alef and absolute LOVING every moment of it.

I love the chinuch model they have in imrei shefer. I know a few people who send their boys there. But for them the academic level isn't an issue as 2 out of thr 3 families that I know are sending there, their boys were struggling mightily in their previous cheder so the switch was perfect.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:05 pm
What is their reasoning for having a low level curriculum? Are they specifically geared for challenged kids?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:18 pm
Thanks for the responses! very helpful in my decision making. To poster above, the menahel claims the learning level is just like any other place.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 12:46 am
I send to a cheder similar to this in Lakewood.
And a big problem was that my son never learned chumash/ parsha , forgot how to read rashi letters. in kitta vov only gemara,
My other son only started yiddish script in kitta bais.

You should ask about these things.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 6:53 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the responses! very helpful in my decision making. To poster above, the menahel claims the learning level is just like any other place.

I send there. My kids have keh really good heads. We switched from a different place because we moved and it took some getting used to.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the place. There is more of a focus on hashkafah and emotional skills which was sorely lacking in their previous place and I’m glad they get this experience. My kids learn with other kids in their class to help them out and get great satisfaction from it. They revamped their English curriculum this year which I’m really excited about. The Menahel is extremely warm and very involved. He’s a genuine amazing person, and takes each kid’s success personally.

My oldest also easily got into a great yeshiva ketana, I’ve heard that yeshivas don’t want to take from here but absolutely didn’t experience it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics