Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Which school for child behind academically?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 7:34 pm
DD will be in primary this coming year.
Socially she's doing great and is on par- has friends the other kids like her and etc. Behaviorally she's doing amazing as well.

Academically she's having a hard time. She knows basic concepts such as counting, her colors, shapes and etc.... but has trouble with anything that requires her to process things (like understanding the parasha, answering pretty basic "wh" questions to a story she was read, following two step directions and etc). She's also having some difficulty learning the aleph bais....

On the advice of others we are sending her to a more established school (we had to push hard and use pull since they saw by the interview she was behind.... ) Since we where told they were more likely then newer schools to have the resources to help her.

Now I'm seconding guessing my decision.... Her teacher says she has very little confidence in herself since the other kids know more/answer the questions quicker then her. I see at home as well that her confidence is very low.

While I would love to send her to "regular" school for lots of reasons, am I just setting her up to feel bad about herself since it's likely she may have to spend lots of time in the resources room and/or be at the bottom of the class? Is there a school geared more to kids like her where she'll feel better about her self? And maybe can be mainstreamed in a few years? Not a real Special Ed school bec socially and behaviorally she's up to par and I'd want her mainstreamed eventually hopefully.... But someplace maybe with smaller classes and that gives children more support....

I have thought of leaving her behind but she'd be almost a year older then her classmates if I do.... Plus I'm not sure that's enough....

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 7:38 pm
Have her evaluated, most things you listed can be fixed with therapy and tutoring. Get every service she qualifies for. I would do it now so she has a year to catch up in skills.

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 7:40 pm
Shiras Chana/ Kochvei Ohr I think it's called, is for weak students. But don't know how easy it is to mainstream after. I think they start acceptances Pesach time so you can still get in.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 8:20 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Have her evaluated, most things you listed can be fixed with therapy and tutoring. Get every service she qualifies for. I would do it now so she has a year to catch up in skills.

Thanks. Definitely working this angel as well.

amother Garnet wrote:
Shiras Chana/ Kochvei Ohr I think it's called, is for weak students. But don't know how easy it is to mainstream after. I think they start acceptances Pesach time so you can still get in.

Thank you. From a search on here, the name mekor hachinuch also came up. How is that different then Shiras Chana/ Kochvei Ohr? Can anyone tell me more about both schools. Also while my child is more of a priority then money.... How much do those programs cost? We will have to do what's best for her in the end , but it is a concern....

amother
Aconite

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 8:35 pm
Would you try primary in the school your enrolled in and switch her out for first grade if it doesn't work?
Schools especially in lkwd provide tons of support and it will not affect her socially yet even if she cant keep up.
Once the school works with your child you can discuss with them if they think its the best place for her or she would do better in a somewhere else.

Orangehead

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 8:54 pm
When is her birthday?

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 9:00 pm
She needs a speech eval pronto. I am a school psychologist and everything you mentioned can be worked on in speech. If she is doing well socially I would be very hesitant to pull her out. First get her speech and see if she progresses.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 9:03 pm
I would trust an established school that has lots of resources. If they feel they can’t meet her needs, they will know the best options. Do an eval now and whatever therapy you can to keep the gap from getting bigger. I would not go with a newer school just for smaller classes. Good schools don’t stay small and new schools don’t have as many resources

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
She needs a speech eval pronto. I am a school psychologist and everything you mentioned can be worked on in speech. If she is doing well socially I would be very hesitant to pull her out. First get her speech and see if she progresses.

I'm a service provider as well and agree with this post. Another school won't be able to directly address her processing challenges anyway - she needs individualized therapy for that. You have no idea what the picture will look like once she is in therapy with a skilled speech therapist.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. From a search on here, the name mekor hachinuch also came up. How is that different then Shiras Chana/ Kochvei Ohr? Can anyone tell me more about both schools. Also while my child is more of a priority then money.... How much do those programs cost? We will have to do what's best for her in the end , but it is a concern....

Mekor hachinuch is self contained classes in regular schools. They start in first grade so enroll her in primary for now.

Kochvei ohr is free if u have an iep from the board of Ed. You would need to get her evaluated and if she qualifies and gets an iep then have an interview at kochvei ohr for their small classes. Kochvei ohr more for autistic social skills and they have ot and speech

oneofakind

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 9:30 pm
Language therapy ASAP. Keep her mainstream as long as possible.

amother
Aster

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 10:45 pm
not op but would anyone have recommendations for an excellent language therapist in Lakewood?

Chew21

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 10:48 pm
Story sounds familiar to mine. My daughter was struggling in primary. Rhe school wanted her to repeat. We had her evaluated her IQ upto par. It was a language comprehension issue. We paid someone privately and today isn't struggling as much as she was hh ok! She's in second grade now.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:11 pm
Chew21 wrote:
Story sounds familiar to mine. My daughter was struggling in primary. Rhe school wanted her to repeat. We had her evaluated her IQ upto par. It was a language comprehension issue. We paid someone privately and today isn't struggling as much as she was hh ok! She's in second grade now.

This sounds like the issue we are having with my daughter. Can you explain what a language comprehension issue is? And what kind of therapy fixes it? Thank you so much!

amother
Nemesia

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:18 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
This sounds like the issue we are having with my daughter. Can you explain what a language comprehension issue is? And what kind of therapy fixes it? Thank you so much!

Speech therapy works on it ( officially called speech and language therapy )
It’s understanding lang

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:24 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Speech therapy works on it ( officially called speech and language therapy )
It’s understanding lang

So not an articulation issue but a comprehension issue?

Sorry if I’m not understanding but can you give me an example of something a child with a comprehension issue wouldn't understand, and how speech therapy would help them understand it?

I can’t think of how speech therapy can help with this issue.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:16 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
So not an articulation issue but a comprehension issue?

Sorry if I’m not understanding but can you give me an example of something a child with a comprehension issue wouldn't understand, and how speech therapy would help them understand it?

I can’t think of how speech therapy can help with this issue.
SLP is a speech language pathologist. It's the same specialty. SLPs work on both speech and comprehension.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:18 am
amother OP wrote:
Don't jump the gun on self contained. Once you switch in it can be hard to switch back out. You haven't posted any concerns that can't be addressed while she's in mainstream.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 6:14 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:

My daughter used to just say things that didn't make so much sense and had a hard time grasping things. She was just lost by her morah. She was still young. We thought maybe she was a bit slow. We had her evaluated by a top speech therapist that said the issue was severe and we first needed to work on the auditory phonemic awareness piece (sound based) before we can even address the language. She did recommend we hold her back so she wouldn't be so behind. We really didn't want to. Instead we just got her lots of help privately. Bh we ended up graduating from the sound based and was then able to continue with language based. Both of these are slps that specialize and different things. I would recommend you start with an evaluation by a top therapist.
She bh is making so much progress today and actually has some areas academically where she is thriving! I would recommend you start with an evaluation by a top speech1therapist.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 7:17 am
amother Aster wrote:
not op but would anyone have recommendations for an excellent language therapist in Lakewood?

Ascend speech therapy, yehudis brown agency
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries