Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Berel- female. Hebrew spelling

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 4:09 pm
Curious if anyone would know the Hebrew/ Yiddish spelling of Berel for a female? It’s a grandmothers name that we’d like to include on a wedding invite but not sure how to spell.

Thanks!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 4:11 pm
I only know one female beryl and it's not her Jewish name. It's a nonjewish women's name.

Are you sure that's her jewsish name?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 4:17 pm
That’s how the name was sent to me. It’s the other side. They are hoping to go to the kever and check the spelling but I really want to get the invites ordered so trying to help them out!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 4:27 pm
Same answer as above poster.

Berel is a Yiddish nickname for Ber or for Dov for a male.

Berel is a non Jewish name for a female.

It could be the grandmother did not have a jewish name OR it got lost and mistaken over the years (OR it was one of those strange stories and that actually was her jewish name!…)

In any case Berel would most commonly be spelled בערל.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 4:34 pm
I know a girl whose name is Berel. Not a nickname, her actual name. After a grandmother

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 6:01 pm
Delete

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 6:22 pm
I know a Barry who's named after a Berel

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 6:51 pm
בערל is how my family spells is
I k ow ppl also spell בערעל

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 6:57 pm
Thanks everyone!

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 6:58 pm
Beryl--not Berel--is a semiprecious stone and an English feminine name. If I felt obligated to name a daughter after a Beryl whose Hebrew name I didn't know and couldn't find out, I might call her Perl, which is Yiddish for Pearl (similar sound and both are jewels) or Penina which is Hebrew for pearl, or Margalit which means jewel. Beryl in Hebrew is Baril or Tarshish, neither of which is currently used as a given name afaik. I would absolutely not name her Berel, which is a Yiddish masculine name meaning "little bear. "

There is a Yiddish name Doba which supposedly is from Hebrew and means a she-bear. I'm frankly skeptical. I suspect it is a corruption of Deborah if it's not a variant of something Slavic, but I'll be happy if anyone can show proof to the contrary.

Genius

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 7:01 pm
Zaq she just wants to invite the Bubba from the other side. Also, how do you know so much about everything?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 7:05 pm
I know a woman named after a Dov
Her name is Dubba and English name Beryl (precious stone)

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 8:08 pm
I’m not sure of the spelling, but Beryl is definitely a Jewish female name. My friend’s sister is Beryl after a grandmother.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 9:00 pm
Genius: I'm what you call a lifelong learner and I read a lot. Also I'm a word nerd fascinated by languages and by names and their meanings and evolution.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names