Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$64 for grilled cheese and fries!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:22 pm
This is really just a vent.
I know there are much more serious problems in the world right now. And this isn't my biggest life struggle either.
But I went to what a would consider a rather basic cafe today with my friend for lunch. We both got grilled cheese and fries. It was as basic as it gets. This is not artisanal, organic multi-grain bread and fancy French cheeses. White bread. Some unnaturally orange American or cheddar cheese. Fries straight from a freezer. No fancy truffle shavings or designer smoked salts. $64 with tax and tip.
I'm neither rich nor poor. This isn't going to break the bank (since I rarely eat out). And I do understand that in general food prices have gone up and restaurants need to make a profit to stay open. But $64 for such basic and mediocre food? I can't seem to wrap my head around this.

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:24 pm
Did the menu not list the prices?

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:26 pm
Didn't you see the prices beforehand?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:26 pm
Wow, that's really frustrating. I got a small gift card to a cafe recently ($10), and it only covered EITHER a pastry OR a simple drink.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:28 pm
Ye I’m not sure what they’re thinking by charging such prices. These places should be banned

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:33 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Ye I’m not sure what they’re thinking by charging such prices. These places should be banned

Nothing should be banned. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:37 pm
I don't buy things like grilled cheese anymore. If I'm going out and spending money, I buy something that I wouldn't make myself/don't get around to making myself/something they make extra special that is a treat for me.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:37 pm
$64 total?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is really just a vent.
I know there are much more serious problems in the world right now. And this isn't my biggest life struggle either.
But I went to what a would consider a rather basic cafe today with my friend for lunch. We both got grilled cheese and fries. It was as basic as it gets. This is not artisanal, organic multi-grain bread and fancy French cheeses. White bread. Some unnaturally orange American or cheddar cheese. Fries straight from a freezer. No fancy truffle shavings or designer smoked salts. $64 with tax and tip.
I'm neither rich nor poor. This isn't going to break the bank (since I rarely eat out). And I do understand that in general food prices have gone up and restaurants need to make a profit to stay open. But $64 for such basic and mediocre food? I can't seem to wrap my head around this.

Something doesn’t sound right.

amother
Hunter

No drink?

amother
Arcticblue

amother Dustypink wrote:
Nothing should be banned. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

There is expensive and there is idk what the word is. Business owners should have at least some responsibility on the prices they charge

amother
Goldenrod

amother Saddlebrown wrote:
$64 total?

If grilled cheese was 17.99 x 2, fries 8.99 x 2, you hit $54 and that leaves $10 roughly for tax and 20% gratuity.
I sure hope it was thick sourdough slices and oozing yummy cheese!

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
There is expensive and there is idk what the word is. Business owners should have at least some responsibility on the prices they charge

They can charge whatever they want for things that are not necessities. It's a luxury. An extra. Luxuries cost money.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:44 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
$64 total?

$64 for 2 grill cheese and 2 French fries?

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:46 pm
Sounds insane. They charge like that because people are dumb enough to pay it. Everyone is entitled to earn a living and charge what they want, but this sounds a bit ridiculous.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:48 pm
Could it have been a mistake? That does sound crazy.

behappy2

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 4:58 pm
Sounds strange

What was the breakdown?

How many grilled cheese?

How many fries?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 5:13 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
They can charge whatever they want for things that are not necessities. It's a luxury. An extra. Luxuries cost money.

Yes yes yes!! No one is forced to buy luxuries

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 5:13 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Sounds insane. They charge like that because people are dumb enough to pay it. Everyone is entitled to earn a living and charge what they want, but this sounds a bit ridiculous.

Thanks for calling me and others dumb. That's very nice of you.
It's not dumb to pay for things you want.
Prices are generally listed on the menu, you can see the prices before ordering. If you think it's expensive, don't order. But those that do order, are not dumb.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 5:19 pm
DH and I went to a pizza shop
We ordered 2 cups of soup - the smallest size and it was tiny, around 6 fl oz.
1 order of Caesar Salad - suppose to be but ended up being shredded iceberg with bottled creamy Italian dressing, and 6 counted croutons
1 order of lasagna - it was tiny maybe 3” by 2”
And the total was $65

We knew the prices
But for the price the portion should’ve been bigger

This was a store we use to go to a lot.
We thought it would be the same just the price increased

So frustrating
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics