Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$64 for grilled cheese and fries!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:50 pm
amother Lily wrote:
Where was this?

I live in lakewood and I'm thinking of a specific dairy place with higher prices....even so, a grilled cheese is $16 and fries is $8 ×2 is $48
Lower end cafes would be $30
You must've went to a really nice place

I assure you it's not nice in any way. About one step up from being a dumpy hole in the wall. But it is a more touristy place. Not Lakewood. So maybe that's why.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:51 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
$64 is a lot. That being said, I truly hope that it was not for some toasted bread with American cheese on top, perhaps some ketchup.

I assume it was for real grilled cheese, browned in butter in skillet with good quality cheese. Something like this.
https://www.recipetineats.com/.....wich/

Side note I love Nagi’s recipes !! Deff going to recreate

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:51 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
to buy a toaster oven and a bag of frozen fries?

LOL! Good idea. My fries and grilled cheese sandwiches are muuuuuch yummier.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 9:54 pm
Like I said, just a vent. It would be nice to be able to go out and grab a simple lunch for under $20/head but I guess those days are gone. Next time I'll suggest just going for coffee or hanging out at home.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 10:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Like I said, just a vent. It would be nice to be able to go out and grab a simple lunch for under $20/head but I guess those days are gone. Next time I'll suggest just going for coffee or hanging out at home.

I don’t know where you live, but in my neck of the woods, the takeout in my supermarket has a pretty decent menu and I believe decent prices. So I can “order in” and still come out to way under $20. Of course that’s cheaper than eating out, but still an option for when wanting to get food, and not pay so much.

But if I were you I’d be beyond beyond mad for something so simple to be so expensive.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 11:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess. It didn't taste very luxurious though.

Ready made food is a luxury, an extra, regardless of how it tastes.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Nov 06 2023, 11:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

Where do you live? In most frum communities, you can buy yourself a lunch for $12.
For the future, maybe concentrate on the pricing on the menu before you order.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:33 am
amother OP wrote:
LOL! Good idea. My fries and grilled cheese sandwiches are muuuuuch yummier.

Share your recipe? My grilled cheese needs some work. And I would LOVE some good grilled cheese right now.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:39 am
Like the old Joke it takes a week to train in a new guy at McDonald's

5 minutes to teach him how to make the sandwich

And the rest of the time how to say the price with a straight face

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:43 am
amother OP wrote:

The only days that are gone are the times where people used to check their bills for mistakes

I live in Brooklyn there is a large variety of places in boro Park and Flatbush to grab a good lunch with a friend for 20 bucks each.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I assure you it's not nice in any way. About one step up from being a dumpy hole in the wall. But it is a more touristy place. Not Lakewood. So maybe that's why.

If its a touristy place, especially in a touristy spot, no such thing as a cheap lunch.

Still thats an astonishing amount for whar youre describing. Unless this is manahatten.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:48 am
So don’t go there again, most pizza places are cheaper than that

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:59 am
On another note, retaurants are simply not affordable these days. On my daughters 18th birthday we went out, ordered a couple of appetizers and one main dish and it ended up costing us over $500. It was not a 5 or 4 star place either. Eating our nowadays is a luxury.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:05 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
On another note, retaurants are simply not affordable these days. On my daughters 18th birthday we went out, ordered a couple of appetizers and one main dish and it ended up costing us over $500. It was not a 5 or 4 star place either. Eating our nowadays is a luxury.

For how many people? And what kind of appetizer?

I'm assuming you are not referring to a blooming onion and poppers when you say you got a couple of appetizers, and a schwarma platter as the main.

Depending on the place, a few small plates can add up quickly. But I'd love to know where you went and what you got that racked up a $500 bill for a few small plates and one main.

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:09 am
With these prices stated I guess sending kids to home economy classes (including cooking) would be a great idea.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:16 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
Like the old Joke it takes a week to train in a new guy at McDonald's

5 minutes to teach him how to make the sandwich

And the rest of the time how to say the price with a straight face

I don't get it. McDonald's is pretty much cheap junky fast food for cheap prices. Not that I eat there, but if someone wanted cheap treif food that's probably where they'd go.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:18 am
To clarify - without giving too much detail, because I don't want people to guess exactly where I was in case in should be perceived as loshon hora or hurt this restaurant's business - I live in South Florida, in a not so touristy area but drove to a rather touristy area to meet a friend visiting from out of town. So yeah, this isn't Lakewood or Brooklyn. Prices for kosher food in general is more here. But this somehow just blew me away. Whatever. Like I said, next time I'll meet just for coffee instead.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:15 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:

Eating out has ALWAYS been a luxury. People need to realize that. Eating out is a luxury. Buying ready made food is a luxury.
That said, I've been to plenty high end restaurants, ordered a couple of appetizers, mains, dessert, drinks, it never cost us $500. It's usually closer to $300.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:19 am
amother OP wrote:
To clarify - without giving too much detail, because I don't want people to guess exactly where I was in case in should be perceived as loshon hora or hurt this restaurant's business - I live in South Florida, in a not so touristy area but drove to a rather touristy area to meet a friend visiting from out of town. So yeah, this isn't Lakewood or Brooklyn. Prices for kosher food in general is more here. But this somehow just blew me away. Whatever. Like I said, next time I'll meet just for coffee instead.

So interesting that this is in Florida. In my experience, Restaurants in Miami are way cheaper then Restaurants here in NY. I'm surprised every time anew.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:21 am
amother OP wrote:

Prices in Florida restaurants are overall really high but I believe their cost of operating is also. When we go on a trip there we have a food budget that’s more than the hotel lol. And we only ever go for very short for that reason.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics