Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Help me figure out my shopping routine

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 6:37 am
I am trying to get into a good routine shopping wise. I've always waited until the literal last minute to shop and cook for shabbos. With a growing family that is not doable anymore. Last week I ordered everything on Wednesday I put everything away and then Thursday and Friday I cooked. that was great!

Problem is now we are out of things so I need to put in the order and I want it to be for the week. So I went through literally every item in my home and my meal plan for the coming week (yes I know it is Tuesday so I guess for the coming days until after shabbos).

If I place the order now it will include my shabbos stuff - chickens, salmon, lettuce.

Is it dumb to put in order today since produce wont be as fresh? Will I need to freeze the chicken/salmon if not cooking it until Thursday/Friday?

Any other tips anyone has?

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 6:48 am
I like to go on Sunday for stuff for week and Wednesday for stuff for shabbos. I used to do one shopping on Wednesday but found I was constantly running to the store between shoppings.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 6:52 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
I like to go on Sunday for stuff for week and Wednesday for stuff for shabbos. I used to do one shopping on Wednesday but found I was constantly running to the store between shoppings.

This sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering if for this week I can order my poultry/fish stuff for shabbos today, keep in fridge and it will stay fresh until I cook it on Thursday / Friday.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 6:54 am
The bulk on Wednesday and fill in for the week Sunday or Monday

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 7:00 am
amother OP wrote:
This sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering if for this week I can order my poultry/fish stuff for shabbos today, keep in fridge and it will stay fresh until I cook it on Thursday / Friday.

Not really- it may work but I wouldn’t plan for that. Most groceries put out fresh on Wednesday.

I usually shop Sunday/ Wednesday (online order/fax Wednesday and smaller shop Sunday)
But when I don’t get out Sunday then Tuesday is either from the freezer or takeout.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 7:07 am
I shop once a week for the whole week on Sunday. I freeze meat and fish if not cooking within 2 days, so by Tuesday if I shop Sunday. Fresh vegetables last. The only thing thay doesn't last all week is fresh herbs, but I don't buy them often.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:52 am
I buy meat and chicken according to what’s on sale and keep in the freezer. The concept of buying what I need when I need it is foreign to me. Also, lots of produce lasts in the fridge. What specifically do you feel you need midweek?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:07 am
I do a big shop Sunday or Monday and Shabbos shop Wednesday or Thursday morning. I cook Thursday and I have cleaning help in the afternoon after I cook. Friday I make cholent and tidy up.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:24 am
OP, what's the downside of having 2 orders per week instead of one? Especially since it sounds like you have delivery so no schlepping involved.
Personally, I could never make it one one shopping trip/delivery per week. Too many things go bad before I use them and anyhow I can't stand a fridge packed to capacity where I can't even see what's in there.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:27 am
I only started doing two shopping trips in the last couple years since our grocery store opened up closer to me. Before that I was driving 25 minutes each way to the grocery so it didn't make sense to do that twice a week. But they do do online orders and delivery but I do not like to do that.

I found that when I was doing one shopping on Wednesday my focus was mostly on what I needed for Shabbos and I just made supper based on what was in the house. Now that I was doing two shoppings a week, my focus on Sunday is what's for supper during the week and making sure I have a stuff now in addition to snacks, lunches, etc. And my focus on Wednesday is just to fill in what I need for Sabbath

sodebnam

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:37 am
I usually meal plan for the whole week (shabbat included) on sundays, I go grocery shopping on mondays and my husband buys the food for shabbat (unless I bought everything on monday and froze it) on thursdays so I can start prepping the food.

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:40 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
The bulk on Wednesday and fill in for the week Sunday or Monday

This is exactly what I do.
All the shabbat stuff and non perishables get delivered on Wednesday.
On Sunday- Monday I buy more fresh bread and produce and meat or chicken if needed.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 11:12 am
I usually do my big shop on wednesday and supplement it on sunday or monday.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics