Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Guest beds question

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:02 pm
We have a guest room with a bathroom but as my family has grown kah I'm looking to figure out more beds. I have maxed out the bed/bedrooms on my regular floors and I'm wondering about the basement. For whatever reason we have 2 extra full size mattresses. I would like to get rid of them because they are very large, take a lot of space and it's not like anyone is going to share because it's larger. My husband doesn't want to get rid of them if we can use them. For now they are used on the floor when we have overflow of guests.
Back to the basement. I do not have bedrooms in my basement. It is one big room with toys/office. I am thinking of putting some kind of bed down there. At first I thought a sofa bed so we can use it as a sofa when it's not being used but those are costly and not so comfortable. In doing some research it seems that we can buy a daybed style bed for a full mattress and use one of those. Is that dumb? Impractical? Is there another way to use the mattress or add beds that's not super expensive?
We do have blow up mattresses but I won't put big kids or adults on them.

sandyish

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:11 pm
For a bed in an open playroom I would get a twin size daybed with a high riser underneath. Ive seen that setup many times and it works well. Make sure you get a daybed cover that stays on the bed whenever it’s not in use (kind of like a thick quilt like cover that goes on top of the linen). I’ve never seen a daybed with a full size mattress but I imagine it would be too big and and awkward size.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:25 pm
I'm trying to do this a frugally and practically as possible.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm trying to do this a frugally and practically as possible.

If you don’t want to buy new mattresses then I guess get a full size daybed with a full size high riser underneath… although the price of a full size daybed and a full size high riser may end up being more than buying a twin size daybed and new twin size mattresses, I have no idea so make sure you price check. Also, if you get twin size then you’ll still have the full size mattresses for spillover guests.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:44 pm
If there’s space for two full mattresses in the basement then sure go with a full trundle

happy7

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:49 pm
You can’t sit on a full size mattress daybed very comfortable. It won’t serve as a place to sit

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 9:39 am
Ok thanks for these perspectives.
I'm still not sure what to do.

The not sitting on a full day bed is an issue. It doesn't really serve as a couch. Would a twin day bed serve as a couch? Are there decent futons or the like out there? Ideally I'd want to have space for 2 in the basement.
My husband thinks just put a full size mattresses on the floor down there and a blow up mattress and call it a day. Leaving a full size mattresses against the wall down there is not ideal.
The basement beds would be needed 4 times a year.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 10:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok thanks for these perspectives.
I'm still not sure what to do.

The not sitting on a full day bed is an issue. It doesn't really serve as a couch. Would a twin day bed serve as a couch? Are there decent futons or the like out there? Ideally I'd want to have space for 2 in the basement.
My husband thinks just put a full size mattresses on the floor down there and a blow up mattress and call it a day. Leaving a full size mattresses against the wall down there is not ideal.
The basement beds would be needed 4 times a year.

If it'll only be used 4 times a year, I agree with your husband. There are other things to spend money on than a daybed with high riser that will be used 4x/year.

I'm not clear though how this mattress is connected to needing more room in the house. Maybe if I understood that it would make the basement situation clearer.

teachkids

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 10:09 am
Can you put 2 slim frames down (like a floor bed or low platform) and make a cozy reading nook out of it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:03 am
amother Topaz wrote:
If it'll only be used 4 times a year, I agree with your husband. There are other things to spend money on than a daybed with high riser that will be used 4x/year.

I'm not clear though how this mattress is connected to needing more room in the house. Maybe if I understood that it would make the basement situation clearer.

So now is one of the 4 times a year so I'm thinking about it now.
We don't have any seating in the basement aside for an office chair at a desk so I thought maybe kill 2 birds with one stone.
The 2 mattresses are extra and are used on the floor of other rooms when we have guests. We actually can only use one most of the time or we can't walk in that room so we though maybe move it to the basement and create more sleeping space there.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:04 am
teachkids wrote:
Can you put 2 slim frames down (like a floor bed or low platform) and make a cozy reading nook out of it?

This is an interesting idea, for the full size mattress? Will it be used as seating or stepping on/jumping? Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics