Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Beit shemesh
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:01 pm
I am looking into moving to Eretz Yisroel from Lakewood.

Can any Israeli imas help me with some basics?
What is the difference between beit shemesh and ramat beit shemesh?

Are they still building new apartments in ramat beit shemesh gimmel or daled?

juggling

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:20 pm
The whole city is called beit Shemesh. Essentially, neighborhoods built after about 1995 were called ramat beit Shemesh (aleph, bet, etc.). Originally rbs was like an extension of bs. At this point most of the town is ramat beit shemesh, and only a small, older area is not part of "ramat" beit Shemesh.

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:23 pm
Beit Shemesh is a mixed community: DL, chiloni, chareidi, Ethiopian etc. It is older and some areas more on the run down side.

RBS is mostly only frum. Aleph is a mix of chareidi and DL. Bet is chassidish and yerushalmi. Gimmel is yeshivish and chassidish. Daled is yeshivish and yerushalmi. Hey is DL, chiloni and chareidi.

Daled they are still building. There's new construction in gimmel too, just less.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:25 pm
How far is it from Jerusalem?
How far is neve yaakov from Jerusalem and what type is neve yaakov? Thanks

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:26 pm
Where are all the schools?

What high schools do they have for boys who need a soft landing?

What about elementary school?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:27 pm
Thank you so much. So it's basically like developments within the larger city - did I understand right?

Coming from lakewood and fed up with the gashmius - would I fit into gimmel or daled?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:32 pm
Is there propery tax in israel?
like when I figure out how much my monthly expenses would be is that something to include like in NY/NJ?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:38 pm
amother Mint wrote:
How far is it from Jerusalem?
How far is neve yaakov from Jerusalem and what type is neve yaakov? Thanks

Hi am from Neve Yaakov, I'm happy if you ask a mod to connect us to pm...

Neve Yaakov is actually in Jerusalem.
By bus without traffic it is 5-7 mins from Ramat eshkol/levi Eshkol, Givat hatachmoshet/ ammunition hill light rail station, to the entrance of Neve Yaakov.
I live 3rd stop in, my area is mainly young kollel Israeli and some 2nd generation americans, slightly more open than the regular as in most don't have SMS phones but alot have WhatsApp without SMS.
I really like my area.
Deeper in Neve Yaakov is a big American community, one area is mostly older families marrying off the end of their family and than also another group of younger Americans starting to marry off children to just married...
They are all very frum living like Israelis from what I see. E.g kosher phones without SMS. Very little social pressure in fashion. Of course all have exceptions.
For that area you have to add another 15 mins bus ride.

saltandvinegar

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:40 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Hi am from Neve Yaakov, I'm happy if you ask a mod to connect us to pm...

Neve Yaakov is actually in Jerusalem.
By bus without traffic it is 5-7 mins from Ramat eshkol/levi Eshkol, Givat hatachmoshet/ ammunition hill light rail station, to the entrance of Neve Yaakov.
I live 3rd stop in, my area is mainly young kollel Israeli and some 2nd generation americans, slightly more open than the regular as in most don't have SMS phones but alot have WhatsApp without SMS.
I really like my area.
Deeper in Neve Yaakov is a big American community, one area is mostly older families marrying off the end of their family and than also another group of younger Americans starting to marry off children to just married...
They are all very frum living like Israelis from what I see. E.g kosher phones without SMS. Very little social pressure in fashion. Of course all have exceptions.
For that area you have to add another 15 mins bus ride.

Can I message you about Neve Yaakov?

juggling

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
like when I figure out how much my monthly expenses would be is that something to include like in NY/NJ?

City tax in Israel is called arnona. It's a type of property tax, and it's generally paid by whoever lives in the apartment, even if they rent. The amount depends on where you're located, as well as size of the apartment. There are discounts available for various reasons, I think including new olim.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes. It's called Arnona.
The residents pay it so if you are renting you will have to pay it even if it's not your property.
They give discounts according to income and family size I think the largest discount is 70% but maybe you can get more I don't know.
You have to apply for the discount by August of that year.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:44 pm
Reality wrote:
Beit Shemesh is a mixed community: DL, chiloni, chareidi, Ethiopian etc. It is older and some areas more on the run down side.

RBS is mostly only frum. Aleph is a mix of chareidi and DL. Bet is chassidish and yerushalmi. Gimmel is yeshivish and chassidish. Daled is yeshivish and yerushalmi. Hey is DL, chiloni and chareidi.

Daled they are still building. There's new construction in gimmel too, just less.

This was very helpful. So I heard that Daled is a huge mix and has some tzefas style people also. is this completely wrong?

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

Property tax called arnona is paid by whoever lives in the apartment. As in a renter pays the property tax not the owner. I don't think it's monthly, maybe every two months? I don't take care of the bills in my house, lol.

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:47 pm
juggling wrote:
City tax in Israel is called arnona. It's a type of property tax, and it's generally paid by whoever lives in the apartment, even if they rent. The amount depends on where you're located, as well as size of the apartment. There are discounts available for various reasons, I think including new olim.

Olim get 90% off the first 100 square meters of their apartment for one year. You must apply for this benefit on time or you lose it.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
This was very helpful. So I heard that Daled is a huge mix and has some tzefas style people also. is this completely wrong?

Daled is more Israeli. Many Americans feel they don’t fit but I do see a good number that do. My kids all have friends in daled, they are good kids from good families. Daled is actually the ancient city of Yarmut and not beit Shemesh but it sells better as part of beit Shemesh and is furthest out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:49 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Yes. It's called Arnona.
The residents pay it so if you are renting you will have to pay it even if it's not your property.
They give discounts according to income and family size I think the largest discount is 70% but maybe you can get more I don't know.
You have to apply for the discount by August of that year.

Approximately how much is the annual property tax for a 3-4 bedroom apartment in ramat bet shemesh or ramat shlomo etc?

And is utility costs comparable to NY/NJ or way less or way more?

Thank you so much for everyone who is helping me with information and making my dream come closer.

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

Totally could be. The rent is cheaper in daled so it definitely has attracted a lot of people. There are already so many subsections within daled.I know there has been strife there because some people were having a hard time living and let living. Hopefully, that has passed and now people will be more b'achdus.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:51 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Daled is more Israeli. Many Americans feel they don’t fit but I do see a good number that do. My kids all have friends in daled, they are good kids from good families. Daled is actually the ancient city of Yarmut and not beit Shemesh but it sells better as part of beit Shemesh and is furthest out.

Ok this helps. I would still consider daled. I have young children that can easily adapt.

so its not like a city in terms of noise and streets being busy at night? (think yerushalayim)

Is there such a thing as me having a small backyard or its all only apartment buildings?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:53 pm
Reality wrote:
Totally could be. The rent is cheaper in daled so it definitely has attracted a lot of people. There are already so many subsections within daled.I know there has been strife there because some people were having a hard time living and let living. Hopefully, that has passed and now people will be more b'achdus.

If rent is cheap it means that if I buy an apartment and rent it out for a few months until I am ready to move then the rental income won't necessarily cover my mortgage?
I prefer to buy something new obviously...

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 12:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok this helps. I would still consider daled. I have young children that can easily adapt.

so its not like a city in terms of noise and streets being busy at night? (think yerushalayim)

Is there such a thing as me having a small backyard or its all only apartment buildings?

Much, much quieter. You will have construction noise though. Of course you can have a small backyard in a building. You need to look for an apartment on a lower floor with a garden.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions