Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Can I peel potatoes thurs night to make kugel on Friday?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:52 pm
I've peeled a few hours in advance and keep in a bowl of water, but this would be a lot more hours and overnight.
If I keep it in a bowl of water will it stay?
Should they be in the fridge?
Will it affect the taste of the kugel?

Has anyone done this?

4geesmom

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:53 pm
Yes I do it all the time! Put the bowl in the fridge and it will be perfectly fine!
I grate by hand so it’s easier when it’s cold.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:53 pm
I can tell you a little secret... I haven't peeled potatoes for kugel in many years. Once they are grated, you can't tell the difference and the kugel tastes the same. Everyone I have told has tried it and agrees. Even red potatoes work just fine. And the peels have lots of healthy things in, so it's healthier too 😀

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
I can tell you a little secret... I haven't peeled potatoes for kugel in many years. Once they are grated, you can't tell the difference and the kugel tastes the same. Everyone I have told has tried it and agrees. Even red potatoes work just fine. And the peels have lots of healthy things in, so it's healthier too 😀

Don't you have to scrub clean the potato first?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:57 pm
4geesmom wrote:
Yes I do it all the time! Put the bowl in the fridge and it will be perfectly fine!
I grate by hand so it’s easier when it’s cold.

Do you cover it?
I feel like that would be so heavy though. A big bowl full of water and potatoes. I worry I'll spill it when carrying to and from the fridge.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:58 pm
I put them in a big pot of water and leave them on the counter overnight

4geesmom

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you cover it?
I feel like that would be so heavy though. A big bowl full of water and potatoes. I worry I'll spill it when carrying to and from the fridge.

No I leave it open.
And yes it’s a big klutz.
I have to make sure I have room in the fridge for it.

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 12:01 am
I leave it completely submerged in water in a big pot, on the counter
Should be perfect!

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 2:18 am
amother OP wrote:
Don't you have to scrub clean the potato first?

They're usually quite clean, so I just rinse them, never needed to scrub them.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 8:55 am
Would it be okay to leave pealed potatoes along with beans soaked using the boiled method on the counter?

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:26 am
I leave potatoes peeled overnight in a bowl of water on the counter. No fridge needed.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:27 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Would it be okay to leave pealed potatoes along with beans soaked using the boiled method on the counter?

I would keep them separately.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:39 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
They're usually quite clean, so I just rinse them, never needed to scrub them.

What kind of potatoes do you use? I'm assuming you are using Yukon Gold or white. I use Idaho and would not do it with the peel. The color would be completely off.

I leave them peeled on the counter in water overnight...always perfect

Basya

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:39 am
I also peel on Thursday, leave in bowl of water overnight on the counter, no problem, just as good as freshly peeled. I also make the egg/oil mixture the night before (in a separate bowl) but of course that needs to be refrigerated. It makes assembling the kugel much much easier.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 9:42 am
amother Petunia wrote:
What kind of potatoes do you use? I'm assuming you are using Yukon Gold or white. I use Idaho and would not do it with the peel. The color would be completely off.

I leave them peeled on the counter in water overnight...always perfect

I sometimes peel on Thursdays, leave outside overnight in water and make kugel on friday. I find the kugel is actually softer when left overnight in water.

Idaho potatoes can be used with peels but they need to be scrubbed really well with a brush. So it defeats the purpose. Might as well peel.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:10 pm
For those leaving unpeeled potatoes over-night, it's really not food-safe.

"No, potatoes cannot sit out overnight. The maximum time a peeled potato can sit out is 4 hours (although 1-2 is your safest bet). Even if they look edible after four hours, it is better to be safe than sorry. . .

Do Potatoes Cause Food Poisoning?
If kept in improper locations, yes, potatoes can cause food poisoning. The worst potato-related illness is botulism, a severe variety of food poisoning that causes blurred vision, weakness, and slurred speech. Extreme cases may even lead to death."

https://practicalcooks.com/how.....-out/

(And please don't bring in your survivors bias, anecdotal evidence that you've been doing this for x years and no one's ever gotten sick. You are putting people at risk.)

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:12 pm
What if you peel them and then refrigerate

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Heather wrote:
For those leaving unpeeled potatoes over-night, it's really not food-safe.

"No, potatoes cannot sit out overnight. The maximum time a peeled potato can sit out is 4 hours (although 1-2 is your safest bet). Even if they look edible after four hours, it is better to be safe than sorry. . .

Do Potatoes Cause Food Poisoning?
If kept in improper locations, yes, potatoes can cause food poisoning. The worst potato-related illness is botulism, a severe variety of food poisoning that causes blurred vision, weakness, and slurred speech. Extreme cases may even lead to death."

https://practicalcooks.com/how.....-out/

(And please don't bring in your survivors bias, anecdotal evidence that you've been doing this for x years and no one's ever gotten sick. You are putting people at risk.)

They are not talking about potatoes immersed in water like all those who peel in advance do.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
What if you peel them and then refrigerate

They should be fine for around 24 hours in water in the fridge. After that the water starts to soak in and break down the starches, from what I understand.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:19 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
They are not talking about potatoes immersed in water like all those who peel in advance do.

Immersed in water is the same issue as sitting out. They are still prone to bacteria multiplying. Refrigeration is what makes a difference, not the water. The water is only helpful in terms of oxidation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics