Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Can u help me plan a travel camp for my girls
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 2:55 pm
My 3 girls (15,16&18) all have 4 weeks in the summer to travel within the USA. I may join them for a few days but can’t quite take off 4 weeks. They’re responsible and we have traveled a lot and they’re great at it. I don’t have the means (4500 a kid!) to send them to a travel camp and know that they can do this on their own for 1/2 the price or less. They’re excited.

They would love to pick a region and hear some highlights. They’re curious especially from those whose girls have been on traveling camps where frum teen travel camps go

Window

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 2:56 pm
Do they drive?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 2:59 pm
Window wrote:
Do they drive?

My dghter is getting her license now but the last time she traveled with friends they went to an area where Ubers and public transportation were available and they did well. We will see where they go but they prefer to fly somewhere cuz she can’t rent a car yet and we only have one car which we will need…

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 3:22 pm
I would say west coast (San Francisco to LA-San Diego) but really you need to be able to drive/have a car for that. There’s so so much to see and do in that area -national parks, landmarks, views..
Las Vegas area might work and maybe there are busses to Sedona/Grand Canyon.
Any area will be tough without wheels in the USA!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 3:44 pm
Went to two travel camps but both routes include loads of driving. Not for a new driver.

mha3484

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 3:50 pm
Also where are they going to sleep?

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 4:08 pm
Alaska. There are things to do, people to see, the weather is beautiful in the summer. Reserve AirBnBs before they go and double check that there are Uber and Lyft services available there.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 4:18 pm
So just to clarify what my girls have done previously (for 10 days) is fly down to a location (don’t want to give details) where we rented an Airbnb and tons of the attractions were within 7-10 min walk and they Ubered and did busses and even a 3 hour rail trip for the rest.

I agree cross country driving is not for a newbie & we would probably stick to similar model as above

Petra

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 4:43 pm
Not sure an 18 yr old can drive a rental car if u are renting but I may be wrong.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 6:30 pm
I have been to Miami without a car. To Orlando. To Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Niagara.

doctorima

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 6:36 pm
I don't know where they've gone in the past, but it doesn't sound like a viable model for the US, certainly not the areas where traveling camps go. There's no place I'd want to go for 4 weeks - or even for 1 week - that the attractions are within a 7-10 minute walk of each other. If they're relying on mass transit or proximity, that knocks out all the best national parks out West, where things are REALLY spread out and mass transit is nonexistent.

They could come to NYC, where mass transit is quite reliable and there's plenty to keep busy for a week or so. They could also go to Orlando, which has lots of theme parks all nearby, but it can be brutal in the summer. Otherwise, maybe some place in Europe would be a better option.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:24 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
I have been to Miami without a car. To Orlando. To Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Niagara.

Niagara was the only place I could think of that it could work but food would still be a challenge for that long.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:32 pm
I can see this working for a week but can’t imagine longers

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:51 pm
I wonder if it might work for her to take your car and you rent a car for the time she’s away. Would definitely open more options.

amother
Honey

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 8:05 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Niagara was the only place I could think of that it could work but food would still be a challenge for that long.

Most people spend a couple days in Niagara.
After a week youd have done EVERYTHING.

Why dont you want to share where youve made this work in the past?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 10:48 am
So because so many people seem to wonder where you can go I’ll name some places they have done:

Myrtle Beach SC
Gatlinberg TN (including Smokey Mountain)
Savannah GA
Atlanta GA
Phoenix AZ (& did Grand Canyon via Train!)

You would not believe how many things are easily accessible without a car. All these places they flew to , got good Airbnb and used Uber/transit

Just looking for some new ideas which some of you have given Wink

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 10:54 am
If you want to do Disney World in Orlando,

There Are motels that have buses taking you to and from the theme parks.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 11:04 am
Do you know of an older girl (cousin, neighbor, friend) you can pay to spend a couple weeks with them to make the traveling more accessible? Also safety wise, to make sure they’re okay.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 11:12 am
amother OP wrote:
So because so many people seem to wonder where you can go I’ll name some places they have done:

Myrtle Beach SC
Gatlinberg TN (including Smokey Mountain)
Savannah GA
Atlanta GA
Phoenix AZ (& did Grand Canyon via Train!)

You would not believe how many things are easily accessible without a car. All these places they flew to , got good Airbnb and used Uber/transit

Just looking for some new ideas which some of you have given Wink

They spent 4 weeks in these places?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 11:58 am
I did a 3 1/2 week cross country trip on Amtrak with my sister and 2 friends (4 girls total) - it was a lot of fun!! We look the California Zephyr and saw a lot of highlights. My favorite was the days we spent in Yosemite.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps