Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hoverboard/Segway should I buy one??

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:41 pm
10 yr old ds tells me "everyone" has one of them.

I like his bike because honestly he could use the exercise (it doesn't look like kids get as much exercise on a hoverboard/Segway but maybe I'm wrong?)... plus I feel it's safer.

But he's been begging for months.... I'm not one of the parents who gives in everytime one of my kids say that "everyone" has something, but if it's really true that most kids have, I don't want him to feel deprived..... Do most kids have one (talking about in the tristate area)? How safe are they? Is there a big difference between a Segway and a hoverboard? Is this something that's important for me to buy for him even though I like the idea of him riding a bike better ?
And any recommendations and links?

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:42 pm
No

Its very unsafe

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:49 pm
Imo a childs segway is saver than a hoverboard.
My 10 yo has both.
I prefer she rides her segway. We got her the kids version (don't be fooled by the "kids version" the price is still prohibitive)
She mist wear her helmet even if she rides in the driveway or the basement. Always helmet first.
With the bike she can go a LOT faster than with the segway.
She has fallen from both and actually hurt herself much more falling off her bike than the segway.
She has adhd had very poor core strength and coordination and the segway did WONDERS for her. Completely not the same kid.
Last year she had trouble sitting (she's not hyperactive. She had inattentive adhd) but it was physically difficult to sit for more than 10-15 minutes. We got her the segway beginning of the summer and this year we didn't hear a single complaint from her or her teachers.

That's my take.
Fast going bikes (fast speed bikes) scooters and adult versions of anything isn't safe for kids anyway.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 9:24 am
amother Linen wrote:
Imo a childs segway is saver than a hoverboard.
My 10 yo has both.
I prefer she rides her segway. We got her the kids version (don't be fooled by the "kids version" the price is still prohibitive)
She mist wear her helmet even if she rides in the driveway or the basement. Always helmet first.
With the bike she can go a LOT faster than with the segway.
She has fallen from both and actually hurt herself much more falling off her bike than the segway.
She has adhd had very poor core strength and coordination and the segway did WONDERS for her. Completely not the same kid.
Last year she had trouble sitting (she's not hyperactive. She had inattentive adhd) but it was physically difficult to sit for more than 10-15 minutes. We got her the segway beginning of the summer and this year we didn't hear a single complaint from her or her teachers.

That's my take.
Fast going bikes (fast speed bikes) scooters and adult versions of anything isn't safe for kids anyway.

Can you link the Segway you bought? Thanks

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 9:41 am
https://store.segway.com/nineb.....w_wcB

It was $350 at the time.
We told my kid that this is more expensive than anything we ever bought her and will likely be the most expensive gift for a long long time. And we will not replace it.
She has trouble remembering to be responsible with her stuff. And this was also a huge incentive to work on routine and responsibility. (She has adhd) She made sure every night it was unplugged (don't ever leave these things plugged in overnight.) And it was in the garage.
It was amazing seeing her gain confidence in her ability to be responsible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 9:46 am
amother Linen wrote:
https://store.segway.com/ninebot-s-kids?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjMKqBhCgARIsAPDgWlzayVQV5VEEICx_6SUvj_67wyllAIom6beA4DX1GsS2-epHl_UqslsaAu1WEALw_wcB

It was $350 at the time.
We told my kid that this is more expensive than anything we ever bought her and will likely be the most expensive gift for a long long time. And we will not replace it.
She has trouble remembering to be responsible with her stuff. And this was also a huge incentive to work on routine and responsibility. (She has adhd) She made sure every night it was unplugged (don't ever leave these things plugged in overnight.) And it was in the garage.
It was amazing seeing her gain confidence in her ability to be responsible.

It sounds like it was amazing for her! I think it might also be helpful for ds for some of the reasons you listed. Thanks for the tips and link!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 9:50 am
amother OP wrote:
It sounds like it was amazing for her! I think it might also be helpful for ds for some of the reasons you listed. Thanks for the tips and link!

Imo it's an amazing piece! I loved that it talked her thru learning to ride it and if it feels she's going too fast or something it will ding and remind her to slow down or be safe.
We left the voice training part on for a while until she asked to turn it off.
It will remind the rider never to ride in wet weather's. And to keep to safe ways of riding.
It's expensive. But imo, if one can afford it it's amazing. I think it goes up to 8or 9mph not more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children