Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Anyone have a really good shnitzel recipe?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:21 pm
So in the mood of a really yummy shnitzel tonight

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:25 pm
SICILIAN CHICKEN “SCHNITZEL” WITH LEMON DRESSING

Serves 6 to 8

This is one of my favorite main courses that I have been so excited to share with you. It’s loosely based on a dish that Giuliano Bugialli, the famous Italian scholar, cooking teacher, and cookbook author, made when he taught at my school. There are lots of wonderful recipes for schnitzel and many countries claim to have invented it. The technique is usually the same: dip very thin slices of veal, chicken, turkey, or eggplant first into flour to dry them, then into egg to make the breadcrumbs stick, and then into breadcrumbs before frying in oil in a deep skillet (for the ultimate discussion on schnitzel, and for a million other reasons you need to visit the Alps, see Meredith Erickson’s incredible travel-guide-meets-cookbook, Alpine Cooking).

My version is a little different. I wanted to bake the chicken in the oven to avoid frying, which has to be done at the last minute for best results, but the thin slices never browned enough in the oven or became crispy without being overcooked. So I started using thicker pieces of chicken. I bread them as usual, but spoon dressing on them before baking and then halfway through. This way they are always juicy and crisp. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do. It’s a great recipe to make up to 1 day ahead. Serve with olive and fennel salad (see this page).

2½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or a combination)
1 tsp + 2 tsp kosher salt
Pinch + ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano

Lemon Dressing

2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
⅔ cup fresh lemon juice
⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
1½ tsp kosher salt
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 sprigs fresh oregano or flat-leaf parsley
8 lemon slices or wedges

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you’re making this ahead (see recipe intro), place a wire rack on another baking sheet and set aside.

2. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel, then pound the meat into even pieces about ½ inch to ¾ inch thick.

Season with 1 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper.

Arrange separate shallow bowls of flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Add the parsley, garlic, oregano, 2 tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper to the bowl with the breadcrumbs and mix well.

Dip a piece of chicken into the flour, shaking off the excess. Place the chicken in the eggs, letting any excess egg drip back into the bowl before transferring the chicken to the breadcrumbs. Press the chicken firmly into the breadcrumbs on both sides. If you’re making ahead, place in a single layer on the prepared rack and repeat the process with the remaining pieces of chicken; cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to overnight. If you’re cooking the chicken right away, place it directly on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper (no rack needed).

3. For the lemon dressing, combine the garlic with the lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. If not cooking right away, be sure to whisk the dressing well before spooning onto the chicken.

4. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F. If you haven’t done so already, arrange the chicken on the lined baking sheet in a single layer. Use two baking sheets if necessary. Whisk the dressing well to emulsify it, then spoon about half of it over the chicken just before baking. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and, after whisking the remaining dressing well, spoon it over the chicken. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and crisp.

5. Serve with sprigs of fresh oregano and lemon slices.

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:27 pm
Baked or fried?
For baked, I like the dinner done recipe-it's nuggets that you shake in a bag with a mix of sesame seeds, breadcrumbs, oil and spices. It comes out really juicy and delicious. My nephews, who won't eat shnitzel usually, will always take seconds of these.
Fried I like to be mostly traditional-dip in flour, then eggs, then I do either a panko mix which is already spiced, or I spice breadcrumbs myself. Then fry. Never have any leftovers which is always a good sign.

peace2

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:28 pm
If you have the Table for Two cookbook by Rivka Parizad, the crispy teriyaki chicken in the shabbos section is ridiculously good especially fresh. It's a bit of a patchke but it comes out incredible. I can post the recipe in a bit if you don't have it

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:38 pm
[quote="peace2"]If you have the Table for Two cookbook by Rivka Parizad, the crispy teriyaki chicken in the shabbos section is ridiculously good especially fresh. It's a bit of a patchke but it comes out incredible. I can post the recipe in a bit if you don't have it[/quo

please do!

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:04 pm
I use seasoned panko crumbs and mix Dijon mustard into the egg layer. Yum! Crispy and flavorful even when baked or made on the Betty crocker (I never fry)

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:34 pm
amother Sage wrote:
I use seasoned panko crumbs and mix Dijon mustard into the egg layer. Yum! Crispy and flavorful even when baked or made on the Betty crocker (I never fry)

Can you give instructions for cooking on the Betty? Do you line with parchment paper or straight on the Betty? Any oil? Open or closed? How long?
Just bought a fleishig Betty crocker and want to make schnitzel tonight.
Thanks!

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:35 pm
OP - season your breadcrumbs with McCormick Montreal chicken spice. Adds the best flavor

peace2

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:57 pm
Teriyaki Marinated Crispy Cutlets
From Table for Two by Rivka Parizad

Ingredients:
2 chicken cutlets
1 cup cornflake crumbs
oil for frying

Marinade:
1/4 c teriyaki sauce
1/4 c orange juice
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp yellow mustard

Batter:
1/2 c flour
1/2 c water
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder

Directions:
1. Rinse the chicken cutlets. Detach any loose or hanging pieces from the cutlets and reserve. Slice each cutlet through its width, creating two thinner cutlets
2. Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine
3. Place the cutlets (all pieces) in Ziploc bag with marinade and marinate for at least an hour, preferably overnight
4. Combine all batter ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine. Place the cornflake crumbs in a separate bowl
5. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet. Dip each cutlet into the batter, making sure the batter fully coats the chicken, then dip into cornflake crumbs and coat well. Fry for approximately 4 minutes on each side until golden and the cutlets can be easily pierced with a fork

Brit in Israel

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:27 pm
Equal amounts of mayonnaise and ketchup. Dip chicken, then dip in golden breadcrumbs.
Bake for approx 15 mins on 400°f turn mid way.

Works best with chicken sliced a bit thicker.
Delicious and quick 🤤😋

yachnabobba

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:33 pm
I use corn starch, egg, corn starch again fry in hot oil and drizzle with hot honey . It’s delicious and easy

YounginBP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:44 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Can you give instructions for cooking on the Betty? Do you line with parchment paper or straight on the Betty? Any oil? Open or closed? How long?
Just bought a fleishig Betty crocker and want to make schnitzel tonight.
Thanks!

Not that poster but I do it with the round parchment. It makes clean up a breeze. Tastes fried but there is no pot or counter, stove, floor to wash!

I pour oil generously, keep it closed, flip when it looks ready.
It comes out moist. The leftovers reheat well.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:07 pm
YounginBP wrote:
Not that poster but I do it with the round parchment. It makes clean up a breeze. Tastes fried but there is no pot or counter, stove, floor to wash!

I pour oil generously, keep it closed, flip when it looks ready.
It comes out moist. The leftovers reheat well.

Sorry, just to clarify: you do parchment paper and then oil?

YounginBP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:12 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Sorry, just to clarify: you do parchment paper and then oil?

Yes, both

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:17 pm
Amarante wrote:
SICILIAN CHICKEN “SCHNITZEL” WITH LEMON DRESSING

Serves 6 to 8

This is one of my favorite main courses that I have been so excited to share with you. It’s loosely based on a dish that Giuliano Bugialli, the famous Italian scholar, cooking teacher, and cookbook author, made when he taught at my school. There are lots of wonderful recipes for schnitzel and many countries claim to have invented it. The technique is usually the same: dip very thin slices of veal, chicken, turkey, or eggplant first into flour to dry them, then into egg to make the breadcrumbs stick, and then into breadcrumbs before frying in oil in a deep skillet (for the ultimate discussion on schnitzel, and for a million other reasons you need to visit the Alps, see Meredith Erickson’s incredible travel-guide-meets-cookbook, Alpine Cooking).

My version is a little different. I wanted to bake the chicken in the oven to avoid frying, which has to be done at the last minute for best results, but the thin slices never browned enough in the oven or became crispy without being overcooked. So I started using thicker pieces of chicken. I bread them as usual, but spoon dressing on them before baking and then halfway through. This way they are always juicy and crisp. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do. It’s a great recipe to make up to 1 day ahead. Serve with olive and fennel salad (see this page).

2½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or a combination)
1 tsp + 2 tsp kosher salt
Pinch + ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano

Lemon Dressing

2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
⅔ cup fresh lemon juice
⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
1½ tsp kosher salt
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 sprigs fresh oregano or flat-leaf parsley
8 lemon slices or wedges

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you’re making this ahead (see recipe intro), place a wire rack on another baking sheet and set aside.

2. Pat the chicken dry with paper towel, then pound the meat into even pieces about ½ inch to ¾ inch thick.

Season with 1 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper.

Arrange separate shallow bowls of flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Add the parsley, garlic, oregano, 2 tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper to the bowl with the breadcrumbs and mix well.

Dip a piece of chicken into the flour, shaking off the excess. Place the chicken in the eggs, letting any excess egg drip back into the bowl before transferring the chicken to the breadcrumbs. Press the chicken firmly into the breadcrumbs on both sides. If you’re making ahead, place in a single layer on the prepared rack and repeat the process with the remaining pieces of chicken; cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to overnight. If you’re cooking the chicken right away, place it directly on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper (no rack needed).

3. For the lemon dressing, combine the garlic with the lemon juice, olive oil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. If not cooking right away, be sure to whisk the dressing well before spooning onto the chicken.

4. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F. If you haven’t done so already, arrange the chicken on the lined baking sheet in a single layer. Use two baking sheets if necessary. Whisk the dressing well to emulsify it, then spoon about half of it over the chicken just before baking. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and, after whisking the remaining dressing well, spoon it over the chicken. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and crisp.

5. Serve with sprigs of fresh oregano and lemon slices.

This looks sooooo good!
You always have the best recipes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics