Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How long do you roast vegetables for?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:05 pm
Peppers zucchini and mushrooms. I usually cook on 425 but they always get mushy and burnt. What am I doing wrong? I want them to taste like the way weddings make them

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:08 pm
Are you using a real heavy duty sheet pan or a disposable? I read an article that said you should pre heat the baking sheet you use and it makes for a more even cook. I personally like to use the air fryer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:14 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Are you using a real heavy duty sheet pan or a disposable? I read an article that said you should pre heat the baking sheet you use and it makes for a more even cook. I personally like to use the air fryer.

Disposable

I roast them in 9x13 pans

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:16 pm
That's your issue. You need a real heavy duty metal sheet pan with low sides. A disposable does not retain heat well and you wont get even cooking and the nice caramelization you want. Also the high sides of a 9x13 will make them steam which makes them mushy.

I started lining real pans with parchment to save clean up time and the food comes out way better.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:18 pm
I stopped using metal because the pan was very hard to wash

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:19 pm
Line with parchment paper. Makes clean up a breeze.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:22 pm
You are cooking way too long - different veggies have different cooking times so you might have to add them at different times so they are done properly

Reduce heat - 400 degrees or 375 if you have a convection oven

You would be better cooking in a heavy duty roasting pan and use heavy tin foil to line as they will cook better. With tinfoil lining there is virtually no clean up and it is not as wasteful.

Don't crowd or the veggies will steam instead of roast - Only one layer so they roast well.

Toss your veggies half way through so they evenly cook

Keep in mind that not all vegetables should be roasted together because they have different cooking times - mushrooms generally take longer than zucchini or peppers. Large slices of zucchini and pepper will roast better

Harder/denser veggies like sweet potatoes, potatoes, parsnips, butternut squash, beets, Brussels sprouts, and carrots will all roast nicely together. Softer veggies like zucchini, bell peppers, sweet corn, summer squash, green beans, and asparagus all work nicely together.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Nov 14 2023, 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:33 pm
Roasted Winter Vegetables

1 pound carrots peeled
1 pound parsnips peeled
1 large sweet potato peeled
1 2 lb butternut squash peeled and seeded
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the 425 degrees. Cut the carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and butternut squash into 1 to 1 1/4 inch cubes. All the vegetables will shrink while baking, so don't cut them too small.,

Place all the cut vegetables in a single layer on two sheet pans. Drizzle them with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until all the vegetables are tender, turning once with a metal spatula.

Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste, and serve hot.

Roasted Summer Vegetables

2 medium zucchinis
1 red bell pepper, preferably Holland
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, preferably Holland
1 fennel bulb
1 small red onion
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Trim the ends of the zucchinis and cut them diagonally in ¾-inch-thick slices. (The slices will seem large, but they’ll shrink while they cook.) Cut the peppers lengthwise in 1½-inch-wide slices, discarding the core. Trim off the fennel stalks and cut the bulb through the core in 1-inch wedges. (Cutting through the core keeps the pieces intact.) Peel the onion and slice it in ¼-inch-thick rounds, leaving the slices intact.

Place the vegetables in groups on a sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil, add the garlic, and toss gently to be sure the vegetables are lightly coated with oil. Spread the vegetables in one layer on 2 sheet pans. (If they’re crowded, they’ll steam rather than roast.) Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and place the thyme sprigs on top. Roast for 15 minutes. Turn each piece and put the pans back in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until all the vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with extra salt and serve hot or at room temperature.

Roasted Mushrooms

INGREDIENTS

▢ 1½ pounds mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, oyster or portobellos or a mixture
▢ ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
▢ 1 garlic clove, grated or finely chopped
▢ Kosher salt
▢ Freshly ground black pepper to taste
▢ ¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
▢ 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
▢ 1 lemon, sliced in half

NSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 425 (220 C) degrees.

Trim off thick stems from the mushrooms. Tear or slice the caps into large, bite-size pieces, halves or quarters depending on the size of the caps, and put into a large bowl. Keep in mind that they will shrink quite a bit in the oven.

Add the olive oil, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, black and red pepper to the mushrooms and toss to combine. They can marinate up to one day ahead.

Spread the mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet in one layer without crowding. Use an additional pan if needed. Bake 10 minutes, then stir the mushrooms around in the pan. Bake an additional 5-8 minutes, until the mushrooms look wrinkled, have released their liquid and are crisp on the edges.
Squeeze the lemon halves over the mushrooms. Scrape the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits. Transfer the mushrooms to a serving bowl or platter, sprinkle with parsley and serve.[color=Font Color] [/color][color=Font Color] [/color]

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Nov 16 2023, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:34 pm
You need to roast on a real heavy duty pan, and line with parchment paper. There will be no mess and you'll get delicious caramelized vegetables.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:55 pm
For best results I do them separately, especially mushrooms. I might combine zucchini and peppers. And yes, sheet pan. I like the Nordic Ware ones--they wash up easily... Sometimes they need a little soak.

scintilla

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 5:58 pm
If they are mushy, you're probably overcrowding the pan. If you spread them out enough you can even get decent results with disposable. But yeah a real sheet pan is what gets really yummy roasted vegetables.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 7:02 pm
Zucchini and mushrooms only need to be roasted for 18 minutes.
Spread them out on a cookie sheet. One layer, don't overcrowd the pan. Don't use a pan with high sides, since that retains moisture.
Even if it looks like the veggies can use more time, take them out at 18 minutes. Mix and you'll see that they continue to cook a drop afterwards while they're still hot.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 8:34 pm
I realized when we didn’t see it was tasting that great bc I was using the wrong olive oil. We like it better using extra virgin olive oil tastes much better instead of extra light olive oil. Would anyone know of canola oil would work?
Thanks

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:07 pm
How can I roast a lot of veggies at once without overcrowding the pans?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:14 pm
amother OP wrote:

A cookie sheet aluminum pan is double the size of a 9x13.
Sometimes I put in 2 cookie sheet pans at a time, and rotate the bottom to the top halfway through so both sheets get even cooking.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:20 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
I realized when we didn’t see it was tasting that great bc I was using the wrong olive oil. We like it better using extra virgin olive oil tastes much better instead of extra light olive oil. Would anyone know of canola oil would work?
Thanks

Do you not like the taste because canola oil is completely tasteless so it is considered a neutral oil. Many recipes deliberately use olive oil for the taste.

I have a roasted green bean recipe that uses sesame oil for flavor because it is Chinese inspired.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

The key is the cookie sheet.
I make delicious roasted veggies on disposable cookie sheets.
If you use a 9 x 13 your steaming them.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 10:52 pm
amother OP wrote:

You need a sheet pan, not a 9x13

Or 2 sheet pans

None of the veggies should be touching
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics