Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Braces covered by insurance in Israel?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 11:25 am
Anyone know?

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 12:38 pm
Nope. Braces are pretty pricey here. Maybe part of it is but from what I hear it's pretty pricey still.

juggling

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 12:43 pm
Insurance or kupat holim?

Some people do have dental insurance policies, though it isn't common. I have no idea how those policies work, or what they cover.

As far as kupat holim, I know in at least some of the kupot their highest level of coverage does include braces. In macabi, if you have sheli you get a 50% discount on braces at macabident. It does come out significantly less than paying privately. You don't get the same level of attention at macabident as you would with a private orthodontist, but it is a big savings.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 2:47 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Nope. Braces are pretty pricey here. Maybe part of it is but from what I hear it's pretty pricey still.

This is not true.
For some kupot it is covered. Not the full amount, but not as pricey as if done privately.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 2:58 pm
juggling wrote:
Insurance or kupat holim?

Some people do have dental insurance policies, though it isn't common. I have no idea how those policies work, or what they cover.

As far as kupat holim, I know in at least some of the kupot their highest level of coverage does include braces. In macabi, if you have sheli you get a 50% discount on braces at macabident. It does come out significantly less than paying privately. You don't get the same level of attention at macabident as you would with a private orthodontist, but it is a big savings.

Yes BUT you must have been on maccabi sheli for a certain amount if time before you get this benefit.

juggling

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Yes BUT you must have been on maccabi sheli for a certain amount if time before you get this benefit.

Right, it's like 3 or 6 months iirc.

The more important thing is to remember to cancel sheli once you're done with the braces, unless you still need sheli for something else. They make it very easy to sign up for sheli (I think it's through the app) and much harder to cancel it (iirc you need to sign something and hand it in in person. And of course if the patient is over 18 *they* need to be the one to sign it.)

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:05 pm
I do it on leumit, it's about 40% of the price.

ora_43

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:07 pm
Meuchedet also covers 50% of the cost.

But make sure you're doing it the correct way. Usually there are specific clinics where it's 5,000 or so shekels (half cost). If you go to a regular clinic, you'll pay full price, even if it's a clinic affiliated with the kuppah.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:27 pm
juggling wrote:
Right, it's like 3 or 6 months iirc.

The more important thing is to remember to cancel sheli once you're done with the braces, unless you still need sheli for something else. They make it very easy to sign up for sheli (I think it's through the app) and much harder to cancel it (iirc you need to sign something and hand it in in person. And of course if the patient is over 18 *they* need to be the one to sign it.)

I believe everyone should be on the highest tier. Chas shalom you never know when someone may get seriously ill, diagnosed with something, need a surgery etc and you will have much more covered and open with the highest tiers.

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:44 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I believe everyone should be on the highest tier. Chas shalom you never know when someone may get seriously ill, diagnosed with something, need a surgery etc and you will have much more covered and open with the highest tiers.

Really depends on which kuppa you are on. From what I've heard, meuchedet you need si for those extras, but maccabi sheli vs maccabi zahav really only helps with alternative therapies and various extras (horseback riding, exercise classes, braces, etc), based on my many conversations with maccabi trying to convince me to join Sheli. I finally did just for my kids so they could cover braces but when it was time decided that it wasn't worth the 5000sh difference between that and private if I wasn't guaranteed an excellent orthodontist - as I know some family members in chul whose orthodontist was not excellent and they needed repeat braces years later.

Not saying there aren't maccabident orthodontists who are excellent, but I didn't know for sure and didn't want to take that risk.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:48 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

How much does it cost?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:51 pm
We’re paying ~7000 private.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:01 pm
7k shekel? In the u.s it ranges from 5-8k in dollars.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:10 pm
It depends on the extent of the problem. One of my kids needed 5 years of treatment - a palette widener, braces, elastics, a retainer and then more braces. I paid 4000 shekel on leumit. My next child has a much more complicated problem involving surgery, two years of braces and then more surgery. A private clinic affiliated with leumit have quoted us 5400 shekel including surgery with a top dental surgeon.

The private quote I took for the older one was 9800 and the next one 14600. I think the surgery was covered 100% by the kupa and we pay 60% of the braces.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:13 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
How much does it cost?

Did you mean the supplementary insurance? It varies from kupa to kupa. On leumit we pay 134 shekel per month for the whole family for leumit zahav.

juggling

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 10:38 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Macabi Zahav is the highest tier in terms of unexpected emergencies. Sheli covers extras which each person can calculate whether they need them, and if it's worth the cost.

juggling

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 10:40 pm
amother Black wrote:
7k shekel? In the u.s it ranges from 5-8k in dollars.

7k shekels is lower than I've paid for private. I'm sure there's a range. Nevertheless, since people generally pay for braces out of pocket and salaries in Israel are lower than the US, I would expect the cost to be much lower in Israel.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 10:44 pm
juggling wrote:
7k shekels is lower than I've paid for private. I'm sure there's a range. Nevertheless, since people generally pay for braces out of pocket and salaries in Israel are lower than the US, I would expect the cost to be much lower in Israel.

Why doesn't your reasoning work for everything else like food and shelter?

juggling

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 10:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why doesn't your reasoning work for everything else like food and shelter?

I'm no economist, and I can't explain why basics like food and housing are so expensive here. But many services are cheaper in Israel. It was definitely the case years ago, though I have no idea what these things cost in America nowadays. Babysitting, cleaning help, gym membership. Shul memberships are much cheaper in Israel. Prices to attend lectures and shiurim. Etc. Also public transportation, but that is by design. The government subsidizes public transportation and taxes private cars.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions