Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Names for body parts and bodily functions (merged)
  Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 14  15  16  Next

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 6:53 pm
yoyosma wrote:
I told DD that no one but Mommy is allowed to touch her wherever her bathing suit covers. I figure those are the guidelines.

This kid is going to be REALLY traumatized when you take her to the doctor... (or your mother gives her a bath, etc.)

I think you need to be very careful and qualify these statements.

yoyosma

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:19 pm
My mother doesnt bathe her, and when we go to the Doctor, I am in the room. I dont leave her alone, naked, with people other than me.

mumsy23

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:27 pm
A big Thumbs Up to you Yoyosma. That is exactly what little kids should be taught about private parts. It is what my mother told me and I'H what I will tell dd when she is old enough to understand.

hisorerus

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 1:44 am
But the doctor may need to touch...

I don't like saying that, because if an emergency comes up- what are you going to do?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 2:06 am
We have taught our daughters "woo woo".
Is that so terrible and against Torah?
My baby has actually been able to tell us that she had a yeast infection by saying "woo woo" many times. That obviously got our attention and we medicated her to make her more comfortable.
By giving it a name you affirm ownership.

faigie

Post Sat, Jul 08 2006, 11:43 pm
..........biologically it is waste,,,,,,,,,,,, but you dont need to eqate whatever comes out of ones body with shmutz. that would be dirt, that would be implyiong that ones body makes dirt. not a place that id want to go.
you can easily keep it simple and call it all a tush. this is a THREE year old were talking about, and all of this agenda IMHO is big time overkill.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:01 am
faigie wrote:
..........biologically it is waste,,,,,,,,,,,, but you dont need to eqate whatever comes out of ones body with shmutz. that would be dirt, that would be implyiong that ones body makes dirt. not a place that id want to go.

But your body DOES make dirt. That doesn't make the body bad, that's just the way it is. I don't see why that would negatively affect a child.

Quote:
you can easily keep it simple and call it all a tush.

And then when the kid tells her morah that her tush hurts, you'll have one confused morah since NO ONE calls it a tush, except you.

Quote:
this is a THREE year old were talking about, and all of this agenda IMHO is big time overkill.

A child's chinuch and future attitudes about her body? I don't think it's overkill. Confused

realeez

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 7:03 am
[quote=\"Crayon210\"]The whole thing is NOT a tush. (I can't believe I posted that.)[/quote]

The whole area of a female is not a v-gina either. Honestly a 3 y.o. couldn't care less about her v-gina either - she cares about where her urine comes out of. When a girl is getting her period, then it is important to know about her v-gina. If I was teaching preschool, and a little girl came up to me that her v-gina hurts I would understand just as little as if she said her tush hurts.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 12:04 pm
So the answer isn't necessarily to call it that, but I don't think "tush" is the answer either.

realeez

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 1:23 pm
I don't think that there is any across the board "right" answer for this. I think that the most important is that everyone does what they are comfortable with provided that the names they use are not offensive to anyone and do not give a message that the private parts are dirty or bad in any way.

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 6:30 pm
mommyabc123 wrote:
I think that the most important is that everyone does what they are comfortable with

Did you see the Torah sources mentioned earlier?

Quote:
provided that the names they use are not offensive to anyone

Will you do a poll?

realeez

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 6:46 pm
Motek wrote:
mommyabc123 wrote:
I think that the most important is that everyone does what they are comfortable with

Did you see the Torah sources mentioned earlier?

On a frum board, it should be a given that people will do things according to the direction of the Torah and our Rabbanim.

Honestly, I read the last couple of pages but not the entire thread and my answers are to those posts.

Motek wrote:
mommyabc123 wrote:
provided that the names they use are not offensive to anyone

Will you do a poll?

Pardon me? On what - offensive names? Sorry but I wouldn't even type some names that people may want to use.

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 7:04 pm
but people often don't know that Torah has something to say about a given subject, like this one

re "poll" - I didn't mean on this forum, I was referring to your comment and wondering how you would know what would or wouldn't offend anyone

realeez

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 7:12 pm
motek wrote:
but people often don't know that Torah has something to say about a given subject, like this one

That is unfortunate

motek wrote:
and wondering how you would know what would or wouldn't offend anyone

I mean words that are more commonly used as swear words or considered obscene.

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:23 pm
sigh
shmutz is a negative term................there are other words to use in conjuction with ones bodily functions. one can use BM ( bowel movement) as in.... did you make a BM? my sister uses that term.
... if a three year old tells her morah her tushy hurts,, the morah can take a look a nd easily see if the kid has a rash or what have you. if the kid hurts when she pishes,, shell say so. three year olds by and large do not have vaginal infections. it usually either a rash or......worms..........possibly though rarely a UTI.
this is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:38 pm
I think use of "shmutz" is another Yiddish issue. I didn't know that shmutz has a negative connotation; where I come from it's used to literally mean DIRT.

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:41 pm
dirt has a negative connotation.

didan

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 9:56 pm
B"H

What's negative about dirt? When we're dirty, we wash ourselves. We use the word Shmutz, as in the diaper is Shmutzik. (Although my daughter say "mutzik.")

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:05 pm
dirt is something we dont wish to live in........ we clean it off of ourselves........ we rid our homes of it.. etc.
there is nothing connected with shmutz thats positive.
so we can use less negative words....... they are there for the taking.

didan

Post Mon, Jul 10 2006, 10:08 pm
B"H

We don't wish to live in dirt? Go argue with my kids about that! They love playing in the dirt, digging in the sand, getting all hot and sweaty, mushing ketchup into their hair, wiping peanut butter on their shirts etc etc etc.

Dirt is fun!!!!

Of course the kind of shmutz referred to here isn't pleasant, but the concept of dirt has never been, at least in our family and to our kids, anything negative.
Page 6 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 5  6  7 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics