Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O can't wrap my head around intentional hitting thread
1  2  3  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 4:34 pm
I'm so triggered.
That woman clearly wasn't interested in changing her mindsets.
Those poor kids, innocent souls who Hashem gave us to nurture, and try our best to raise to be erliche yidden and kind, compassionate people.
I'm a mom for almost 2 decades, and have very regretfully hit my precious children, on very rare occasions. I was in an overwhelmed state,dealing with stressful situations. Not okay on my part AT ALL,just giving some background. My kids did NOTHING to deserve it. Because I believe that a child can't ever do anything which deserves a potch.
And I apologised to them afterwards, and hugged and cuddled them as well. I also reassued them that I love them, and they didn’t do anything to deserve it.
But to intentionally??!! hit your precious kid?
What can a child possibly do that can't be dealt with differently?
I'm super far from being a perfect parent, but I love my kids a lot, even though they can be super challenging. But hitting as a tool is b"h not an option.
I can only daven that I have the mental health and inner calm to use healthier, way more effective methods.
There, had to get it off my chest.
Back to top

amother
Red


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 4:42 pm
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
Back to top

amother
Cyan


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 4:44 pm
A soft potch can do wonders, esp in younger children who ignore you or don't understand your words.

The funny part is that you keep talking about how sometimes you hit & regret it- and it was out of anger- but when someone chooses to give a soft smack as part of intentional chinuch and it was predetermined, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

This is not 'beating'.
Back to top

amother
Maize


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 4:49 pm
I agree.
My husband hit once and I told him If he does it again he is never going to see the kid again.
Back to top

NechaMom




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 4:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm so triggered.
That woman clearly wasn't interested in changing her mindsets.
Those poor kids, innocent souls who Hashem gave us to nurture, and try our best to raise to be erliche yidden and kind, compassionate people.
I'm a mom for almost 2 decades, and have very regretfully hit my precious children, on very rare occasions. I was in an overwhelmed state,dealing with stressful situations. Not okay on my part AT ALL,just giving some background. My kids did NOTHING to deserve it. Because I believe that a child can't ever do anything which deserves a potch.
And I apologised to them afterwards, and hugged and cuddled them as well. I also reassued them that I love them, and they didn’t do anything to deserve it.
But to intentionally??!! hit your precious kid?
What can a child possibly do that can't be dealt with differently?
I'm super far from being a perfect parent, but I love my kids a lot, even though they can be super challenging. But hitting as a tool is b"h not an option.
I can only daven that I have the mental health and inner calm to use healthier, way more effective methods.
There, had to get it off my chest.

That op was abused herself and never healed enough to break the cycle. Did you read the post from her relative?
It’s very heartbreaking! I hope she will take the suggestions to heart.
Back to top

smss




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 4:50 pm
Some parents need to learn to trust their own intuition more, and some parents really need to be looking outside themselves for answers.
Back to top

amother
Leaf


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:00 pm
Part of the problem is how some people always always jump to normalize hitting.
Hitting is not normal!
In irregular situations I can hear why someone would be tempted to otch but to make a thing out of it because someone here or anywhere told her it's OK?? Whatever trauma and abuse the kids might suffer are in the heads of those who poo-poo it.
Back to top

challah58




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:06 pm
What is even the logic? Hitting as a response to anything your child does is teaching them nothing good.
It teaches that it's ok to hit as long as you believe you have a good reason.
It's teaching that derech eretz means nothing, and that we show respect to our parents and listen to them just because they're bigger and stronger.
It's teaching distrust towards the people who should be the most trusted by our children.

Ironically, giving a potch because you lost control of yourself for a minute is far less scary to me and far less damaging than the calm, premeditated game of hitting described in the other thread...
Back to top

amother
Red


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:08 pm
amother Maize wrote:
I agree.
My husband hit once and I told him If he does it again he is never going to see the kid again.


If this is true, you've got issues bigger then your husband hitting your kid once.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:11 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
A soft potch can do wonders, esp in younger children who ignore you or don't understand your words.

The funny part is that you keep talking about how sometimes you hit & regret it- and it was out of anger- but when someone chooses to give a soft smack as part of intentional chinuch and it was predetermined, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

This is not 'beating'.

OK, describe a scenario where a 4yr old ''needs" to be hit softly as a " chinuch technique "
I know I'll regret this Hiding
Back to top

amother
Nemesia


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:11 pm
amother Maize wrote:
I agree.
My husband hit once and I told him If he does it again he is never going to see the kid again.


How is this different than hitting? It's using threats and control as a method of gaining compliance.
Back to top

amother
Mistyrose


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:13 pm
amother Red wrote:
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn


🤣
Back to top

amother
Mistyrose


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:14 pm
Why in the world do we want to have another round of judemental arguments about this? Different people are at different places with different things. Hashem made us all different. We're different. We all do stuff that is incomprehensible to some other people - that's how Hashem made the world work🤷🏼‍♀️
Back to top

amother
Leaf


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:15 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
A soft potch can do wonders, esp in younger children who ignore you or don't understand your words.

The funny part is that you keep talking about how sometimes you hit & regret it- and it was out of anger- but when someone chooses to give a soft smack as part of intentional chinuch and it was predetermined, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

This is not 'beating'.

What is a soft potch? I didn't know the strength varies. The potch will be remembered as exactly what it was, a potch.
Back to top

amother
Maize


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:17 pm
I agree.
My husband hit once and I told him If he does it again he is never going to see the kid again.
Back to top

amother
Jetblack


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:16 pm
My toddler pushed my baby under the bath water. Does that warrant a potch?
Back to top

amother
Khaki


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:18 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
A soft potch can do wonders, esp in younger children who ignore you or don't understand your words.

The funny part is that you keep talking about how sometimes you hit & regret it- and it was out of anger- but when someone chooses to give a soft smack as part of intentional chinuch and it was predetermined, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

This is not 'beating'.


Why would a kid care if they get a soft smack? If it doesn’t hurt how does it deter them?
Back to top

amother
Red


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:19 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
My toddler pushed my baby under the bath water. Does that warrant a potch?


How does this happen if a parent is right there supervising?
If a parent wasn't supervising, then the parent deserves a potch.
Back to top

amother
Mustard


 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:22 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
My toddler pushed my baby under the bath water. Does that warrant a potch?


No, it warrants better supervision so that this won’t happen. Toddlers don’t understand drowning, it’s up to their parents to keep babies safe around them.
Back to top

BrisketBoss




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Why would a kid care if they get a soft smack? If it doesn’t hurt how does it deter them?


The idea is that the child 'knows they have been punished.' They are in disgrace. The parent, not trusting the child, tries to create a negative emotional experience to keep the child in line.
Back to top
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Official Bored Imamother Funny/Interesting YouTube Thread #2
by amother
258 Today at 11:28 am View last post
[ Poll ] S/O other thread (feeling grossed out) how many bathrooms ? 44 Mon, Jul 15 2024, 11:41 pm View last post
10 month old hitting,pinching, biting
by amother
6 Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:33 pm View last post
Which WIG brand for Fall for XL head
by amother
4 Mon, Jul 15 2024, 12:18 am View last post
S/o of pool rental thread
by amother
1 Sun, Jul 14 2024, 9:48 pm View last post