Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Do I need tag or can I do myself?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 1:14 pm
I have a Samsung galaxy and I'd like to put on a filter. Do I need to go to tag or is it possible to do myself?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 1:18 pm
Sure you can filter it yourself. Many options, depending what you want.
Many people filter it themselves so its not an outsider who has control.
If you feel the need for extra accountability you can have your spouse or anyone else have the password

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 1:22 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
If you feel the need for extra accountability you can have your spouse or anyone else have the password

Thank you, so glad to hear
Can you help me? How do I do it?
I think I'd want a tight filter with just some websites allowed

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 1:55 pm

Yes you can do it yourself.

If you ever want to remove it or unblock you will be able to do it yourself.

Whereas with tag, you would have to actually go in or call up.

Maryann

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:04 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
Yes you can do it yourself.

If you ever want to remove it or unblock you will be able to do it yourself.

Whereas with tag, you would have to actually go in or call up.

What's the app called?

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:05 pm
On principle, we don't use TAG, though we do filter heavily. It's expensive and they resist any changes. In addition, they can collect information for the requesting organization (school, shul, etc.) if you are part of one. It made me very uncomfortable.

We filter our devices at home. We have a 2 stage process: Router router level at home, where certain information is blocked by the router (that needed to be checked out by our employers to make sure they didn't block any important work related information or compromise security requirements).

Device level controls:
Apples have great parental controls. Your spouse/ friend/ sibling can have your parental control password so you can't undo it, and you can have theirs.

Androids are much harder to manage, but possible. We have found Custodio currently the most reasonably priced, and less hassle than others. It is relatively good; it doesn't change skin tone. Every few years we need to change companies.

In general, find a buddy you trust and give them the password to the filter program. You'd need to request permission for them to add apps/ sites etc. This is common because it might block sites you want to see; ie: all entertainment will include lots of cooking websites and imamother.

We also use these systems to put time limits on certain apps/ sites as well.

A clever kid can get around android controls. You need someone to actually see their activity, to see if they're trying to tunnel around the filters.

Refine

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:11 pm
Does custudio filter YouTube adds?

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:18 pm
Refine wrote:
Does custudio filter YouTube adds?

Youtube has recently gotten very good at disabling all ad filtering apps. It no longer allows many of the consistent work arounds.
The choice is the internal youtube controls or not permiting youtube.  
I believe TAG does not permit Youtube.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:20 pm
amother Clover wrote:

A clever kid can get around android controls. You need someone to actually see their activity, to see if they're trying to tunnel around the filters.

There are those that will also send an activity report to you, so you can see all activity that each device has had, all websites they visoted, google searches, youtube history etc

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:24 pm
There are those that will also send an activity report to you, so you can see all activity that each device has had, all websites they visoted, google searches, youtube history etc

Very true. The issue is not the report; the issue is that you have to check the report. It's a real job. Also, some sites sound benign and many used to view illegal movie streams change every week or so.
It's a commitment to do this.
I wish we could just disable all mp4 and movies, but we haven't figured that out yet.

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:27 pm
Also need to do this. Can someone walk me through a basic filter please?

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:30 pm
Maryann wrote:
What's the app called?

You can filter your device yourself sure.

I dont know what it will be like compared to tag.

I have Netspark.
Maybe check it out.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 2:45 pm
amother Clover wrote:
Very true. The issue is not the report; the issue is that you have to check the report. It's a real job. Also, some sites sound benign and many used to view illegal movie streams change every week or so.
It's a commitment to do this.
I wish we could just disable all mp4 and movies, but we haven't figured that out yet.

Dunno, so far I find it quite easy. Even entertaining.
I get a report sent to me weekly (or I can check in as needed) and I scan through them, clicking on anything I dont know...its fun to tell my kids "I saw you were looking at egyptian mummies, that was so cool!". I love them knowing that I see what they do, while still giving them space

AllThings

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 3:09 pm
amother Clover wrote:
Youtube has recently gotten very good at disabling all ad filtering apps. It no longer allows many of the consistent work arounds.
The choice is the internal youtube controls or not permiting youtube.  
I believe TAG does not permit Youtube.

TAG works with you, they don't make rules for you.
You tell them what you want and they have various filters with various options/levels. Can also typically disable a category while whitelisting something specific. The only thing they really wouldn't open is something like outright p*** (but if you were trying to open that, why would you have a filter in the first place?)

I'm guessing you don't need TAG and you can do it all yourself, but there's a reason people use service providers, they generally know what they're doing and the nuances of the topic.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 3:45 pm
I want a filter specifically for my own phone
I have big yetzer hara for filth

I want a basic filter that I can list sites to allow and block, I will have my husband make the code

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 4:27 pm
I also have a big yetzer hora.
So embaressing.

Thats why I feel I need tag.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 4:34 pm
I use gentech. I purchased it myself from them directly. They helped me set it up over the phone. it doesn’t block YouTube. But catergories such as entertainment, social media, and religion. You can call them to unblock but I would be embarrassed to call to do that for a filthy site.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:51 pm
Im going to procrastinate going to tag
I want a filter asap

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Maple wrote:
I use gentech. I purchased it myself from them directly. They helped me set it up over the phone. it doesn’t block YouTube. But catergories such as entertainment, social media, and religion. You can call them to unblock but I would be embarrassed to call to do that for a filthy site.

Can you tell me more abt this filter?
Which package do you have?
I'd want to still be able to use my peacock app and be able to do online shopping...but I don't want video or images otherwise
How much do you pay?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 9:18 pm
amother Maple wrote:

I also got Gentech over the phone. They do filter Youtube, at your chosen level. They have 5 levels available within Youtube.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics