Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Tehillim in public areas...

gr8 mom

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 7:28 am
I'm just curious what people think ... I feel uncomfortable saying tehillim when I'm in a public area .. around non Jews etc... I don't know how its looked at by non Jews and I feel uncomfortable... Just curious if there's a right or wrong or just how you personally feel ...

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 7:41 am
Put your phone up next to your ear and it will look like you're talking to someone on the phone.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 7:49 am
I say from my phone but still I'm mouthing words and it is uncomfortable. I relate.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 7:54 am
I hope that people will think I move my lips when I read. Some people do, you know, especially if they're not good readers. And I do sound out what I'm reading if something is very confusing and I'm trying to figure it out.

But you do you. If you're uncomfortable, don't do it. Why do you need to say Tehillim in public?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 8:18 am
I don't feel uncomfortable saying tehillim anywhere.
I recently spent a couple of flights saying tehillim & davening much of the time, as well as in the airport. I didn't realize anyone staring, no one made me feel uncomfortable.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:03 am
Who cares? It's not like everyone else in these public places only do things that make sense anyway.

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:07 am
I relate! Feel like they probably think I’m crazy. Oh well.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 9:54 am
Are you embarrassed or afraid?
I can understand afraid. Nowadays, being visibly Jewish feels like having a big red target painted on your back.
But ashamed or embarrassed to pray? Why?
And who cares what "people will think"? You're not breaking any laws, hurting anyone, or damaging anything.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:18 am
But again I ask, why do you feel the need to say Tehillim in public places if doing so makes you uncomfortable? I'm assuming you're saying Tehillim for others and are not doing so because you yourself are in immediate danger.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:24 am
zaq wrote:
But again I ask, why do you feel the need to say Tehillim in public places if doing so makes you uncomfortable? I'm assuming you're saying Tehillim for others and are not doing so because you yourself are in immediate danger.

It's a good thing to do when one finds themselves with large amounts of free time for example when in a waiting room or when one uses any form of public transportation. Some choose to be idle and some choose to use the time wisely. Saying Tehillim is one form of using one's free time wisely.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 11:27 am
zaq wrote:

I like to say Tehillim whenever I have free time. Especially nowadays. But we never need a specific reason to daven & say tehillim. It's always the right time for it.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 11:38 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
I Some choose to be idle and some choose to use the time wisely. Saying Tehillim is one form of using one's free time wisely.

But it's hardly an either/or proposition, nor is reciting Tehillim the only option if by "using time wisely" you mean solely something religious, as opposed to, say, knitting hats for Israeli soldiers. (Personally, I consider knitting hats for Israeli soldiers to be a religious act, especially at this time.) You could study Tanach or halacha, for example, neither of which would require your mumbling to yourself in a public place, if that bothers you.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 11:47 am
zaq wrote:
But it's hardly an either/or proposition, nor is reciting Tehillim the only option if by "using time wisely" you mean solely something religious, as opposed to, say, knitting hats for Israeli soldiers. (Personally, I consider knitting hats for Israeli soldiers to be a religious act, especially at this time.) You could study Tanach or halacha, for example, neither of which would require your mumbling to yourself in a public place, if that bothers you.

Knowing me, if I choose to study anything I'll end up mumbling to myself anyway so I might as well be saying Tehillim and using a book rather then just look like I'm speaking my thoughts out loud. I also don't know how to knit so that's out.
Of course one can busy one's self with many things, it doesn't necessarily need to be something religious, notice that I said saying Tehillim is one way of using ones time wisely. I didn't say the only way.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 1:52 pm
Alwayssmiling, my response was really not to you, since you are not complaining that you feel uncomfortable reciting Tehillim in public. My response was to OP and the other posters who say they are uncomfortable doing so. But I'm still waiting for one of them to answer my question, which is, if it makes you uncomfortable, why are you doing it? There are plenty of other worthy and even pious things they can do with their odd snatches of free time.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 1:56 pm
I carry a tehillim in my bag. I like saying tehillim from a sefer. I think it looks less weird when they see a Hebrew book and me mouthing something.

chestnut

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 2:00 pm
I always said tehillim on the train. I still continue but am much more uncomfortable and scared now. Scared of some unhinged idiot seeing Hebrew in the tehillim and go on a rant. I'm in NYC.

salt

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:25 pm
essie14 wrote:
Put your phone up next to your ear and it will look like you're talking to someone on the phone.

I know someone who used to daven mincha every day on his break in university in a London telephone booth while "speaking on the phone"

mommyX2

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:31 pm
That was one of the only good things about covid and needing to wear a mask!!! I could say tehillim and no one would notice my mouth was moving. Especially in a hospital when they enforced masks.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 10:59 pm
When I was bentching after finishing my lunch, in beauty school, one other student told another not to interrupt me. "She’s praying!".
Either they get it or they don’t. If you are not in an area where you have to be aware of your surroundings

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:16 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
Who cares? It's not like everyone else in these public places only do things that make sense anyway.
This all the way!! Use the craziness to our advantage!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics