Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Children's book exchange

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:48 am
For the last week or so I keep seeing this message on people's status, where people are looking for others to participate in a huge book exchange.
This reminds me of these exchanges we has as kids, sticker exchange, stationary exchange, recipe exchange etc.
They never worked. What is the point of this?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:55 am
They exchange it forever? Interesting. It's like a library. I know someone who does this online for secular books and enjoys it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:16 am
What I don't understand is how it would work to prevent duplicates...

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:33 am
It’s like chain letters. They never work and I don’t know why people fall for it. No one gets 36 books.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:43 pm
You buy a book under the pretenses that you will receive "free" books - but it never comes.
Its a pyramid scheme - which never work.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 6:46 pm
It can work if people actually do it. I know someone who got 12 books already.

I'm not joining though πŸ˜‰

cupcake123

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:03 pm
How does it work? I feel dumb not understanding...it's literally on everyone's status

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:05 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
How does it work? I feel dumb not understanding...it's literally on everyone's status

I've done it. You basically need to send one book to someone and then include your address on bottom and the previous address on top, so that next person sends a book to the person you got it from.

And then you need to forward to whoever you think would participate to join it as well (that's the hard part) And the chain continues, but only if it keep going. And it's hard to get people on board so often the chain just stops. (which is what happened back then with stickers.... ) because it relies that the chain will continue 2 steps down only then do you start receiving books.

If someone would like to do it you can post under your username and I can send you the info.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:07 pm
amother Broom wrote:
You buy a book under the pretenses that you will receive "free" books - but it never comes.
Its a pyramid scheme - which never work.

Shout it from the rooftops!!!
I was part of a chanukah gift exchange just like this a few years ago. Basically, a few popular girls get a bunch of gifts. A few get 1 gift and most don't get any.
If no one joins "under your name" you will not get any books, even if you buy for someone else.
This is a scam in my opinion. Lucky people that get. The rest just sit there waiting for their turn to get something but it never comes.

momallhours

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:10 pm
Oh my I'm going crazy from all the texts and statuses and I keep thinking am I the only dumb one that doesn't get it or the only smart one who sees right thru it?!!!

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Shout it from the rooftops!!!
I was part of a chanukah gift exchange just like this a few years ago. Basically, a few popular girls get a bunch of gifts. A few get 1 gift and most don't get any.
If no one joins "under your name" you will not get any books, even if you buy for someone else.
This is a scam in my opinion. Lucky people that get. The rest just sit there waiting for their turn to get something but it never comes.

I don't think it's a scam but yeah it favors more well connected people because they might manage to get more people to continue it on which makes the chances of receiving back greater.

My thought process in joining was: hey, I don't know if I'll get back anything but worst case I'll have bought one book for a child who'll surely be happy to receive it. The more annoying part is trying to ask people to do this too. I posted it on my status and asked 2 groups that I'm on and I'm leaving it at that because I don't wanna put in extra energy only to get back nothing Wink

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:12 pm
The people I see posting on my status are in their twenties. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:13 pm
you know what would be cool? If instead of all this every person just buys one children's book for one person/ Ima. You buy for each other. You leave out the pressuring people part and instead you buy and receive one book from a Jewish person somewhere in the world. I think that's a lot better idea Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:14 pm
Right. So the question is- why is everyone falling for it? So many smart people have it on their status.

Here's is why I won't join, aside from my disbelief in it actuall working:
1. I don't want someone else to buy me a book. How do I know it's a book I want in my house? Maybe I already have it.
2. I have too many books already.
3. I have no room on my bookshelves.
4. Too many books!
5. Buy me a bookshelf and I'll join. Maybe.
6. I like choosing my own books.
7. But I won't because I have too many books and they are all over the house!

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 9:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right. So the question is- why is everyone falling for it? So many smart people have it on their status.

Here's is why I won't join, aside from my disbelief in it actuall working:
1. I don't want someone else to buy me a book. How do I know it's a book I want in my house? Maybe I already have it.
2. I have too many books already.
3. I have no room on my bookshelves.
4. Too many books!
5. Buy me a bookshelf and I'll join. Maybe.
6. I like choosing my own books.
7. But I won't because I have too many books and they are all over the house!

1. it's circling around frum circles, so odds are it should be ok especially since we're talking about children's book
2. Not everyone does - I don't have many books
3. see 2
4. see 2 again!
5. Hmm
6. ok, that's fair
7. And back to 2!

naomi2

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 10:54 pm
I did this once for an adult gift exchange and I sent but never received any, never mind 36! So this year to save me from tears I'm not joining.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:57 am
I tried it for the kicks of it! Will let you guys know how it's going. At best I'll receive one book Very Happy , at worst I spent 14.00 on a book that someone will enjoy.
I'm expecting nothing. Wish me luck!

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:01 am
Thanks for starting this thread, I’ve been wondering about it too! Seems so naive and pyramid scheme like to me. And I’m in my low twenties for the person who laughed at people in their twenties falling for it!

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:30 am
I'm in my thirties and I tried it. Not because I fall for these things, but because I know that if I won't try I won't know the outcome, and I NEED to know LOL

So basically it has to do with your personality. Are you a risk taker who knows it may not work but needs to know the "what if", or are you a realist (read: pessimist) who'll always say nah, it won't work why even try?

Or are you so desperate for books that you'll do anything, even be a fool, to get some for free.

Okay, I'll admit, I did feel dumb doing it, like a little kid, but I did it nonetheless. Like I said, I'll let ya know the outcome!

scruffy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:34 am
I did the sticker one as a kid and never got any back. Crying

Anyone else?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room