Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Tiny kitchen help

Traveller247

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:39 pm
I've recently moved and my apartment has a tiny kitchen. I need ideas of how best to maximise the space, different storage options etc so I can keep things tidy and can fit all I need. Any ideas?

peace2

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:42 pm
Is there space for a rolling cart/island? You can use that for more storage. The wall can be used for storage- a pot rack, hooks for utensils/pot holders, towel hooks
If there's a gap between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling, you can use it for lesser used items like big pots or oven-to-tableware (but they will get dusty so rinse before using)
Cabinets often have dead space especially deep ones so try to find functional dividers and organizers to utilize all the extra space

Traveller247

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:46 pm
peace2 wrote:
Is there space for a rolling cart/island? You can use that for more storage. The wall can be used for storage- a pot rack, hooks for utensils/pot holders, towel hooks
If there's a gap between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling, you can use it for lesser used items like big pots or oven-to-tableware (but they will get dusty so rinse before using)
Cabinets often have dead space especially deep ones so try to find functional dividers and organizers to utilize all the extra space

Thanks for your reply
There's no space for a rolling cart. The wall is a good idea although how do I keep that neat looking? No extra space on top of cabinets. There's a bit of space where they could have put a cabinet but didn't, is there anything you can suggest I do there?
My drawers go in quite deep, I'm not sure how to best use the shallower drawers all the way, any ideas for that?

peace2

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:51 pm
Traveller247 wrote:
Thanks for your reply
There's no space for a rolling cart. The wall is a good idea although how do I keep that neat looking? No extra space on top of cabinets. There's a bit of space where they could have put a cabinet but didn't, is there anything you can suggest I do there?
My drawers go in quite deep, I'm not sure how to best use the shallower drawers all the way, any ideas for that?

Maybe start with a pot rack on the wall. If it's not overcrowded, it shouldn't look too bad. A lot of pot racks also have a shelf on top that you can store bakeware on. Make sure to get it mounted properly on a stud because it'll be heavy.
For the empty space, can you find a shelving unit that fits in that spot? Or even a portable pantry. Not sure how big you're talking, but you can probably find a freestanding cabinet of some sort on amazon or ikea that could fill the spot.
For the drawers, start with some drawer dividers and cutlery organizers (you can get bigger ones for utensils and serving pieces).

nw11

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 3:17 pm
I put stick-on hooks on the inside of my cupboard doors for peelers, graters, measuring spoons, scissors, and other small knick knacks.

soundofsilence

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:46 pm
If you are allowed to drill, we installed two of these to give us counter space https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/b.....w_wcB

lucky14

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:59 pm
One of those pot hangers you can hang from the ceiling- make sure you’re allowed to if you are renting and make sure it’s installed properly! Get a professional to do it if you aren’t one in that area. Having my pots hanging gives me so much extra space!
Silverware dividers. Bins for your food pantry. Put snacks in bins.
There are small shelves you can put on wall or magnetic ones you can put on the side of the fridge to hold your spice containers.
If you have extra wall space put up a shelf for a microwave or any other appliances or cookbooks.

Traveller247

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 10:35 am
lucky14 wrote:
One of those pot hangers you can hang from the ceiling- make sure you’re allowed to if you are renting and make sure it’s installed properly! Get a professional to do it if you aren’t one in that area. Having my pots hanging gives me so much extra space!
Silverware dividers. Bins for your food pantry. Put snacks in bins.
There are small shelves you can put on wall or magnetic ones you can put on the side of the fridge to hold your spice containers.
If you have extra wall space put up a shelf for a microwave or any other appliances or cookbooks.

Pot hangers are an interesting idea, I've never seen them before.
I'll need to speak to the landlord if I'm allowed to add them myself, as well as shelves.
I like the idea of magnetic shelves as well thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics