Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Why I spend more than 10% energy from my neighbors?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 11:47 am
that's what my bill says

we use regular electricity

lights
one desktop
one hot urn
fridges
ovens
freezer

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 11:54 am
Ask your neighbors what they really use. I don’t know where they get those numbers from but I don’t think they’re accurate.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 11:54 am
It’s a lie to get you to use less electricity for the environment

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 11:56 am
Hot water urn plugged in all week eats a lot of electricity. We only plug it in for shabbos and use kettle on stove for very hot coffee during the week.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 12:01 pm
Neighbors could be broadly defined.

It is entirely conceivable based on your activities.

Some stuff like heating and cooling (assuming you have electrical heat) requires a lot of electricity.Do you like it warmer or colder? Are people home all day as that would use more energy.

If you cook a lot, then you might be using more energy for your oven and stove.

If you have a large family, your hot water use might be higher.

Also a lot depends on the energy efficiency of your appliances. I had an older refrigerator and my electric bill dropped considerably when I replaced it with a newer more energy efficient refrigerator even though it was larger.

Have you replaced your bulbs with LED - these use significantly less electricity

Why assume it is a lie especially since the implication was that somehow environment concerns were suspect. It would be more logical to assume that a utility wanted people to use more so they would have to pay more money

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 12:08 pm
I get that kind of comparison also.

Well my neighbors are an elderly couple living alone, a couple with 2 little kids, and an old lady and her aide.

We are a family of 7 and dh and I both work from home. Plus my house is bigger than theirs.

Of course my bill is highest.

Crv26900

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 12:11 pm
I'm also receiving the same information from the energy provider. I asked my neighbors, and they are all being charged similar amounts. So, I'm not sure how they measure it...

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
that's what my bill says

we use regular electricity

lights
one desktop
one hot urn
fridges
ovens
freezer

Washing machine
Dryer
Air conditioning
Heating
Phone charging
Hot water
Other rechargeable devices

Do you switch the light off when you leave the room? I was taught to do that as soon as I was old enough to reach the light switch, and it normally came in the same sentence as 'electricity bill'.

Sometimes the smaller things that you don't really think about accumulate enough to make the difference.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 12:15 pm
Crv26900 wrote:
I'm also receiving the same information from the energy provider. I asked my neighbors, and they are all being charged similar amounts. So, I'm not sure how they measure it...

I don't imagine they are basing it on the few families that live next to you.

Assume that they are using a wider range of people as your "neighbors" - as in your neighborhood so households and homes aren't monolithic.

I don't care what my neighbor uses. I do check to see how my usage in a specific month compares with my usage from the previous year to make sure there are no anomalies indicating some kind of issue.

If you want to lower your utility bill there are ways to achieve that through various means.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 12:16 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
Washing machine
Dryer
Air conditioning
Heating
Phone charging
Hot water
Other rechargeable devices

Do you switch the light off when you leave the room? I was taught to do that as soon as I was old enough to reach the light switch, and it normally came in the same sentence as 'electricity bill'.

Sometimes the smaller things that you don't really think about accumulate enough to make the difference.

My father would ask if I owned stock in Con Ed

Installing motion detection lights in the bathroom is really helpful as many people forget to turn off lights. You can override them for Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries