Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Commuting kids one hourto school

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 2:21 am
We are one of the first families starting a new community. There is a group of 20 families moving
45 minutes away in order to build houses which are a lot cheaper than the main area. During Rush hour the commute will be around 1 hour.

I would love to hear tips on how others do this and make it work. do you avoid rush hour and bring the kids home or late? what do you do about breakfast etc.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 2:57 am
Story tapes!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 5:12 am
My daughter spends an hour on the bus daily. Each way. We live "locally".

Many kids bring a sandwich to eat on the bus.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 5:18 am
I would do it if it was an hour max, not an hour on average and sometimes an hour twenty. My kids currently commute 40-50 minutes depending on traffic. The older kids handle it well. The younger ones find it harder and sometimes fall asleep on the way home.

amother
Dahlia  

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 6:46 am
I’d say it depends on kids age. I wouldn’t do that to my 5 or 6 year old.

I commuted around 1hr 20m to school each way for high school (or longer with traffic). I was in a carpool with 3 other girls and it was fine. I liked the down time to have time before school to either relax, eat breakfast or study before a big test, and I liked to do homework on the way home so I had a free night by the time I got back.

Having an iPod full of music helps, as does a tablet with videos. Make sure there are always snacks and drinks in the car. If the car is uncomfortable (ie not clean) it makes a big difference as well.

Also if you will be driving, you have to think for yourself if you can really commit to it. They have an hour commute with a big break in between coming and going, but are you going home after? That’s 4 hours of driving for you daily, just for school drop off and pick up. That’s a lot and you will get burnt out VERY quickly. The carpool I was in for high school was by a man who worked in the area of my school, otherwise I don’t think it would have worked out truthfully.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 6:50 am
We live a 5 minute drive from the school, and my kids are on the bus 50 minutes.... local traffic is horrid.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 7:03 am
Would it be possible to have a carpool that cuts the time so it's less than many stops on the bus.
My 5 year old is technically only 15 minutes away from school- but not in the same area as most kids. So his commute would be much more like an hr on the bus. So I changed my schedule to drop and pick him up. I know thats not always possible. But just a thought

STMommy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 7:09 am
My kids do it by bus. Some tips:
1. Breakfast on the bus
2. MP3 player with Jewish music
3. Activities for the ride like mad libs, invisible ink books

amother
  Dahlia

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 7:10 am
amother Almond wrote:
Would it be possible to have a carpool that cuts the time so it's less than many stops on the bus.
My 5 year old is technically only 15 minutes away from school- but not in the same area as most kids. So his commute would be much more like an hr on the bus. So I changed my schedule to drop and pick him up. I know thats not always possible. But just a thought

I was under the impression there is no bus and OP would be doing the driving since it’s a school 45min away without any traffic (closer to an hour during traffic)

OP can you clarify? That makes a difference

elisheva25

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 7:12 am
That’s a crazy commute for elementary school child, their day is long enough as it is
Hs yes, elementary no

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 7:14 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
My daughter spends an hour on the bus daily. Each way. We live "locally".

Many kids bring a sandwich to eat on the bus.

Same, we live in central community in Jackson. 20 minute drive to my boys school, and an hour on the bus. One of their drivers puts on a story tape

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:17 am
I did this from grades 1-12

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:26 am
In bigger communities kids can easily be on the bus for an hour with pickups and drop offs. Are you talking about carpooling and they'll be in the car for maximum an hour or a bus ride with pickups which makes it more like an hour and a half. Those are 2 very different numbers.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:34 am
amother OP wrote:
We are one of the first families starting a new community. There is a group of 20 families moving
45 minutes away in order to build houses which are a lot cheaper than the main area. During Rush hour the commute will be around 1 hour.

I would love to hear tips on how others do this and make it work. do you avoid rush hour and bring the kids home or late? what do you do about breakfast etc.

I have one kid who takes the train to school, two who I drive, and one who is in a carpool.
The one on the train is 16 and has his phone with him to keep him occupied. If he goes on time, there is breakfast in Yeshiva. If he doesn’t, I guess he takes breakfast at home before going. Im not usually home when he leave, so I’m not sure.
The who I drive- one is 20 minutes away, and one is 45 without traffic, but there’s always traffic. They both have breakfast in school after davening. As it is, the one who is further away is always late to school, usually by about half an hour. She misses some or all of davening, but is usually there for breakfast. She gets ubered either part or all of the way home. Getting there earlier isn’t an option, and taking her late isn’t an option because then she will miss actual class.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating