Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Will more girls stay in us
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 8:11 am
Next year because of the current matzav?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 8:40 am
I've definitely heard from parents of seniors who wish seminary applications would be delayed more and are finding it hard to make a decision now.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 8:40 am
They should make more local options.

keym

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:43 am
It's a problem that even with the 2/3 places opened in the past few years, there is very little stateside.

The few places that are open are great, but there really is not enough slots and also not enough variety.
My daughter has many friends who are feeling personally compelled to go to EY because there just isn't a local option that's appropriate for them- between level of academics, type of girl, level of frunkeit, etc. Many girls can't fit in the local places

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:50 am
keym wrote:
It's a problem that even with the 2/3 places opened in the past few years, there is very little stateside.

The few places that are open are great, but there really is not enough slots and also not enough variety.
My daughter has many friends who are feeling personally compelled to go to EY because there just isn't a local option that's appropriate for them- between level of academics, type of girl, level of frunkeit, etc. Many girls can't fit in the local places

My daughter found it easier to go to a local place then away, because even if it's not a perfect fit, she was home....
Back when my oldest was a high school senior, not many girls from her high school went to Bnos Chaim Seminary in Lakewood (most girls actually went to EY) but a few of them decided to band together and go. They had a fantastic year and really gained alot, even though at the time it was a little bit to the right for them.

But if you are far away from home and the seminary isn't a great fit, it's much harder. I've heard from so many girls/women over the years that they didn't love seminary abroad, and it was such a huge expenditure for their parents, some of them feel it's a shame. This actually played a role in our decision to keep our daughters home (they weren't gung-ho on going in the first place).

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:56 am
I don't think more girls will stay home. Everyone said that would happen by covid and it didn't

The seminaries have us wrapped around their fingers

Even if a small number of girls decide not to go, it won't be significant enough to make a difference in seminary enrollment in Israel

And yes the lack of enough options here compounds the issue

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:57 am
keym wrote:

Where are the "gaps" in the current offerings and what niche needs to be filled - more/less academic, more/less yeshivish, etc.?

keym

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:08 am
amother Smokey wrote:
Where are the "gaps" in the current offerings and what niche needs to be filled - more/less academic, more/less yeshivish, etc.?

High academic/less yeshivish
Low academic/less yeshivish

Average academics/mixed crowd/dorm experience

A lot of medium academics/all crowds- or places where the academics are available but there's less pressure.

I mean do the math.

There are 4 real places in Lakewood (Migdal, Kerem, Bnos Chaim, Lakewood Teachers Seminary)3 that girls realistically consider in Brooklyn (intensive, half day, Assaf)and 1 in Toronto.

That's very little variety and options for the average BY girl. Definitely compared to the dozens of Israeli places that each have a slightly different feel.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Next year because of the current matzav?

Don't think so. Vast majority of girls who came home, went back already. And only a small percentage overall came home.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:35 am
keym wrote:
High academic/less yeshivish
Low academic/less yeshivish

Average academics/mixed crowd/dorm experience

A lot of medium academics/all crowds- or places where the academics are available but there's less pressure.

I mean do the math.

There are 4 real places in Lakewood (Migdal, Kerem, Bnos Chaim, Lakewood Teachers Seminary)3 that girls realistically consider in Brooklyn (intensive, half day, Assaf)and 1 in Toronto.

That's very little variety and options for the average BY girl. Definitely compared to the dozens of Israeli places that each have a slightly different feel.

There are at least two more in Brooklyn - Bnos Bina and forgot the name, around ave N-O and low easts

scruffy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:37 am
amother Quince wrote:
There are at least two more in Brooklyn - Bnos Bina and forgot the name, around ave N-O and low easts

Nitzotz?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 10:37 am
I asked my neighbor who has a 12th grader and her daughter who was standing with us said no one plans to stay in the US.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 11:01 am
Interesting. My brother really wants his Daughter not to go to ey but since they are not in town she is finding it hard to find a good fit. Can someone give an overview of the different north American sems that would work for a dormer

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 11:06 am
scruffy wrote:
Nitzotz?

Right

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 11:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting. My brother really wants his Daughter not to go to ey but since they are not in town she is finding it hard to find a good fit. Can someone give an overview of the different north American sems that would work for a dormer

I think the availability of seminaries with nice dorms is another gap.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 11:55 am
Ive actually heard of more people considering not going to sem in EY, and just starting college courses here with night shiurim or whatever.
They were talking of going to EY for a trip in the summer

keym

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 11:57 am
Chayalle wrote:
I think the availability of seminaries with nice dorms is another gap.

Particularly dorms open over the weekend like in EY.
If I am from OOT, and I don't really have family in the tristate area, sending to any of those tristate seminaries is not really an option. What's my daughter going to do every Shabbos and Sunday?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:18 pm
The principal of my DD's school spoke to the parents and told us that he knows money is very tight for a lot of us and the situation is scary but he really really thinks we should try to send our girls to seminary in Israel. He has seen so much growth that it gives the girls.
FWIW.

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Ive actually heard of more people considering not going to sem in EY, and just starting college courses here with night shiurim or whatever.
They were talking of going to EY for a trip in the summer

I decided to do this for my 2nd daughter (obviously with her input) based on other factors- money mostly. EY sem was very nice for my oldest, but I couldn’t afford it and she didn’t like it enough to be worth the expense.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 3:57 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
The principal of my DD's school spoke to the parents and told us that he knows money is very tight for a lot of us and the situation is scary but he really really thinks we should try to send our girls to seminary in Israel. He has seen so much growth that it gives the girls.
FWIW.

Maybe this is true for some. I haven't seen that girls I know who went to EY for seminary are more mature than my girls who stayed home. And I think the price tag and pressure on parents is beyond....

ETA to be honest, it upsets me to hear that principals put this kind of pressure on parents. I think it's inappropriate.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info