Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What are you getting for Chanukah?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:13 pm
If you buy yourself a present or someone else buys you one, what are you getting? How do you know what you want?

Also, are you getting dh a present? If so, what?

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:20 pm
I’m not sure what my I’m getting yet, it’s a surprise

My wish list:

Wine glasses
Towel warmer
Ice maker
Coffee maker
iPhone case
Water bottle
Chocolate
Suitcase
Video games
Spa certificates

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:23 pm
ill get myself a piece of jewelry (cz) for under $30

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:23 pm
I'm supposed to get a new light fixture for the kitchen but I need to choose it and I'm terrible at that and barely have time so I'm not sure how it's going to happen. I'd better hurry though because dh said it's for Chanukah and if he decides he needs to do it himself because I'm too slow, I'll probably hate it.

I've hated the kitchen light for a very long time to the point that everyone knows it, so this is a very on target gift.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:25 pm
For dh so far I got him a quick phone charger so he can stop "borrowing" mine. His birthday is not long after Chanukah so maybe I'll think of something better by then.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:27 pm
I finally got myself a Nespresso machine!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:41 pm
No. We don't believe in Chanuka gifts. We give kids Chanuka gelt so theoretically they can have the means to learn Torah. Chanuka is not Xmas's Jewish stepsister.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:42 pm
Refill for my scentify
Shoe organizer for bottom of closet (I'm not sure I need it lol. Dh said I do)
Surprise from dh. He decided to tell me yesterday that he got something but I shouldn't be upset how much he spent. It's not big ticket item like jewelry so I'm quite curious.

Dh is getting a new personalized phone case from Ali express and a vacuum cleaner for the car.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:49 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
No. We don't believe in Chanuka gifts. We give kids Chanuka gelt so theoretically they can have the means to learn Torah. Chanuka is not Xmas's Jewish stepsister.

Giving gifts is essentially the same idea as giving gelt. And we aren’t trying to celebrate Xmas, it has nothing to do with that.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:21 pm
Got myself a custom closet for the master bedroom. Install is happening over chanukah so I'm very excited. DH got me jewelry (I think it was 2 necklaces from my wish list). I keep a wish list of things I'd like from $5-$25k and things will periodically come as presents from my hubby or the kids.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:13 pm
Organizing bins and stuff

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:15 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
I finally got myself a Nespresso machine!

Lol me too!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:32 pm
amother Magenta wrote:

Thank you. Same.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:52 pm
I usually don’t get myself anything but dh wanted us to have matching moose knuckle sweatshirts so that’s what I got

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:44 pm
I bought myself a vacuum robot. Been thinking of it for years. Got it black Friday at half off. Huge expense but I never buy myself anything fancy and this was for my mental health. Seriously. I couldn't cope with having to sweep because life is too crazy now.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 9:58 pm
A pocketbook

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 10:18 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Giving gifts is essentially the same idea as giving gelt. And we aren’t trying to celebrate Xmas, it has nothing to do with that.

It started from this idea. Our grandparents never got any gifts but they did get chanukah gelt so essentially it is Xmas stepsister.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 10:55 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
It started from this idea. Our grandparents never got any gifts but they did get chanukah gelt so essentially it is Xmas stepsister.

This is not true. My Hungarian grandmother said that before the Holocaust she and her siblings received gifts from their parents every Chanukah. And they were considered a very chashuv family.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:29 am
I've got myself a new book. It's already waiting on the shelf. The other half of my present is the family giving me time to read it, undisturbed!

ray family

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:36 am
Nothing
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics