Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Recipe for spelt challah with wonder mills white spelt 5 ilb
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:37 am
Total newbie always make challah with regular flour. Anyone have a no fail amazing recipe for this bag of flour? I also only have dry instant yeast not fresh…. Thanks in advance!
Back to top

amother
Crimson


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:52 am
I used this flour for the first time last week, and used my regular recipe. The consistency was very similar, but felt the dough was lighter. It was delicious and no one noticed the difference.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:53 am
amother Crimson wrote:
I used this flour for the first time last week, and used my regular recipe. The consistency was very similar, but felt the dough was lighter. It was delicious and no one noticed the difference.


Thanks so much would you mind posting your recipe. Also do you use a Bosch? I do. Would that make a difference?
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:54 am
Check out chezchaya.com. I use her recipe with white spelt. It's DELICIOUS!
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:56 am
tweety1 wrote:
Check out chezchaya.com. I use her recipe with white spelt. It's DELICIOUS!

thanks but I think her recipe calls for fresh yeast..
Back to top

amother
Crimson


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:02 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much would you mind posting your recipe. Also do you use a Bosch? I do. Would that make a difference?


I use the same recipe as poster below with dry yeast and a Bosch.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:07 am
thanks! im seeing it calls for seltzer I dont have, shoot..
Back to top

amother
Vanilla


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:08 am
I make this recipe and it always comes out DELICIOUS!! almost taste like regular Challah.

5 pounds white spelt flour
3 eggs separated (use only egg whites)
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup oil
1 (or 1 &1/2) cup honey
3 oz fresh yeast
3 Cups seltzer (soda water)
1 cup hot water

I mix in separate bowl the seltzer, water, yeast and some honey and then I add it to the flour salt eggs oil and the rest of honey.

Let rise, braid and let rise again. Put in oven on 400 for 20 to 25 minutes
Back to top

amother
Bottlebrush


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:50 am
I have an amazing egg free spelt recipe.
Everyone who taste it takes the recipe and passes it around
2 kilo flour - regular or spelt
2 TBS salt
2 cups sugar - I do about 1.5
4 TBS dry yeast
1 liter warm water
1 cup oil- I use approx 2/3 cup

At the bottom of the bowl add salt then the flour on top make a ditch for the sugar and yeast on top.
At the water and wait for the yeast to bubble. Add half the amount of oil then knead when nearly fully kneaded at the rest of the oil and knead it in the best you can.
Rise the dough. Plaid the challahs and rise for 30 to 60 mins. Egg and sesame if you want.
Bake on 170 until the color is golden or brown to your liking.

I make it both with spelt and regular. No one can tell the difference.
Posting anonymously as too many people have taken the recipe from me.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:03 am
ok I just used the chez chaya recipe but used water instead of seltzer. hope it doesn't flop. its been 30 min and the dough hasn't risen just spread. yikes.
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:06 am
amother OP wrote:
thanks but I think her recipe calls for fresh yeast..

Check it out. It does not.
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:09 am
amother OP wrote:
ok I just used the chez chaya recipe but used water instead of seltzer. hope it doesn't flop. its been 30 min and the dough hasn't risen just spread. yikes.

Yikes! Her challah is by far the best. I used to make it with 6 lbs regular and switched to 6 lbs white spelt. I see no difference either way. I even often use fresh yeast.
Back to top

amother
Antiquewhite


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:34 am
tweety1 wrote:
Yikes! Her challah is by far the best. I used to make it with 6 lbs regular and switched to 6 lbs white spelt. I see no difference either way. I even often use fresh yeast.



how many challos does it make?

can you really use spelt?

I thought adjustments need to be made?


does it need so much sugar and honey?


why can sourdough be made without sugar?
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 11:43 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
how many challos does it make?

can you really use spelt?

I thought adjustments need to be made?


does it need so much sugar and honey?


why can sourdough be made without sugar?

If I really use spelt? Yes. I really only have white spelt flour in my pantry. For a few years already. I even use it for cakes and cookies. I never make any adjustments and I never see a difference. Occasionally for cookies I can see a texture difference but not very often at all.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 2:34 pm
Update the challahs came out yummy (I made a roll and tasted) but the dough was so so ridiculously sticky. Also like almost shapeless. I braided but the braids kind of came out when they rose and baked. They lol like odd loaves of bread lol. Wonder what I did wrong
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Update the challahs came out yummy (I made a roll and tasted) but the dough was so so ridiculously sticky. Also like almost shapeless. I braided but the braids kind of came out when they rose and baked. They lol like odd loaves of bread lol. Wonder what I did wrong

You definitely did something wrong. The dough may be a drop sticky but I never have a hard time to work with it.
Back to top

amother
SandyBrown


 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
I make this recipe and it always comes out DELICIOUS!! almost taste like regular Challah.

5 pounds white spelt flour
3 eggs separated (use only egg whites)
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup oil
1 (or 1 &1/2) cup honey
3 oz fresh yeast
3 Cups seltzer (soda water)
1 cup hot water

I mix in separate bowl the seltzer, water, yeast and some honey and then I add it to the flour salt eggs oil and the rest of honey.

Let rise, braid and let rise again. Put in oven on 400 for 20 to 25 minutes


Can this be done by hand?
Back to top

coffee icecream




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:29 pm
tweety1 wrote:
You definitely did something wrong. The dough may be a drop sticky but I never have a hard time to work with it.


Do you let it rise out or in the fridge?
Back to top

coffee icecream




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:30 pm
For baking the challah what pans do people use?
Do you like it with parchment?
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
    
 

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 4:21 am
coffee icecream wrote:
Do you let it rise out or in the fridge?

Never. I put my oven on and put the bowl in top if the oven
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection

Related Topics Replies Last Post
White Orchid closing down permanently!!!!
by amother
12 Today at 1:37 pm View last post
Old Recipe for salad w Mandarin Oranges
by nanny
8 Today at 1:08 pm View last post
by JLi
[ Poll ] Dressing boys and black and white
by amother
11 Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:18 pm View last post
ISO Homemade bread/rolls recipe
by amother
2 Thu, Feb 22 2024, 4:20 pm View last post
Overnight lukshen kugel from circle magazine ..need recipe 5 Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:40 pm View last post