Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Family of 8 - How much do you spend on food?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 9:46 pm
Wondering if I'm budgeting within normal range for food expenses. My six children are ages 14-2. Not including takeout or restaurants, which we get on rare occasions, we spend about $1300 a month. This is with shopping in 2 or 3 grocery stores a week to make the most of specials. I would love to hear how this compares to other families.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 9:50 pm
In my book you're doing great. We're a fam of 4---- 2 adults, 2 teens, and we spend between $300 and $350 a week. You've got 4 more children than I do. Granted mine are huge eaters but still.

small bean

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 9:52 pm
We do about the same.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 9:55 pm
We’re a family of 7 in bp and spend roughly 2500-3000 a month on all grocery items. It’s not normal how much things cost

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:01 pm
I think this is very good. We're a family of 6. Kids aren't big eaters and they get lunch in school and we still spend as much as you. We do have lots of guests on shabbos. Shabbos costs me the most.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:06 pm
We spend double that for family half the size.

rachelli18

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:09 pm
Thanks for all the responses, my budget went up a lot recently and was wondering if I'm buying more, or if it's mainly inflation. I live in Lakewood, some of the stores do have better prices on things here. (For example, Gourmet Glatt's specials are better here than in other locations.)

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:22 pm
Omg how do you do it.
Family of 9 and we spend minimum $2500-3500

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:23 pm
We spend a lot more with less kids. I think you’re doing great.

We host a lot on shabbos. That adds up to insane amounts

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:28 pm
10 people $2400
How are you spending so little? Do you keep pas and cholov yisroel?

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:53 pm
We are a family of 5 (kids are under 8 years old) and we spend around that much on food only (not sure if you are counting paper goods or other non food items). We do not keep cholov Yisroel and rarely host for Shabbat (mainly because it is such an expense).

So you are doing quite well for your family size.

lucky14

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:56 pm
rachelli18 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, my budget went up a lot recently and was wondering if I'm buying more, or if it's mainly inflation. I live in Lakewood, some of the stores do have better prices on things here. (For example, Gourmet Glatt's specials are better here than in other locations.)

It’s inflation. I’m buying very few splurge items and have switched to generic brands when I can and I’m still paying way more every month. It’s crazy. It really has gone up so much. I have looked at the prices of many individual items now vs two years ago and it makes me so anxious to see the difference.

ima_bima

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 11:15 pm
1000 nis per week for a family of 8 in EY.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 11:20 pm
2k month family of 4, 2 are toddlers
Yes dh eats tonz, and prepares lavish breakfast and lunches every day
We also host every week shabbos
Shabbos orders itself are about 350/400 depending on how much guest

mra01385

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 11:33 pm
We spend about $150 every week for groceries for a family of 4. My 2 teens eat lunch in school and my hs son eats most suppers in school too. No big eaters in my house besides my dh.
For those that spend for shabbos and their guests HaShem pays it all back so no worries for that. It’s a mitzvah to spend money in honor of shabbos.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 2:14 am
It varies per month. 8 people, kids 11 to 1, spent under $1200 this month including a case of chicken I expect to last a few months and a lot of bread that should also last at least two months (freezer).

We buy most food at walmart, and don't vary the menu much. Breakfast, lunch, snack are the same every day. If I bought more normally it would be closer to $2000.

Pre-inflation this would have cost under $1000.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 7:50 am
We have a similar family composition and I think spend a little more than you. I can't give an exact number because we do things like stock up on meat a few months worth at a time, plus if cereal or the like is on sale on Amazon I buy it there and it gets rolled into my Amazon CC instead of supermarket. So not including meat I think it's a little less than you but then if I average out the meat over the time it's for sure at least a little more than you. And yes inflation has been a beast.

ETA kids get lunch in school, if you add that to the grocery bill it's probably another $500 or so and worth every penny because making lunches was a huge stress when I didn't sign up for school food.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:37 am
Fam of 7. Spend about $700 a week including some dry goods.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:38 am
amother Rose wrote:
Fam of 7. Spend about $700 a week including some dry goods.

This is me. Including dry good, food, takeout - I spend a little under 3k a month.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:32 pm
We are a family of 7. 6 eaters.

I'm not counting formula, paper goods, or any non food kitchen items. Also not counting any slurpees or coffee splurged once in a while.

We spend about 250-300 a week. On average, a thousand a month. More yom tov time.

We are really careful and don't eat large portions of meat/fish for meals.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics