Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Research on moving OOT
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 9:25 am
My husband and I are both in chinuch and originally from NY/NJ area. We are looking for an out of town community not more than a 5-6 hour drive from NY/NJ area. We are looking specifically for a low cost of living community (houses not more than 250k-350k) that is very welcoming and has both mainstream schooling and special educational programs as well. Thank you for your help!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 9:26 am
Baltimore

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 9:39 am
Waterbury is close enough and within your budget, but I don't know about the special ed programs there. Scranton is also within your budget, but I'd be shocked if they have special ed. NE Philly is also worth looking into.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 9:48 am
amother Pink wrote:
Baltimore
Hard to find a house for 250-350 in Baltimore these days, but if you don't mind neighborhoods near the hood or a small semi, you can do it.

mha3484

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 9:49 am
Also what kind of special ed do you need?

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 9:49 am
amother Maize wrote:
Hard to find a house for 250-350 in Baltimore these days, but if you don't mind neighborhoods near the hood or a small semi, you can do it.

Not just hard. Very hard. Even the niehgborhood at TA houses are over $400k now.
ONly possibility is Bancroft near reisterstiown area and maybe that end of Glen or Menlo too.
Basically not very nice neighrborhoodds, and often small small houses.

finprof

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 10:28 am
Philly Jewish schools have a program called OROT for special education.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 10:40 am
Rochester?
Not sure about Jewish options but it’s NY state do they likely have good special Ed options.
Nothing in Baltimore for that little $$

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 10:50 am
mha3484 wrote:
Also what kind of special ed do you need?

One of us teaches in special ed. We don't need for our kids but for career options beH.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:07 am
Pittsburgh?

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:
One of us teaches in special ed. We don't need for our kids but for career options beH.

Would u be open to working in public school? I think 400k is the new 250k btw just to be realistic.

Look into Philly or Baltimore

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
My husband and I are both in chinuch and originally from NY/NJ area. We are looking for an out of town community not more than a 5-6 hour drive from NY/NJ area. We are looking specifically for a low cost of living community (houses not more than 250k-350k) that is very welcoming and has both mainstream schooling and special educational programs as well. Thank you for your help!

Waterbury has houses in your budget.

There distance from NY/NJ is around 2 hours- which is closer than distance from Baltimore.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:31 am
Cleveland?

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:32 am
amother Maize wrote:
Cleveland?

Too far
7-8 hrs

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:36 am
Second Rochester, it's NY state which means generous budget for SE and housing is gorgeous in that price range (probably closer to 350 though)

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 11:45 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
Rochester?
Not sure about Jewish options but it’s NY state do they likely have good special Ed options.

Really you must do your research, just because a school is in NYS doesn't mean the special education options can meet your needs. We have no idea if it's shayach at all.

OP, you didn't share detail about your special education needs, maybe it would be helpful if you provided some more information?

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:04 pm
NE Philly sounds perfect for you.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:08 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Would u be open to working in public school? I think 400k is the new 250k btw just to be realistic.

Look into Philly or Baltimore

Outside of the NY/NJ area, special ed in frum schools doesn't pay as well, so a public school job is a good suggestion.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:11 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
Really you must do your research, just because a school is in NYS doesn't mean the special education options can meet your needs. We have no idea if it's shayach at all.

OP, you didn't share detail about your special education needs, maybe it would be helpful if you provided some more information?

I think you missed the post where she said they need special ed JOBS.

OP if you are open to working for the public schools, there are definitely many opportunities in Rochester. There are other options as well but Rochester City School District is one of the largest employers in the region.

Feel free to PM me for info about Rochester 😁

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:46 pm
Waterbury is the only place mentioned here that's within your buying and driving ranges.

CT is cracking down on sped and the districts are desperate. You can work in a really nice district within a short drive of Waterbury. Or you can work in the day school, they're expanding their resource room.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating