Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
BJJ
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 4:39 pm
Is anyone applying to BJJ this year? We're looking at Nishmas, but BJJ was also recommended for my daughter. We heard it's not so popular anymore. Would there be a reason we should consider it, now that Rebbetzin David A"h is not there anymore, and what with the events this year?

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 4:41 pm
How do the events this year (if I'm thinking of the correct incident) reflect on BJJ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 4:44 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
How do the events this year (if I'm thinking of the correct incident) reflect on BJJ?

I don't think it reflects on BJJ at all, but these trends are not always logical.

I really just want to know if people are applying and if there's a reason we should consider it over other smaller seminaries.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 4:44 pm
It’s still a great seminary. But some families who always sent to BJJ (due to Rebb David) no longer feel the need to send there specifically. Which is probably a good thing for you bec easier to get in.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 5:39 pm
Would there be a reason to consider it over, let's say, a seminary like Nishmas?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 5:40 pm
Honestly BJJ offers an entirely different product than the other seminaries.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 5:42 pm
amother Brunette wrote:

I agree. I'm sure plenty of people will be applying.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 5:47 pm
I went to BJJ (though almost 15 years ago). Of course Reb. David a’h was a huge part of our seminary experience, but definitely not all. I’m sure it’s still an excellent place. I think it offers something really unique and special.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I went to BJJ (though almost 15 years ago). Of course Reb. David a’h was a huge part of our seminary experience, but definitely not all. I’m sure it’s still an excellent place. I think it offers something really unique and special.

And I disagree (closer to 30 years ago). BJJ without Rebbetzin David would not be anything more than any other seminary.

(Giveret Leibowitz's classes were also pretty awesome.)

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 6:57 pm
amother Brunette wrote:

what's the "entirely different product" that BJJ offers over other seminaries?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 7:13 pm
amother Brass wrote:

Hard to articulate and don’t want to make this a seminary competition. There is a maturity to the education and process there. It is very much not “thirteenth grade.” The thought process that permeates there, the sechel… it is unique. Which is not to say that other seminaries aren’t wonderful! But it’s different.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 7:16 pm
amother Brass wrote:

IMO it is the very unique derech of Rav Hunter ztzl. It is applied across the entire seminary experience, and was not limited to any teacher or class. Although obviously Rebbetzin David ah gave it over most directly. I am certain that the seminary will not be the same without her, but I'm also certain that this derech will be upheld as long as the seminary is around.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 7:19 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
Hard to articulate and don’t want to make this a seminary competition. There is a maturity to the education and process there. It is very much not “thirteenth grade.” The thought process that permeates there, the sechel… it is unique. Which is not to say that other seminaries aren’t wonderful! But it’s different.

How would you know that (the process is so different than any other seminaries) unless you've personally gone to more than one seminary and have a basis of comparison? (I've only been to one seminary so can only comment on that one and it definitely was NOT "thirteenth grade". Nor was it BJJ)

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 1:41 am
Chayalle wrote:
And I disagree (closer to 30 years ago). BJJ without Rebbetzin David would not be anything more than any other seminary.

Of course she was a huge influence and the contributing factor to much of it. Maybe I’m just hopeful that her influence hasn’t left the rest of the staff? I did gain a lot from Giveret Leibowitz, as well.

In response to the other poster - BJJ really felt unique in that we were receiving an “old school” education. It felt like the chinuch and hashkafos straight from previous generations. Which it was, as Reb. David was probably around 70 when she taught me. I don’t know how much of this uniqueness is left, but hopefully some.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 9:50 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
IMO it is the very unique derech of Rav Hunter ztzl. It is applied across the entire seminary experience, and was not limited to any teacher or class. Although obviously Rebbetzin David ah gave it over most directly. I am certain that the seminary will not be the same without her, but I'm also certain that this derech will be upheld as long as the seminary is around.

I am more skeptical I guess. I don't even think it's been the same in recent years as it was when I was there. (one reason being, Rebbetzin David never wanted it to grow to the size it became, and I think for good reason. I also think the demographic/type has changed. And now with Rebbetzin David not there, I don't think of it as the same seminary at all. I've spoken to friends from my era who think the same way....)

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 9:58 am
Chayalle wrote:
I am more skeptical I guess. I don't even think it's been the same in recent years as it was when I was there. (one reason being, Rebbetzin David never wanted it to grow to the size it became, and I think for good reason. I also think the demographic/type has changed. And now with Rebbetzin David not there, I don't think of it as the same seminary at all. I've spoken to friends from my era who think the same way....)

It's possible. I do know that my neighbor who went within the last few years seemed to come home with the same hashkafos that I did 20 years ago.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 10:12 am
Chayalle wrote:

I went to BJJ probably the same time frame as you. I thought, and still think, it was overrated. And coming from BY of Monsey, I was in all the highest level classes. There were some wonderful teachers there. We learned from Rav Ganz and a teimani rabbi whose name I no longer recall. The dikduk teacher was amazing. But most of the teachers who inspired me were not Rebbetzin David or Gev. Leibowitz. Just felt so rote, so didactic. I just felt that there was the "perfect BJJ" clone that they wanted me to be. I never felt like there was any individualized instruction. It wasn't some mystical place with all these incredible teaching. I think there's a lot of elitism that feeds into it and its not something I liked or was proud of. I met some really great girls there and had lots of fun on trips. But I think most seminaries are inherently the same. You just have to find your type where your daughter will find friends. To me, BJJ would be an equal contender to any other place if you want very very frum girls and rigorous academic standards.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 10:36 am
Personally, I loved Giveret Farber a"h and Giveret Plitnik (lihavdil Ben hachaim limeisim). And Aim Bayit she rocks!

I didn't really enjoy the academics of BJJ but I made so many amazing friends that changed me for the good. I also spent my year falling in love with the country. (I was zoche to make aliya right after my wedding.)

I was there around 15 years ago.

I have a feeling BJJ will become like Brisk. They'll learn the Torah of Reb. David/R' Hutner zt"l but not from the source.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 11:21 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I went to BJJ probably the same time frame as you. I thought, and still think, it was overrated. And coming from BY of Monsey, I was in all the highest level classes. There were some wonderful teachers there. We learned from Rav Ganz and a teimani rabbi whose name I no longer recall. The dikduk teacher was amazing. But most of the teachers who inspired me were not Rebbetzin David or Gev. Leibowitz. Just felt so rote, so didactic. I just felt that there was the "perfect BJJ" clone that they wanted me to be. I never felt like there was any individualized instruction. It wasn't some mystical place with all these incredible teaching. I think there's a lot of elitism that feeds into it and its not something I liked or was proud of. I met some really great girls there and had lots of fun on trips. But I think most seminaries are inherently the same. You just have to find your type where your daughter will find friends. To me, BJJ would be an equal contender to any other place if you want very very frum girls and rigorous academic standards.

So interesting how everyone's experience was different. I didn't feel like I was or became or had to be any perfect specific type. I had lots of conversations with Rebbetzin David, and to me she was a very unique individual. Beyond that, I don't think all the other classes were different than very good classes in any other seminary. Though I do remember Rav Nadav's class and yes, it inspired me (I still remember his explanation of how Nes is a disruption of Teva, to show that Hashem is behind everything...)
I agree with you about the elitism. I often think I chose to send my DD's to Lakewood's community schools in order to avoid that.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 11:22 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
It's possible. I do know that my neighbor who went within the last few years seemed to come home with the same hashkafos that I did 20 years ago.

Perhaps, but not the same experience.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info