Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o thinking your in a better financial state than most
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:07 pm
That op got me thinking. Many people probably think their doing better or worse than people just cuz we pashut don't know anyone's salaries! If you think your in a better financial state than most. How much do you make and how old are you?

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:13 pm
I am 30 and my husband and I have a rule that we don’t discuss our peers’ finances.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:14 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
I am 30 and my husband and I have a rule that we don’t discuss our peers’ finances.

I agree with you. But then again how could you discuss it if you don't actually know? There's no way to discuss it.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:15 pm
I know we make more than the average couple , you see how people talk, spend. With that I know I make more and save more than other people .

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:15 pm
Sorry to divert your thread for a second, but to me, a person is financially stable if they are doing it on their own. If they need family members to pay their mortgage etc.. (in other words, ongoing help), then they are not stable because that money could be cut off at any time.
Also the smugness of that OP really rubbed me the wrong way. You are not better than other people because someone gave you money!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:17 pm
I’m 28 and know I’m in better state than most people. My husband and I make 500k combined. I know most people dont make that much especially at our ages. We’re in the top wealth percentage of USA. And I will not be responding to what we do.
And no we don’t come from money.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:19 pm
I’m financially stable and I together we earn around 13k/ month after maaser and tax. We have 1 child.

FYI- most people would think I’m rich when they hear this. I’m not. The cost of living is insane, where I live. I am convinced that I earn a bit more than many of my friends

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:22 pm
amother Beige wrote:
I’m 28 and know I’m in better state than most people. My husband and I make 500k combined. I know most people dont make that much especially at our ages. We’re in the top wealth percentage of USA. And I will not be responding to what we do.
And no we don’t come from money.

Wow good for you! If you don't mind me asking, are you able to save most?

Genius

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:23 pm
Which thread is this referencing? I’m stam curious.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:25 pm
Genius wrote:
Which thread is this referencing? I’m stam curious.

Not sure how to link but it's called 'help me figure out what to do' in working women

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:36 pm
27yo earning a little over 100k salary
I don't think I'm doing so well that it's newsworthy, just higher than average for a young kollel mother

Genius

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:36 pm
That one took an interesting spin.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:44 pm
More than some and less than others. Bh happy and grateful where we are.

While I found her attitude unrelatable, I think that it’s hard to find a job that feels “enough” when you’re not desperate for money/ your family or investments or husband make enough to live comfortably. Like one can’t justify working for less than x amount if that doesn’t make even the smallest dent…

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 5:37 am
I am in my upper 40s, DH is 50.
We are doing better than the friends with whom we discuss finances.
We have close friends who are in our age bracket, they have more kids and a smaller house and the husband has discussed with DH how they can upgrade their home and then he figured out they can't. So I know the basics of their financial situation. We have a few other couples that we discuss general financial issues with, but otherwise we don't really know anyone else's financial situation.

We make combined $300k yearly.

ima_bima

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 9:09 am
In Israel if you want to know how much someone earns, you can just ask them straight out.

I don't ask because I'm not interested. Tbh I don't even know how much DH earns. I know we're very comfortable and I can allow myself to be home with the kids and not worry about finances. Other than that, I live very simply, even if we have money to splurge.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 9:30 am
ima_bima wrote:
In Israel if you want to know how much someone earns, you can just ask them straight out.

I don't ask because I'm not interested. Tbh I don't even know how much DH earns. I know we're very comfortable and I can allow myself to be home with the kids and not worry about finances. Other than that, I live very simply, even if we have money to splurge.

Hi must running very different circles than you because I do not know how much anyone makes and I live in Israel. Then again, I guess I never really asked but if somebody asked me, I would definitely keep my mouth shut. And I don’t think I would want to be friends with someone who had the guts to ask me how much money we make. It just seems very inappropriate in matter what country you live in maybe Israelis a different we’ve only been here for 15 years or so.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 9:31 am
Adding again, because I don’t feel like editing at the moment. How do you not know how much money your husband makes? We also are doing well, but I know almost exactly how much we have in the bank and in savings and where our investments are. It’s very important that you know all of that. Or at least have it written up somewhere or you could access it if you need it. Because God forbid if something happened, you wouldn’t want to be struggling to find where all that money is. I’m also a stay at home mom and quite comfortable. I would like to work this for my own satisfaction because my kids are big. But if something happened to my husband, God forbid I would really need to know we’re all that money is and I do. And I know exactly what comes in and it goes out although he’s in a business it’s not the same every single day, but we check in on a weekly basis to see what the income was.

ima_bima

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 10:11 am
amother Clover wrote:
Adding again, because I don’t feel like editing at the moment. How do you not know how much money your husband makes? We also are doing well, but I know almost exactly how much we have in the bank and in savings and where our investments are. It’s very important that you know all of that. Or at least have it written up somewhere or you could access it if you need it. Because God forbid if something happened, you wouldn’t want to be struggling to find where all that money is. I’m also a stay at home mom and quite comfortable. I would like to work this for my own satisfaction because my kids are big. But if something happened to my husband, God forbid I would really need to know we’re all that money is and I do. And I know exactly what comes in and it goes out although he’s in a business it’s not the same every single day, but we check in on a weekly basis to see what the income was.

We have a joint bank account. He pays all the bills and checks everything is in order. I trust him and he does a good job at managing our finances. I buy what I want when I want it. I grew up very wealthy and never had to worry about money. I don't plan ahead for DH's death CV"S but he does have life insurance and I also have a nice inheritance from my parents.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 10:27 am
DH is in kollel and handles all the finances.. I barely know how much I make Very Happy

between my job and DH kollel and a few side things we make around 85-90k?? very rough estimate.. cause like I said I literally have no idea. we have a financial advisor who works with my husband and me but I mostly stay out of it.

I know that I am better off than almost all my friends. a lot of people in my stage are receiving parental support and or government assistance which makes it hard to fully judge the situation.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 10:43 am
The other post was just so unrelatable, and her arrogance was kind of shocking for someone with zero education, skills, and work experience. Yes, I think I'm doing financially better than a lot of people, but I earned upwards of 900k this year. Not a lot of people make this kind of money, and I'm 39. The OP of that thread seemed like an entitled child who is living off her relatives. When she earns something of her own, she can be prideful and until then, good luck with all that borrowed arrogance...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics