Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pharmacy gave too little medicine *update *
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:31 am
My son is supposed to take for 10 days and I’m on day 8 and there’s nothing left. What should I do?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:32 am
Call The Doctor office

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:35 am
amother OP wrote:
My son is supposed to take for 10 days and I’m on day 8 and there’s nothing left. What should I do?

Did you definitely calculate it right? I once got it confused and thought too little but bc had to give at night and morning I was counting it weird.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:36 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
Did you definitely calculate it right? I once got it confused and thought too little but bc had to give at night and morning I was counting it weird.
yes definitely

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:37 am
I’m having that now bec a little bit spilled out. Let me know what happens.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:39 am
If it's a medicine that they make by mixing water into it, like liquid amoxicillin, then it's possible they put too little water, and therefore you are giving too high a dose every day.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:40 am
Call the pharmacy or doctors office.

sandyish

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:41 am
Call the pharmacy they will probably send you what you’re missing, without the need for a new prescription.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:10 am
Omg just realized that I was supposed to give once a day, not twice. Now what??

Dumbledore

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:12 am
amother OP wrote:

Call the dr

cnc

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:13 am
Call the doctor and ask them what to do.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:14 am
sandyish wrote:
Call the pharmacy they will probably send you what you’re missing, without the need for a new prescription.

I wouldn’t say that, they probably will want to involved the doctor

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:15 am
amother OP wrote:

You need to call the doctor and tell them you gave twice a day instead of once a day. The pharmacy cannot do anything. Also, be prepared to pay out of pocket. Insurance may not cover the mistake. I was an intern at a pharmacy and am in pharmacy school. Someone came in with that exact scenario, this is what happened.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:18 am
Interesting that you had enough for 8 days- I find that the 10 day dose usually only lasts 8 days even given correctly, my doctor either prescribes more or tells me if that’s enough.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:21 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
Interesting that you had enough for 8 days- I find that the 10 day dose usually only lasts 8 days even given correctly, my doctor either prescribes more or tells me if that’s enough.

Sounds like someone counted incorrectly lol. When I worked at the pharmacy I made sure to give what was asked.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:21 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
it was actually enough for 6 days. Today is day 7. Clearly my head isn’t on straight.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:42 am
FYI, pharmacies make plenty of mistakes in dosage and quantity or they ran out, gave you less but don't tell you and then you have to go back.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 12:09 pm
Did I hurt my son by giving him two doses a day?? I feel so terrible. I called the doctor and they only put ne through to a secretary who said the doc will send in a prescription for more but I couldn’t ask her if there are any ramifications of this mistake. Feeling so guilty Crying

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Did I hurt my son by giving him two doses a day?? I feel so terrible. I called the doctor and they only put ne through to a secretary who said the doc will send in a prescription for more but I couldn’t ask her if there are any ramifications of this mistake. Feeling so guilty Crying

Your son will be totally fine. If you’d like you can give him probiotics for a few weeks to help his gut bacteria. Culturelle makes good kids ones. Also, make sure to check with the doctor because he may not want you to give the antibiotics anymore.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 12:19 pm
Look, it happens. Life gets busy. You're not the first mother who has made a mistake like that. Now you know to be more careful. B"H it was just antibiotics, which are generally not long-acting, so your child should be fine.

A couple of thoughts, though.

First of all, watch out for any stomach issues your child may have. Antibiotics, even when given at a regular dosage, can wipe out the good bacteria in a child's stomach. Giving probiotics can help avoid this problem, but if you don't want to give them prophylactically, at least be on the lookout for any stomach issues.

Second of all, as your child's mother, it is important to advocate even when it feels awkward. That means that if you still feel uncomfortable with what happened, you can and should call the doctor's office again and ask to speak directly with the doctor about your questions. If you don't feel comfortable doing this with this doctor, please find a new office. It is important in the future to feel comfortable asking, no matter what the question, and to get past the feeling that you're "bothering" them. I found this to be one of the hardest parts of being a new mom (I'm not saying you're a new mom, just saying that that's when I learned this skill). It's hard to push for an answer when they're trying to shrug you off, but can you can politely and respectfully ask whatever questions you need. You should never feel that the doctor is too busy, or too hard to reach, so you can't ask your questions. If you do feel like that, ask around about a doctor who welcomes questions and is easy to reach when you need to.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics