Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Love the name yehoshua, but...
Previous  1  2

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've always liked the name yehoshua, especially with everything going on now, if I have a boy I'd like to give the name....
But everyone I know with the name yehoshua is extremely wild, know a few who aren't frum anymore, just not good refined boys...

Maybe I'm just weird but anyone relate to not liking a name because you know someone annoying/strange/bully/mentally ill etc with that name

I love the name yehoshua....please share with me if have a husband/son/brother/neighbor/nephew with the name who has good middos and good personality etc

Sorry if you think I'm being weird (I blame the hormones;) ....humor me pls

I know a few yehoshua/shua/shuie/yoshi…..all are wonderful people.
That being said, name association is a real thing. There are names that I like that I will absolutely never use because of other people I know with those names.

Tao

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:42 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
That being said, name association is a real thing. There are names that I like that I will absolutely never use because of other people I know with those names.

I'm the same way. I won't name a certain name that is considered very pretty because all the people I know with that name are high maintenance snobs. Also the person in tanach with this name had an exceptionally difficult life.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:43 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

What is the name Yoshi a nickname for?

Tao

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:45 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
What is the name Yoshi a nickname for?

It's that dinosaur from Super Mario LOL

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:10 pm
Mine is not an adult yet but he’s a bright boy with so much chein and a smile that melts you and everyone loves him. It’s a common name in our family and the teens and adults with that name are all good normal frum people as was the person he’s named after!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
So many just shared all the yehoshua in their life who are good fine boys and men...

I'm going to have in mind yehoshua from the Torah
I specifically like yehoshua because yehoshuas Hashem kheref ayin is good reminder

Just pointing out- it’s ישועת ה ״” not “יהושע”
It’s not the same thing, the name Yehoshua originally came from Hoshea. It’s the same shores tho

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:37 pm
Tao wrote:
I'm the same way. I won't name a certain name that is considered very pretty because all the people I know with that name are high maintenance snobs. Also the person in tanach with this name had an exceptionally difficult life.

Yup, my grandmother has the most gorgeous name. I would never name after her in a million years because she’s an awful narcissist, selfish person

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:38 pm
My Shua is the yummiest, funniest kid and is extremely bright and kind. Deeply feeling and creative. Love love the name and definitely feel there is a special strength to it. I did pair it with a softer name just in case we changed our mind about the nickname later on but I really didn't need to, it's such a beautiful name and meaning.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 7:51 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Just pointing out- it’s ישועת ה ״” not “יהושע”
It’s not the same thing, the name Yehoshua originally came from Hoshea. It’s the same shores tho

Do they both mean salvation?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:40 pm
DH is Yehoshua - genuinely good person, b"h he's one of those people who everyone who meets him, likes him. Definitely not wild Smile I totally get the thing about not giving certain names due to associations and have my own "collection" of such names. But if it's a name you want to give and are looking for validation, hopefully the responses here help!

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:13 am
At my son Yehoshua's bris my friend came over to me and said I had picked a terrible name- Yehoshua's are stubborn as anything.
I made up my mind at that second to love up this kid no matter what.
Good idea.
He has caused us immeasurable heartbreak.
We have paid thousands of dollars to therapists of all sorts.
He's decided he's not frum.
He is over 30 and still in all sorts of therapies.
I have no idea if his name has anything to do with it, but if it does,run like the wind.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:20 am
amother Sand wrote:
At my son Yehoshua's bris my friend came over to me and said I had picked a terrible name- Yehoshua's are stubborn as anything.
I made up my mind at that second to love up this kid no matter what.
Good idea.
He has caused us immeasurable heartbreak.
We have paid thousands of dollars to therapists of all sorts.
He's decided he's not frum.
He is over 30 and still in all sorts of therapies.
I have no idea if his name has anything to do with it, but if it does,run like the wind.

What kind of moron tells a mother something like that at her son’s bris??
I have a brother Shua who can be a difficult person, but is a fully functional and successful adult with a beautiful family. I also have an absolutely wonderful brother in law named Yehoshua who is one of my favorite people and truly beloved by everyone who meets him!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 12:17 pm
My father zt"l's name was Yehoshua.
He was an amazing person - caring, thoughtful, modest and refined.
He was a huge talmid chacham, and really lived by all the Torah he learned.
He loved Hashem, took joy in doing mitzvos, and was unbelievably kind and warm to every person he met.
I hope we are zocheh to have many grandchildren named Yehoshuah (there are two already, baruch Hashem!).

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 12:28 pm
My brother is Shua. An amazing amazing man who made multiple siyumai hashas. He raised exceptional children also.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 12:47 pm
I have a Yehoshua. He is a delicious little boy, he is on the hyper side, but extremely smart and sensitive. He is fun loving and behaves perfectly in school. No learning issues, very talented, and will definitely accomplish a lot in life. He is smart and funny and our family is in love with him. His name holds a lot of meaning for us and it is an amazing name.
I think you can pick any name out of a hat and see the traits you are describing in some people with that name.
Why don't you wait until you meet the baby and then decide if it fits?
Yehoshua was never on our "list" and for certain reasons, ended up being the perfect name for this child. Keep it on your back pocket, and then you have 8 days to decide!
Bshaa Tovah!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 12:51 pm
Of course the name is inherently connected to salvation. And not just to any natural salvation, but divine salvation. Moshe Rabbeinu changed Hoshea's name to Yehoshua, and prayed:
Kah yoshiachah - may G-d save you!
The two Yehoshuas in my life are such refined, princely men.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:50 pm
Most ppl answering are talking abt that name specifically.

I'm going to respond to your general question and say that I totally hear you.

I won't name after a certain grandparent because the two people I know with the same name even though only one is after that grandparent, have issues, 1 is a little off and the other one is 100% special needs.

I also have an issue with a second name because I really don't like some of the people who are named after that same person.

My point is that parents are given a little bit of ruach hakodesh when it comes to names and if it's something you get can't get past, pick something else especially if your spouse doesn't necessarily care either way.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names