Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Family Chanukah game that works to give out little gifts?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:31 pm
hi all! I bought little gifts for all of my family and now would love to play a sort of game with them instead of just giving them out to make it more fun... any ideas for a game that could somehow include giving out the gifts to them??
thank you all Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:32 pm
Does it matter which gift they receive, or can it be a game of chance?

juggling

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:33 pm
Treasure hunt.

advocate

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:42 pm
Pass the package

There's also a game on Between carpools

Have fun!

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:19 am
Are they person specific?
How many people are we talking about?
How much time for you want the game to take?
How much time do you want to invest in the game before Chanukah?

Do you want to make a poem/riddle about each person and every needs to pay attention and whoever shout out to guess who gets the gift gets a chocolate coin but if they guess wrong they need to give one back (so you don’t have random impulse guesses)?

Do you want to assign everyone a person to hand out and they need to present it as a gramen/poem?

Do you want to hide them and give each person their own clues like a treasure hunt? (You could also do teams)

Give me feedback and I will help you fine tune.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:10 am
Following we tod everyone to wrap something up to $5 how could we get everyone to guess what it is.

bakingmom

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 7:15 am
This is a great one, my kids love it, but it only works if it doesnt matter who gets what. You need more things than the number of people, some of the presents should be good, some not as good and a few duds. I usually buy a few little gifts, some food (chocolate coins, lolly, etc) and some money (ranging from a couple of pennies to $5). The duds are things like a raw potato, toilet roll etc.

Put all your pots/bowls upside down on the table with a prize underneath. The kids take turns spinning the dreidel, as follows:
nun- nothing happens
gimmel - you choose a pot for yourself
hey - the person on your right chooses a pot for you
shin/peh - you choose a pot for the person on your right.

keep going till all the pots have been upturned and everyone has their prizes.

When playing with a lot of people I have sometimes labelled a couple of pots - girl/younger/older etc so that I'm not limited to getting all presents that work for everyone, which can be hard when there are so many people.

scintilla

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 7:21 am
Peas love and carrots has a giant match it game in her chalympics that works great for this kind of thing. She uses 9x13s but I used much smaller pans and it was perfect for a big crowd!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 7:50 am
We play dreidel and gimmel gets to pick a gift

Or Chanukah themed bingo

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 8:02 am
Make a very simple memory game. Make cards or papers with numbers one through however, many gifts you have and number the gifts for every match you get to choose a corresponding gift. If you don’t want people to get more than one gift, then once you get a match in the game, you’re out of the game. My family does this with scratch offs. It’s a lot of fun and we are all adults.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:27 am
I would love an idea as well. But I did buy specific gifts for each kid. Was planning to wrap it, any ideas?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:32 am
Make a scavenger hunt with clues, the boys cud hide the girls gifts and vice versa.

scintilla

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:32 am
amother Babypink wrote:
I would love an idea as well. But I did buy specific gifts for each kid. Was planning to wrap it, any ideas?

You could still do any of these games, just put the child's name on it and either they have to wait till they win theirs (harder) or when someone wins a prize they give it to the real recipient who then opens it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:56 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
Are they person specific?
How many people are we talking about?
How much time for you want the game to take?
How much time do you want to invest in the game before Chanukah?

Do you want to make a poem/riddle about each person and every needs to pay attention and whoever shout out to guess who gets the gift gets a chocolate coin but if they guess wrong they need to give one back (so you don’t have random impulse guesses)?

Do you want to assign everyone a person to hand out and they need to present it as a gramen/poem?

Do you want to hide them and give each person their own clues like a treasure hunt? (You could also do teams)

Give me feedback and I will help you fine tune.

op here thank you everyone soooo much all such amazing ideas!!! I think ill do the treasure hunt idea.... I think my kids would love that Smile

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 3:26 pm
A scavenger hunt us a great idea but I need tips on what to write on the notes. I'm really not good at it

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 8:11 pm
Wrap presents and do a chinese auction with hints to each thing so they can put in for what they may thinks sounds interesting... then they see what it really is!

Scavenger Hunt Ideas to place near:

Last place before you go to sleep (toothbrush)
Smells yummy Shabbos morning (cholent pot)
The most precious thing in the house (seforim shrunk)
Cozy and warm (throw blankets)
Hashem's protection (mezuzah)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 11:13 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Wrap presents and do a chinese auction with hints to each thing so they can put in for what they may thinks sounds interesting... then they see what it really is!

Scavenger Hunt Ideas to place near:

Last place before you go to sleep (toothbrush)
Smells yummy Shabbos morning (cholent pot)
The most precious thing in the house (seforim shrunk)
Cozy and warm (throw blankets)
Hashem's protection (mezuzah)

wow these are so good!!! thank you for taking the time to post these... really helpful Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics