Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Which way do you light? Shamash and far right?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:04 pm
And then add a new one on the right each time?

Thanks so much.

peace2

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:08 pm
Start on the far right and move towards the left with each night.
When setting up the menorah, start on the left and move towards the right so you're putting that night's candle in first

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:09 pm
Thanks so much.

My husband did it wrong.
I didnt correct him cos I wasnt sure

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:32 pm
You light left to right
Candle on far right and then add a candle to the left each night. So you light the new candle first

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:34 pm

Light newest candle first

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:41 pm
Delete

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:42 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Delete

Delete

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much.

My husband did it wrong.

What way did he do?

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 2:00 pm
peace2 wrote:
Start on the far right and move towards the left with each night.
When setting up the menorah, start on the left and move towards the right so you're putting that night's candle in first

Wait, isn't that the opposite? Candles are lit left to right. Newes first, then continue to right.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 2:11 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Wait, isn't that the opposite? Candles are lit left to right. Newes first, then continue to right.

The post with the pictures is clearest.
You start on the right. The first candle you light on the first night is the one on the far right. The second night you light the two candles that are closest to the right. You always light the newest candle first, so you’re lighting left to right.
Some people use the shamash itself to light the other candles in which case you obviously light the shamash first. Men in my family use a candle to light but have the shamash prepared in its spot in the menorah. They light the candles for the night and then light the shamash last. They then blow out the candle they used for lighting.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 3:05 pm
What if you have a big silver menorah with a decorative place for an oil cup for a shamash, but you don't use it to light the others. Everything is lit with a candle that's not the shamash. Do you first light the decorative shamash and then the "real" neiros, or first the actual candles and then the decorative shamash at the end?

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 3:38 pm
My husband uses matches instead of a candle to light since the shamesh is a cup of oil.
Does it matter if you use a candle or a match?

YounginBP

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 3:42 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
What if you have a big silver menorah with a decorative place for an oil cup for a shamash, but you don't use it to light the others. Everything is lit with a candle that's not the shamash. Do you first light the decorative shamash and then the "real" neiros, or first the actual candles and then the decorative shamash at the end?

Last
There are so many minhagim around this. Dh does an oil shamash
My brother in law does candle, the one he used to light.
Yet another one lights an oil, but keeps the candle shamash burning in a separate holder.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 4:09 pm
We say, write it in Hebrew (put them in right to left), and read it in English (light them left to right).

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 4:11 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
We say, write it in Hebrew (put them in right to left), and read it in English (light them left to right).

That’s the easiest way to explain it to anyone!!
Smart!

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 4:14 pm
amother Anemone wrote:

If you have the type of menorah you’re describing, you light the shamash last after the number of candles lit for that night.
That type of shamash, even though you didn’t use it to light the other candles, isn’t just decorative.
The Chanuka candles have a special kedusha and you’re not allowed to read or do anything using their light. Their purpose is strictly to serve as Chanuka candles and nothing else. The shamash that burns near them also gives off light so if someone accidentally does something in the room that uses light, they can rely on the fact that the shamash gives off light too and they weren’t specifically using the Chanuka candles.

Reality

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 4:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much.

My husband did it wrong.

Are you a newlywed? There are different minhagim on how to light. Could be your DH follows a less well-known minhag.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:06 pm
Reality wrote:
Are you a newlywed? There are different minhagim on how to light. Could be your DH follows a less well-known minhag.

Putting in candles starting with the one on the far right and starting to light from the newest one of the night, meaning left to right, is very widespread. I don’t think anyone does that differently. Curious if any imamothers will say they’ve seen anyone light differently.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:09 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:

That's exactly how I learned it, didn't know it's an actual thing people say!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 6:41 pm
I always sing the song to remind myself.

We put them in starting from the right
We add one more on every night
But don't forget when you start to light
To do them from the left to right.

The Shamash is highest, it's the Ner
That lights every wick from here to there
No other candle can compare
To the shamash the highest Ner.

(Shamash is first since officially you use that to light the others.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics