Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
WFH with newborn
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:55 am
DD is almost 2 months and I'm planning to restart my freelance wfh job any day. How do I do it without a babysitter?

My main issue right now is naps. I can put her in her carrier and she'll sleep 2+ hours, but I'm really trying to get her to nap on her own in the bouncer (working up to the bassinet) but those naps only last for 40 minutes, tops.

I don't have patience to spend rocking and shushing her to sleep for 20 minutes every time. How bad is it to just let her nap in the carrier while I work?

Any other tips for wfh?

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 11:59 am
Yes, you should get a babysitter.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:00 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
Yes, you should get a babysitter.

Can't afford one right now. Looking for suggestions how to make it work without one.

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:04 pm
Whats a carrier?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:07 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Whats a carrier?

I have this one:
https://a.co/d/bNAxcG2

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:12 pm
My 4 month old falls asleep on her own in the crib. Stand next to her and rub her stomach, sing to her... eventually shell learn.
Signs of her being tired is rubbing her eyes or little kvething noises. As soon as you realize shes tired right away put her in. if you dont take advantage she'll be overstimulated and overtired and she'll have a hard time falling asleep

amother
Red

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:14 pm
I brought my kids to work with me until they were between 9 and 11 months. I used a portable swing, carriage, and baby mat. Constantly nurses. When they started crawling around all over I sent or a babysitter as long as they were on some sort of solids.

writeread

Can you get a standup desk and wear her while you work?

amother
Papaya

It’s not bad to let her nap in the carrier as long as she’s in it correctly. It might slow the process of getting her to sleep in the bassinet though.

ETA good luck and take care of yourself! I found it so hard on my mental health to have to do two full time jobs at once in caring for my baby and working my job.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:32 pm
I have done this for six kids, ka'h.

What I've found works is that as newborns, nap them in the carrier assuming they sleep well in it and you're able to work. When they hit the age that they don't nap well in the carrier, you will need a few days of getting very little work done to train them to sleep in their cribs/bassinets. And then they'll nap in there and things will get easier while they're sleeping. Harder while they're awake, though.

Are you working full time? I will tell you that once they're past the newborn stage that becomes very stressful. I would say four hours a day is manageable but hard. Unless your hours are so flexible that you can work after they go to sleep at night too, in which case four hours a day might be manageable, depending on the baby.

happy7

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 12:41 pm
What kind of work do you do?
I find it very hard to do anything when I have a baby on me.
If you have clients or meetings on zoom or anything like that, you can’t have the baby woth you

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:17 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
My 4 month old falls asleep on her own in the crib. Stand next to her and rub her stomach, sing to her... eventually shell learn.
Signs of her being tired is rubbing her eyes or little kvething noises. As soon as you realize shes tired right away put her in. if you dont take advantage she'll be overstimulated and overtired and she'll have a hard time falling asleep

I just got her to sleep in the bouncer today!! Was able to pat her tush from underneath and rock her (it) at the same time. But I've learned that what works today will probably not work tomorrow...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:18 pm
writeread wrote:
Can you get a standup desk and wear her while you work?

I can sit while wearing her. She doesn't seem to mind.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Denim wrote:
I have done this for six kids, ka'h.

What I've found works is that as newborns, nap them in the carrier assuming they sleep well in it and you're able to work. When they hit the age that they don't nap well in the carrier, you will need a few days of getting very little work done to train them to sleep in their cribs/bassinets. And then they'll nap in there and things will get easier while they're sleeping. Harder while they're awake, though.

Are you working full time? I will tell you that once they're past the newborn stage that becomes very stressful. I would say four hours a day is manageable but hard. Unless your hours are so flexible that you can work after they go to sleep at night too, in which case four hours a day might be manageable, depending on the baby.

No, not full time, at the moment at least. It's more contract-based work. But I can see a scenario where it might not be enough for us, in which case I will need to find an additional job outside of home, in which case we'll have to invest in a babysitter/daycare.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:21 pm
happy7 wrote:
What kind of work do you do?
I find it very hard to do anything when I have a baby on me.
If you have clients or meetings on zoom or anything like that, you can’t have the baby woth you

Not too many calls, BH. Mostly computer work on my own.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:21 pm
Do you put her to sleep on her tummy in the bassinet? My newborns sleep very well for long stretches in that position.

scintilla

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:22 pm
If you can sit while wearing her and she'll sleep, what's the problem? I would have loved to do that with my babies, they all have super sensors for Mommy sitting though:)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:54 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Do you put her to sleep on her tummy in the bassinet? My newborns sleep very well for long stretches in that position.

Isn't it unsafe?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 1:54 pm
scintilla wrote:
If you can sit while wearing her and she'll sleep, what's the problem? I would have loved to do that with my babies, they all have super sensors for Mommy sitting though:)

I don't want to get her used to it.

tichellady

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 2:02 pm
Very few newborns nap for long periods in a bassinet. Mine did not. Only contact naps or naps outside
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics