Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Keep getting distracted from work

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 3:59 am
I get very distracted and keep on finding myself checking my emails, imamother etc.
I do find my job pretty boring but I can't handle more change in my life right now so changing jobs isn't an option. Also, there are many perks of this job, just the work is very boring.
I always get very distracted but this is really affecting my work, I keep on deducting hours from my pay and I need the money! Besides I feel extremely guilty about it.
I've tried working for half hour at a go, then a short break but it wasn't so helpful - I didn't have the self control to manage that well enough.
Any ideas how to make it work better?

salt

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:00 am
Do you get done what you need to get done, in the right time frame?

I also get very distracted at work during boring periods, but when I need to get something done because my boss is waiting, or I keep getting asked about it, then am able to rise above the distractions and I do it.

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:22 am
Can you set up focus mode on your phone or computer?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:34 am
salt wrote:
Do you get done what you need to get done, in the right time frame?

I also get very distracted at work during boring periods, but when I need to get something done because my boss is waiting, or I keep getting asked about it, then am able to rise above the distractions and I do it.

Generally yes, but sometimes need reminders.
My workload is sometimes very full, sometimes (like now) very empty. I'm distracted daily.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:34 am
singleagain wrote:
Can you set up focus mode on your phone or computer?

How do I do that?

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:35 am
amother OP wrote:
How do I do that?

On a phone or a computer? Also what kind apple or Android or Windows?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:36 am
singleagain wrote:
On a phone or a computer? Also what kind apple or Android or Windows?

Windows computer.
I've never heard of such a thing before but it sounds good.
Thanks!

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Windows computer.
I've never heard of such a thing before but it sounds good.
Thanks!

What browser are you using? Chrome?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:41 am
singleagain wrote:
What browser are you using? Chrome?

Yes

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:46 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes

https://chromewebstore.google.com

Go to the Chrome web store and search for website blocker. Or focus mode extension Might want to look at a few of them to decide which one is right for you. Instance it can block the website only during certain times or it can block it forever. You can need a pin. It cannot be need a pin so look a little bit

When I'm at my actual desktop. I will look for the one that I recently installed on a Friends computer to block YouTube from her kid

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:48 am
singleagain wrote:
https://chromewebstore.google.com

Go to the Chrome web store and search for website blocker. Or focus mode extension Might want to look at a few of them to decide which one is right for you. Instance it can block the website only during certain times or it can block it forever. You can need a pin. It cannot be need a pin so look a little bit

When I'm at my actual desktop. I will look for the one that I recently installed on a Friends computer to block YouTube from her kid

Thank you so much!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 6:02 am
amother OP wrote:
I get very distracted and keep on finding myself checking my emails, imamother etc.
I do find my job pretty boring but I can't handle more change in my life right now so changing jobs isn't an option. Also, there are many perks of this job, just the work is very boring.
I always get very distracted but this is really affecting my work, I keep on deducting hours from my pay and I need the money! Besides I feel extremely guilty about it.
I've tried working for half hour at a go, then a short break but it wasn't so helpful - I didn't have the self control to manage that well enough.
Any ideas how to make it work better?

I read this and had to think if I wrote this myself. When I have a deadline and interesting stuff I can rise above. But when work is slow and only boring stuff to do I can't seem to get it done. My life is insane right now, so switching to something new is hard. Also some perks with the job like pay and flexibility, but sooo boring.
I wish I could find something I like (no idea what I like), but at least for now to not get distracted!!!!!

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 6:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much!

https://chromewebstore.google......jjckj

this is the one I put for my friend. what I like about it is that you can block either part of the entirety of the site and if you want you can create a schedule for access as well. and there is a pin override.

Success10

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 7:08 am
Adderall

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:08 am
If the work is boring and simple enough that you can do it while listening to music or a podcast, that can really help.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 4:57 am
Success10 wrote:
Adderall

I take Ritalin, still so distracted. It's b/c it's so boring.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics