Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby got a bulge under each eye- A concern?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:56 am
My 11 month old started to develop a puffy spot under each eye about a month ago. I thought it might be bags under her eyes, but it's more under the outer part of each eye. It's almost a round spot, rather than along the bottom of the eye. I wasn't worried, but 2 people have commented to me about them in the past few days. One of them said these bulges are in the wrong place to be bags.

For the past few days now, she's been waking up with mucus all over her eyes, so I started putting on cream we had from a few months ago. But now I wonder if there's any connection between the mucus and the bulge. I have an appointment at the pediatrician for tomorrow morning, but in the meantime, I am wondering what possible explanation there could be for what I'm seeing. Google hasn't told me about anything that seems to be it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas?

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:57 am
I don't know much but sounds like a blocked duct of some sort

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:45 am
Could be a blocked duct although my child's blocked tear duct did not show up that way. Pediatrician is your best bet.
An unlikely cause but the couple of kids I know with hypothyroidism get puffy under the eyes.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:48 am
Don’t use old eye cream/drops. They generally should be thrown out after a month.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:51 am
Blocked tear ducts do not seem to include a bulge under the eye, like by the cheek bone.

Interesting about hypothyroidism. My ds was born with hypothyroidism, but is BH better now. This baby did have a slightly elevated TSH level once, but we redid the bloodwork and it was fine. I can brig it up with the doctor tomorrow.

schoolbus

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:01 pm
It might be allergic shiners

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:03 pm
It could be an infection important to check out.

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:13 pm
The mucus could be because she has a cold, if they don't know how to blow it out through the nose, it goes to the eyes. Do not use any ointments for it. Use a cloth or cotton pad with warm water and gentle rub towards the nose.
I don't know what the bags are. I hope your DR can let you know tomorrow.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:20 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions! The problem is she does not have nasal congestion or dark circles under her eyes. Just a bulge at each cheekbone and now crusty eyes.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:30 pm
I would try to get to a doctor asap, not wait til tomorrow.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 12:37 pm
Why? What would you think it might be? She's had the bulges for at least 2 or 3 weeks already. They are soft bulges, no hard masses underneath. And they are equal on both sides. I wonder if they really are bags after all, and she just has pink eye.

I find it strange that google has no suggestions that might be possibilities.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 1:11 pm
I had such a virus now. Started with bulges followed by red eyes. Took over a week of fever and not feeling well. Took drops from the dr. Thank god I’m better now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 1:37 pm
But my baby has no other symptoms of being sick. She's happy BH.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 1:49 pm
Unlikely, but it could be nephrotic syndrome, I would definitely get it checked out to be sure

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 2:31 pm
That actually sounds like the first thing that has a chance of being a possibility, though I still don't think so. One of the people who commented about the bulge under her eyes also asked me if her leg was swollen, but we decided it was not, her legs are just a bit fatter than the rest of her. But she does not have any of the other symptoms. No fatigue, in fact she hardly sleeps. She loves to eat.

I guess we'll have to wait until our appointment. The doctor had no available appointments today.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 2:36 pm
Try changing sheets in the bed more often. My sister (who is now grown up) got this and will get this when the sheets/pillowcase is not changed enough. It's either from old body fluid or dust gathered on the sheet, and getting back into the eye when rubbing it while sleeping.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 12 2023, 12:08 pm
The doctor said she doesn't think the swelling is related to the mucus, because an infection would make the entire eye orbit swell up, not just one spot. She said to use new eye drops, and then if it's still there, we should go to an ophthalmologist. She thinks it may be just fat, but we should get it checked out to make sure.

We've been to the eye doctor before, when she was a newborn, because she was born with a prominent vein in her eyelid that they thought might be feeding a hemangioma (a strawberry birthmark.) They felt all around for a mass and dilated her pupils to look into her eyes. They found nothing.

Now she's 11 months old. The vein has become much less noticeable by now. The swelling seems to be a drop worse under the eye without the vein, so I doubt it's related. I guess we will find out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics