Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
Winter holiday ideas- in UK pref
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:37 am
Hi,

I would love to take the kids away for a few days. We might go visit my brother in Manchester, I was thinking of going to the lakes. Any other ideas near there? Not too far since we’re coming from London by car.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:44 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi,

I would love to take the kids away for a few days. We might go visit my brother in Manchester, I was thinking of going to the lakes. Any other ideas near there? Not too far since we’re coming from London by car.

Peak district, the pennines, Yorkshire and the lakes are beautiful areas all near Manchester.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 6:21 am
Busybee5 wrote:
Peak district, the pennines, Yorkshire and the lakes are beautiful areas all near Manchester.

Thanks. Any ideas of what’s to do there in the winter?

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 6:58 am
Chester is nice. And has lots to do there.
Aquarium, zoo, ..... Chester is a nice town to walk around in too.

Not too far from Manchester either.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 7:58 am
amother OP wrote:

Nothing in particular, they're all big areas that'll have plenty of indoor outings too. The views and surroundings are beautiful!

Elfrida

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:42 am
amother OP wrote:

Get cold and wet?

Seriously, they are beautiful areas, but in the winter you need to be very on top.of the weather forecast before planning any outside activities, which makes it hard to plan in advance. Look for indoor activities - your brother might get able to advise you if he lives in the area. Then have two or three plans for hikes and other outdoor activities, and put them into play whenever you get a fine day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:22 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Get cold and wet?

Seriously, they are beautiful areas, but in the winter you need to be very on top.of the weather forecast before planning any outside activities, which makes it hard to plan in advance. Look for indoor activities - your brother might get able to advise you if he lives in the area. Then have two or three plans for hikes and other outdoor activities, and put them into play whenever you get a fine day.

Hm thanks.

I miss the sunshine 😔

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 2:19 pm
I wouldn't recommend lakes or peak district this time of year. There is nothing to do indoors really, and the weather is unlikely to allow for much outdoor activity. I say this as someone who has done many summer holidays in these places, and when it rains, we are always stuck.
The website days out with your kids is quite good for finding activities to do with your kids.
How old are your kids? And what sort of activities would they enjoy?
Wales is closer than the lake district and is slightly more touristy and will have more indoor places.
Manchester has quite a lot of different activities, if you just want to stay there.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:15 pm
Peak district, lake district, Wales - these are all beautiful and we've had some amazing summer holidays here. Throw tomatoes but I think these areas are more picturesque than some European hotspots.
But keep in mind op that apart from the weather possibly not cooperating and there being nothing much to do, these places are mostly countryside and come 4pm it's pitch dark. You have to know if you're comfortable driving down narrow unfamiliar country lanes and mountainside road in complete darkness. I found it terrifying and even in the summer we didn't go out late night for this reason. But in the winter it's a lot more limiting.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 4:44 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
I wouldn't recommend lakes or peak district this time of year. There is nothing to do indoors really, and the weather is unlikely to allow for much outdoor activity. I say this as someone who has done many summer holidays in these places, and when it rains, we are always stuck.
The website days out with your kids is quite good for finding activities to do with your kids.
How old are your kids? And what sort of activities would they enjoy?
Wales is closer than the lake district and is slightly more touristy and will have more indoor places.
Manchester has quite a lot of different activities, if you just want to stay there.

Thank you. My kid are 7 and under.

Are you talking about lladunow? Where in wales?

We’ve done Manchester many times.

Busybee5

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 5:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. My kid are 7 and under.

Are you talking about lladunow? Where in wales?

We’ve done Manchester many times.

That changes everything. You can go to a different indoor soft play every day if it rains Smile they're cheap, warm and fun for little kids Wink even a museum at that age to look at trains or something. There are indoor outings everywhere.
And if you get good weather you can explore the area, wherever you're staying. Wales is really stunning. I love snowdonia area, and it's really near to Manchester. But all areas are beautiful.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 2:35 pm
Bumping up my thread because we have booked shutting yet Can't Believe It . Are there any cities in the UK with kosher food except London and Manchester (and Gateshead)? I know Brighton has one restaurant and Bournemouth has a kosher hotel which does dinner.. any other ideas?

Busybee5

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 2:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bumping up my thread because we have booked shutting yet Can't Believe It . Are there any cities in the UK with kosher food except London and Manchester (and Gateshead)? I know Brighton has one restaurant and Bournemouth has a kosher hotel which does dinner.. any other ideas?

Not really. We take all our food along when we go away. I cook meals in advance (I suppose this is too late for you) take disposable pots to boil up pasta etc.
Take a domo, frozen chips, tival etc etc and you're set. It is a shlep but worth it. This winter we're not going away for Shabbos, there's a lot less to take along.
Hope you find something!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 2:49 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
Not really. We take all our food along when we go away. I cook meals in advance (I suppose this is too late for you) take disposable pots to boil up pasta etc.
Take a domo, frozen chips, tival etc etc and you're set. It is a shlep but worth it. This winter we're not going away for Shabbos, there's a lot less to take along.
Hope you find something!

I do all that but it’s a pain to shlep. Can I ask you where you are going? We are open to anywhere at this point 😝.

Busybee5

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 2:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I do all that but it’s a pain to shlep. Can I ask you where you are going? We are open to anywhere at this point 😝.

Sorry but I'll definitely out myself if I tell you.
Not England Wink
In the UK.
Try air BnB, put United kingdom, your dates, how many people, your preferences etc.
Adjust the price bar to what you're willing to pay and it'll come up with what's available.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 2:56 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
Sorry but I'll definitely out myself if I tell you.
Not England Wink
In the UK.
Try air BnB, put United kingdom, your dates, how many people, your preferences etc.
Adjust the price bar to what you're willing to pay and it'll come up with what's available.

Nice. I can guess where! Sounds like fun. Thanks that’s what we’ve been doing all week lol.

Busybee5

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 3:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nice. I can guess where! Sounds like fun. Thanks that’s what we’ve been doing all week lol.

Hatzlocho Smile

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:07 am
Bumping up this thread, looking to go away for two nights during half term, any ideas not too far from london? Have only been to Bournemouth, looking for other ideas

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:55 am
Anywhere along the coast e.g. frinton, Walton on the naze, Dover, Folkestone and lots more.
Or Cotswolds if you want countryside

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:07 am
amother Almond wrote:
Anywhere along the coast e.g. frinton, Walton on the naze, Dover, Folkestone and lots more.
Or Cotswolds if you want countryside

Thanks which is the prettiest?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries