Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Jobs within yeshiva setting

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 9:32 am
Does your son earn money while in yeshiva? My son is feeling that urge to earn but I want him to stay in yeshiva longer. I would love to hear ideas if anyone has. Yeshiva hours are 7 AM-10 PM with an hour and a half lunch break.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 9:33 am
amother OP wrote:
Does your son earn money while in yeshiva? My son is feeling that urge to earn but I want him to stay in yeshiva longer. I would love to hear ideas if anyone has. Yeshiva hours are 7 AM-10 PM with an hour and a half lunch break.

How old is he?

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 10:14 am
My son gives haircuts at lunchtime, fixes broken cupboards for people and takes an old man to shacharis. He is the very active type who won't only learn but he manages 3 sedorim a day plus this. He also sometimes does grocery deliveries.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 10:39 am
Some yeshivos pay bochurim to clean up the seforim in the beis medrash after seder and put them back where they go on the shelf. But it really depends on his yeshiva, and what opportunities it offers.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 10:49 am
If he's a good learner, maybe he can tutor other bachurim in yeshiva. My husband made a nice amount from tutoring while in yeshiva.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 11:00 am
Bookbinding and shtender building are good for someone hands on. Some bochrim who are available on Shabbos will lein in shulls on minyanim that need.

Rereading your OP- is he having an urge to earn and have pocket money, or to be an earner? Is there a compromise setting of half and half, where the earning can maybe still be in a yeshiva/ kosher environment? At that point he can work in the office, etc.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 11:51 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Some yeshivos pay bochurim to clean up the seforim in the beis medrash after seder and put them back where they go on the shelf. But it really depends on his yeshiva, and what opportunities it offers.

My son does this this year, he's 17. He has no expenses, we pay for all his needs, so this is extra for his driving lessons and habit of buying sefarim.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 11:57 am
Is he good with computers? Dh basically used to do IT work for his yeshiva (they didn't have a dedicated IT worker at the time) and eventually ended up doing IT as a career after he left yeshiva. He's still doing it over 20 years later.

mommyX2

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 12:35 pm
haircuts, bringing clothes to dry cleaners, selling food/drinks/nosh

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:03 pm
Thank you for the ideas! There are a lot of good ones here. He's 17 and very active but not a shlepper type. He has to feel accomplished or he'll reject the job idea. Tutoring, computers, haircuts, building furniture, leining, unfortunately are not his thing.
I've been giving him plenty of spending money but he wants to earn on his own.
He is great with children, extremely artistic and detail oriented, responsible and hard working. He learns quickly if he is interested.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:07 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
Bookbinding and shtender building are good for someone hands on. Some bochrim who are available on Shabbos will lein in shulls on minyanim that need.

Rereading your OP- is he having an urge to earn and have pocket money, or to be an earner? Is there a compromise setting of half and half, where the earning can maybe still be in a yeshiva/ kosher environment? At that point he can work in the office, etc.

To be an earner. He's very driven. But I need him in a safe yeshiva environment for at least another year or two.
I hope I can come up with something solid for him.

keym

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:15 pm
You might reach out to the yeshiva.
My boys told me that in their various yeshivos, there are boys who are given specific jobs and they learn the rest of the time.
-Mashgiach in the kitchen at certain times
-Waiter, set up, clean up
-Maintenance (toilet paper restock, changing lightbulbs, ordering paper, filling the coffee)
-Bais Medrash cleanup (particularly putting seforim away which the nonJewish janitors can't do neatly)
-Tutoring
-Shoveling, Raking
-Transcribing a Rebbis Shiur
-Recording and selling Rebbeim shiurim to alumnae
-Office work like fundraising, mailings

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 1:27 pm
keym wrote:
You might reach out to the yeshiva.
My boys told me that in their various yeshivos, there are boys who are given specific jobs and they learn the rest of the time.
-Mashgiach in the kitchen at certain times
-Waiter, set up, clean up
-Maintenance (toilet paper restock, changing lightbulbs, ordering paper, filling the coffee)
-Bais Medrash cleanup (particularly putting seforim away which the nonJewish janitors can't do neatly)
-Tutoring
-Shoveling, Raking
-Transcribing a Rebbis Shiur
-Recording and selling Rebbeim shiurim to alumnae
-Office work like fundraising, mailings

Thanks! I did a few weeks ago and did again today. The yeshiva does offer a lot of jobs but they were taken unfortunately before he had a chance to figure it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children