Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What is this candle for?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:06 pm
https://waterdalecollection.co.....v=1.0
I got it as a gift but don’t know what it’s useful for. I see it’s for lighting shabbos candles, but how is this better than using match, as I’d still need to use the match to light the candle. Thanks.

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:14 pm
My guess is if you light a lot of candles that way you don't have to worry about the match burning down

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:32 pm
After all, you can't blow it out, once you have accepted Shabbos, so I don't get it, either.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:45 pm
It's a tzinder. I don't know why, but some women light Shabbos candles from another candle, not from a match.

peace2

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:45 pm
Idk maybe save it for next chanukah? Seems a bit useless for shabbos since you can't blow it out so is it one time use and then let it burn down?

Busybee5

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:47 pm
I'd be concerned about wax dripping all over my candlesticks and everywhere else!

singleagain

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:48 pm
Are you guys talking about light the candle, blow it out and then say the bracha

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:52 pm
Idk why is so complicated
I have always had a silver lighter with a candle in it. My match doesn’t last long enough to light all my candles
I wave it out after I say the Bracha (we don’t blow out candles ) and then I say the Bracha
The only time it’s an issue is on yontif when I say the bracha before I light. Then I just leave it on a tray and it goes out on its own eventually
It’s super common to use a silver lighter. This is just the same kind of idea I guess

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:54 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Idk why is so complicated
I have always had a silver lighter with a candle in it. My match doesn’t last long enough to light all my candles
I wave it out after I say the Bracha (we don’t blow out candles ) and then I say the Bracha
The only time it’s an issue is on yontif when I say the bracha before I light. Then I just leave it on a tray and it goes out on its own eventually
It’s super common to use a silver lighter. This is just the same kind of idea I guess

Yeah, we do the same (down to waving it out, as my husband's family doesn't blow out candles). You light, put it out, then say the bracha.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:12 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
After all, you can't blow it out, once you have accepted Shabbos, so I don't get it, either.

Some hold that you're not allowed to blow out the fire/match after finishing to light (before bracha), and others hold that you are allowed to.

So those that hold that not allowed to, they cant use such tzinders.

(And btw, welcome back! Smile )

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:46 pm
tx petunia

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:51 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

How do you light candles?
With a match and then put it down to burn like on a second day yt?

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 7:57 pm
It's a useless fancy tshotschke. Apparently the intent is, aside from creating brand-new useless gifts for people to waste their money on, to extend your reach and enable you to light very tall candles or candles on a high shelf or in the back row or all seventeen of your candles or to be used by you and all your daughters and guests without having to strike more than one match. Seems like an incredible waste, matches being cheaper.

You could:
1. save it to use on Chanuka, if you don't mind that it says Shabbas on it. On Chanuka you can extinguish the "tzinder" after all.
2. Wait till someone gives you a matching one and then light both for a special Shabbat when you know you're going to be up an extra long time, maybe when the Seder is on Friday night. 3. Regift it and let the next person wonder what on earth it's good for.
4. Give it to your children's school PTA for their annual raffle or mystery sale.

FTR, though: you ARE allowed to extinguish the flame you use for lighting, before you make the bracha. The following is from https://torah.org/torah-portio.....rach/

It is permitted to extinguish the flame after lighting candles as long as one does so before reciting the blessing of le-hadlik ner shel Shabbos. Although Shulchan Aruch does note the custom of “some” women who are careful not to put out the flame after lighting candles,(7)this custom no longer applies today when all women(8)recite the blessing over the candles after kindling them. Since Shabbos does not begin until after the blessing is recited, there is ample time to blow out the flame before reciting the blessing.(9)

Therefore, the fancy "tzinder" candle does not need to be allowed to burn down but can be used week after week. Would I myself do this? No, I would definitely regift. As you say, OP, you still have to light the Tzinder with a match, so unless you light on a very high shelf or light so many candles that you have to use more than one match, the Tzinder hardly seems worth the effort or the expense.

BTW, OP, I once got a Chanuka gift of a bottle of honey and a single skinny, skinny beeswax candle. I couldn't figure out what the candle was for. To warm the honey, maybe? No, it was a tzinder for Chanuka licht. Also a waste, because we use the shamash for that. However, this year I attended a gathering where a table was set up with two rows of menorahs, front and back, for everyone to light. They had a tzinder about 18 inches long which was actually useful, as the menorahs in the back row were a little hard to reach with a match if one's arms weren't especially long.

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
https://waterdalecollection.com/products/shabbos-candle-lighter?_pos=7&_psq=Candle&_ss=e&_v=1.0
I got it as a gift but don’t know what it’s useful for. I see it’s for lighting shabbos candles, but how is this better than using match, as I’d still need to use the match to light the candle. Thanks.

I have a different fancy candle that I got as a gift from this place 2 years ago. It's in my box of gifts and I'm waiting for the opportunity to regift it. Literally no idea what to do with it.

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:02 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

So good to see your name here again!!

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:35 pm
Quote:
FTR, though: you ARE allowed to extinguish the flame you use for lighting, before you make the bracha. The following is from https://torah.org/torah-portio.....rach/

Or not.

https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....sing/

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:57 pm
zaq wrote:
It's a useless fancy tshotschke. Apparently the intent is, aside from creating brand-new useless gifts for people to waste their money on, to extend your reach and enable you to light very tall candles or candles on a high shelf or in the back row or all seventeen of your candles or to be used by you and all your daughters and guests without having to strike more than one match. Seems like an incredible waste, matches being cheaper.

You could:
1. save it to use on Chanuka, if you don't mind that it says Shabbas on it. On Chanuka you can extinguish the "tzinder" after all.
2. Wait till someone gives you a matching one and then light both for a special Shabbat when you know you're going to be up an extra long time, maybe when the Seder is on Friday night. 3. Regift it and let the next person wonder what on earth it's good for.
4. Give it to your children's school PTA for their annual raffle or mystery sale.

It is permitted to extinguish the flame after lighting candles as long as one does so before reciting the blessing of le-hadlik ner shel Shabbos. Although Shulchan Aruch does note the custom of “some” women who are careful not to put out the flame after lighting candles,(7)this custom no longer applies today when all women(8)recite the blessing over the candles after kindling them. Since Shabbos does not begin until after the blessing is recited, there is ample time to blow out the flame before reciting the blessing.(9)

Therefore, the fancy "tzinder" candle does not need to be allowed to burn down but can be used week after week. Would I myself do this? No, I would definitely regift. As you say, OP, you still have to light the Tzinder with a match, so unless you light on a very high shelf or light so many candles that you have to use more than one match, the Tzinder hardly seems worth the effort or the expense.

BTW, OP, I once got a Chanuka gift of a bottle of honey and a single skinny, skinny beeswax candle. I couldn't figure out what the candle was for. To warm the honey, maybe? No, it was a tzinder for Chanuka licht. Also a waste, because we use the shamash for that. However, this year I attended a gathering where a table was set up with two rows of menorahs, front and back, for everyone to light. They had a tzinder about 18 inches long which was actually useful, as the menorahs in the back row were a little hard to reach with a match if one's arms weren't especially long.

If you light an oil menorah the shamash is basically worthless and a tzinder (or just an extra candle) is essential to light the other flames. Not a waste at all. Even for Shabbos I find the tzinder I got as a wedding gift many moons ago very useful because otherwise I have to keep lighting matches - and I don’t light an extreme number of candles. I am allowed to put it out before bentching licht though, according to what we hold.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:00 pm
We don’t blow out
We used it for chanuka lighting
Like a match
And saving it for next chanuka

acemom

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:24 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Welcome back!!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:28 pm
peace2 wrote:
Idk maybe save it for next chanukah? Seems a bit useless for shabbos since you can't blow it out so is it one time use and then let it burn down?

Why can't you blow it out? You light, blow out the match/candle, and make the bracha.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics