Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Possible to kosher treif oven
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:19 am
Hi we're currently looking into buying a house b"h.
I was wondering if it is possible to kosher a treif oven, if we buy house from non jew?

justforfun87

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:20 am
Of course! It is very easy to do. Either self clean or clean it and turn it on highest temp for 2 hours. How do you think caterers go into hotels for Pesach to serve food? They kasher it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:25 am
Generally yes. Very easy if the oven has a self-clean cycle. Not terrible if the it's just an old regular oven but it will have to cleaned thoroughly and then put on its highest setting for however long your Rabbi says.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi we're currently looking into buying a house b"h.
I was wondering if it is possible to kosher a treif oven, if we buy house from non jew?

Yes. Caterers do it all the time when they kosher cater at a non kosher hotel.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:39 am
Yes. Down the line you might one with more features such as Shabbat mode for cooking on Yom Tov or an oven light that can turn off so you can open and close the oven let’s say on Friday night after it goes off on time bake. Mine didn’t so I just let the light burn out the first week. Also an oven with self clean makes it easier to kasher for Pesach and to use for dairy on Shavuos. Also a gas stove is easier to kasher (might have changed but that’s what I remember from many years ago).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:49 am
Thanks What about dishwashers, counters?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:51 am
amother OP wrote:

I was told dishwasher can't be kashered but I know someone who was told it could. You need to ask your rabbi.

Counters depend on what material they are.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:52 am
You need to ask your own rabbi. Ovens are in most cases kasherable. Dishwashers in most cases are not. It might be helpful for you to get general instructions before you buy a house so you can figure out if you’ll have to buy new appliances but once you own them you’ll want to be specific about which appliances you have.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:45 am
Counters depends on tthe material and how you hold re:kashering certain materials.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:21 pm
If it doesn't have a self clean, you may need to blow torch it.

It is not so simple as just 2 hours on highest temp.

I suggest you reach out your rav.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:28 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
If it doesn't have a self clean, you may need to blow torch it.

It is not so simple as just 2 hours on highest temp.

I suggest you reach out your rav.

It really is that simple, according to most major kashrus agencies. Clean oven can be kashered at 550 for 40 minutes according to Star-K.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
You need to ask your own rabbi. Ovens are in most cases kasherable. Dishwashers in most cases are not. It might be helpful for you to get general instructions before you buy a house so you can figure out if you’ll have to buy new appliances but once you own them you’ll want to be specific about which appliances you have.

This!!! Please speak to your own rabbi. Different rabbanim hold that different things are involved in kashering, and you need to do what YOUR rav holds.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:30 pm
We hired a rav to kasher my kitchen when we moved in.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:31 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
It really is that simple, according to most major kashrus agencies. Clean oven can be kashered at 550 for 40 minutes according to Star-K.

But there are many who don’t hold that way. This is why OP needs to speak with her own rav.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:36 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Of course! It is very easy to do. Either self clean or clean it and turn it on highest temp for 2 hours. How do you think caterers go into hotels for Pesach to serve food? They kasher it.

OP, please please ask your Rav how to kasher an over properly instead of relying on answers from here. There are different opinions on how to kasher a non kosher kitchen.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Dishwasher can't be kashered afaik, counters may need to be blowtorched.
Please ask your Rav how you should go about kashering whatever you need to.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:41 pm
I have also heard of (but don't have contact information for) about services that can come and kosher a nonkosher kitchen for you.
It may be worth investing in if it's for an entire kitchen plus you'll be busy with the move.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:47 pm
GoKosher dot org is a website. They will come to your house and blow torch and generally help with kosher food issues.

I don't know what Gokosher dot com is.

This is the one I mean:

https://gokosher.org/

That is dot ORG.

It is free.

It is considered nice to make a contribution but it is free.

They toivel your dishes too, all of it. Free.

They were very useful to me when we went BT many years ago.

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:49 pm
When I had the same question, I was told that sometimes to do it properly, and depending on your oven, the blowtorch might result in your oven being destroyed.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 12:56 pm
amother Almond wrote:
When I had the same question, I was told that sometimes to do it properly, and depending on your oven, the blowtorch might result in your oven being destroyed.

Yes that is possible. Blow torching is best left to professionals.

https://gokosher.org/

They do it for free.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen